Europe (EU) vs. US SARS-CoV-2 infection rates

Clearly they must be lying:

Old 06-30-20, 03:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11720 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 800 Posts
Much of Europe got hit very hard early in the pandemic, and cases were likely vastly underreported.

Certainly some parts of Italy and Spain approached the levels of disease found in New York and New Jersey.

I suggested in another thread that New York and New Jersey may well be benefiting from a partial Herd Immunity, thus making it easier to knock down the disease (plus having seen first-hand the effects of the pandemic).

Lombardia & Emiglia Romagna are most certainly similar to NY/NJ with those infected.

Now, this can't entirely account for differences in disease spread.

If the Flu/Influenza rate is a proxy for social distancing, I posted a note indicating that the USA seemed to lag behind China by about a month, but much of Europe also seemed to lag behind the USA.

Nonetheless, somehow most of the EU got their COVID numbers down significantly, while we were able to do so in pockets, but nationwide.
Old 06-30-20, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Of course we have a president who has never fully taken this seriously. 127,000 dead, and it is still a "hoax". Supporting reopening protests, but now we see the effects of those.

Locally we have some major outbreaks of graduation parties. Mostly picking up people through contact tracing. Plus a few who apparently are bringing in the virus through "Travelling". Hopefully those will all get isolated and we can get the numbers back down.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-01-20, 06:55 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Of course we have a president who has never fully taken this seriously. 127,000 dead, and it is still a "hoax". Supporting reopening protests, but now we see the effects of those.

Locally we have some major outbreaks of graduation parties. Mostly picking up people through contact tracing. Plus a few who apparently are bringing in the virus through "Travelling". Hopefully those will all get isolated and we can get the numbers back down.
Looks like Oregon is doing pretty well. Should be able to manage it with test, trace, isolate.
Old 07-01-20, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Looks like Oregon is doing pretty well. Should be able to manage it with test, trace, isolate.
I don't know.

We're up a lot since Memorial Day, but still below many other states. The 4th may well also impact us.

Eugene has had some big outbreaks. However, most of the recent cases appear to be the result of two graduation parties, plus travel/imports, without additional local spreading.

Hopefully the Union Church Outbreak is getting under control.

Unfortunately other parts of the state are more gloomy. I don't believe it is quite as tightly controlled up in Portland, and the state has been struggling with a few other outbreaks.

Of course we have the colleges and fall rapidly coming around the corner. It will be an interesting time.
Old 07-01-20, 11:23 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 691 Posts
New study from Sweden gives a glimmer of hope: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53248660
Old 07-01-20, 11:32 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 558 Posts
Clifford, rode past a bar last night and heard the voices of a good time. Couldn't see in so I don't now how full they were or masks or distancing but it was the sound of alcohol and good times. 2 miles from home. Washington County. Not promising.

Ben
Old 07-01-20, 11:41 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 558 Posts
One sobering take I got from that study. Say I acquire those T-cells. Say I now expose myself again and the new virus goes to my lungs. Those T-cells now kill the infected cells on my lungs and keep me healthy. Yes - at the expense of some more lung cells. If this is true, every exposure could be costing us lung capacity. Hope I am wrong. But it sounds like yet another reason to be careful and use all these hated tools - quarantine, distancing, MASKS!.