Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Give Strava a break

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Give Strava a break

Old 07-06-20, 03:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I suggest you actually read this thread before you post and prove that you don't understand the context by somehow missing the salience of my post. You can start with the first post and the article linked.

I stated facts as to why Strava doesn't deserve a "break" when their analogues get none. The defenders continue to use emotion-based arguments that Strava is "good" and anyone who doesn't pay is freeloading. Except it's more likely that if Strava ever turns a profit, it'll be off the back of those same non-paying users. Or maybe they will have invented how to make money out of thin air.
Nope. Still no wheels on your previous post.
Old 07-06-20, 06:09 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
My rides transfer to Strava through my Polar GPS and phone app. So far I haven’t felt the need to pay for Strava. Maybe I will, maybe not.
Old 07-06-20, 11:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
https://strava.app.link/vzFD9AOMN7

so much anger against strava for charging $5 monthly.

why people these days think they should not have to pay for other people’s work but if they don’t pay and have their data used scream scandal?

would people have preferred a British Analytica scandal like Facebook did with private users data?
Why is your view that the only 2 options are they charge a monthly fee or a massive violation of data occurs?

I would argue there are options between those two scenarios you cite.
Old 07-07-20, 12:21 AM
pommieroger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using the free strava for a while and its great for me. if I was into the more techno facts and stats side of things yeah its a small price to pay (well I think so )
Old 07-07-20, 05:16 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why is your view that the only 2 options are they charge a monthly fee or a massive violation of data occurs?

I would argue there are options between those two scenarios you cite.
have multiple come and complain on the 30 seconds ads videos running during their training like Spotify?
have Campagnolo ads appearing in the middle of your segments page that you have to close?
have Shimano ads running on the top of the page or in your feed to make you buy the newest Di2 released?

yes, this would have been an option, but people would have complained anyway.
Old 07-07-20, 06:07 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Adds for breweries along my route would be much appreciated. Actually I'd pay for that too.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-07-20, 06:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Adds for breweries along my route would be much appreciated. Actually I'd pay for that too.
It would be awesome if breweries were marked at all on the route planner, instead we have prominently marked mobile home parks.