Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My old Trek 810

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

My old Trek 810

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 03:40 PM
Kev5171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My old Trek 810

Hi all, my first post here!

I have an old Trek 810 ST 21 Speed
It's well worn but I still love it, so even though it's probably not worth the money I still want to fix it up.

Can anyone tell me the exact specs of the parts I need to order if I want to replace the:
- Front chain rings (whole crankset?)
- Front derailleur
- Rear cassette (although I suspect it's a freewheel)
- Rear derailleur
- Chain

Are they all super specific or can I use generic parts? Which ones?
Thanks!
Old 08-20-20, 04:31 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
So you are looking to replace the entire groupset. The Shimano Altus M2000 groupset is probably a cost effective upgrade or your old system. It sits above Tourney. Things have moved on a bit since your 810 was made. Even the entry level Altus is now 9 speed. It isn't going to be cheap...not that it's expensive in the grand scheme of groupsets...but getting it all at once...and buying a new rear wheel. If you look up the Shimano web site there a whole world of info on groupsets from 7 speed all the way to 12 speed.
​​​​​
Old 07-30-21, 08:34 AM
DrkAngel321

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike!

Stumbled onto this...I had the same bike. It was stolen in 1993. I purchased it sometime between 1986-1987 I believe. I wish I can find another. Would you happen to know what replaced that one?
Old 07-31-21, 04:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by DrkAngel321
Stumbled onto this...I had the same bike. It was stolen in 1993. I purchased it sometime between 1986-1987 I believe. I wish I can find another. Would you happen to know what replaced that one?
Over the early 1990's when mountain bikes started growing suspension forks, bike companies started making hybrids with the same posture, gearing, and all the same convenient frame features, but skinnier road bike tires. The Trek model was the 700 Multi Track. Today's closest descendant would then be the Trek FX. The Marlin is now the entry level mountain bike but I don't think you'd find it much like an 810
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-29-24, 08:08 AM
bloomjbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rebuilding my 810

I have a silver Trek 810 17.5" frame with 3x7 drive train that is in good condition overall. However the wheels aren't great and the shifting is starting to get nasty. I'd like to do a mild rebuild to include wheels and derailleurs / shifters and cables. How do I figure out what wheels I need to buy and can I transfer the cassette or am I better off buying new? I'm not a bike mechanic but I think I can do the disassembly/reassembly if I can identify the right parts.

What is the best way to develop a parts list? The wheels seem to be 27" but I'm not sure what standards they are, etc. Right now it has 37-622 tires. I'd like to buy wheels that allow the widest offroad oriented tire the frame will accommodate.

I've googled but I'm not finding much detail on the 810.
Old 04-29-24, 01:18 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by bloomjbikes
I have a silver Trek 810 17.5" frame with 3x7 drive train that is in good condition overall. However the wheels aren't great and the shifting is starting to get nasty. I'd like to do a mild rebuild to include wheels and derailleurs / shifters and cables. How do I figure out what wheels I need to buy and can I transfer the cassette or am I better off buying new? I'm not a bike mechanic but I think I can do the disassembly/reassembly if I can identify the right parts.

What is the best way to develop a parts list? The wheels seem to be 27" but I'm not sure what standards they are, etc. Right now it has 37-622 tires. I'd like to buy wheels that allow the widest offroad oriented tire the frame will accommodate.

I've googled but I'm not finding much detail on the 810.
Honestly, this would be best posted in Vintage/Classic or Mechanical secton. I hope mods split off your post into a new thread.

Are you somewhere other than the USA? From everything I can find, the 800 series is a steel frame line and was available with many different levels of components. Higher number bikes were build with better components with 850 and 890 at the top. The entire 800 series line has 26" wheels and all of the 810s I can find online have a suspension fork.

So the 37-622 (35x700C) tires are a surprise to me.

Yes you can upgrade it if you desire. I see it's a DIY project? What are the components on the bike?
- front derailleur
- rear derailleur
- controls (likely SRAM twist grips and probably red)
- Freeheel or freehub wheelset (wheel type and hub information)

All necessary to figure out replacement parts since I can't find model specifics while searching the interwebz.

Last edited by Trav1s; 05-01-24 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 01:41 PM
bloomjbikes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev5171
Hi all, my first post here!

I have an old Trek 810 ST 21 Speed
It's well worn but I still love it, so even though it's probably not worth the money I still want to fix it up.

Can anyone tell me the exact specs of the parts I need to order if I want to replace the:
- Front chain rings (whole crankset?)
- Front derailleur
- Rear cassette (although I suspect it's a freewheel)
- Rear derailleur
- Chain

Are they all super specific or can I use generic parts? Which ones?
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
So you are looking to replace the entire groupset. The Shimano Altus M2000 groupset is probably a cost effective upgrade or your old system. It sits above Tourney. Things have moved on a bit since your 810 was made. Even the entry level Altus is now 9 speed. It isn't going to be cheap...not that it's expensive in the grand scheme of groupsets...but getting it all at once...and buying a new rear wheel. If you look up the Shimano web site there a whole world of info on groupsets from 7 speed all the way to 12 speed.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by Trav1s
Honestly, this would be best posted in Vintage/Classic or Mechanical secton. I hope mods split off your post into a new thread.

Are you somewhere other than the USA? From everything I can find, the 800 series is a steel frame line and was available with many different levels of components. Higher number bikes were build with better components with 850 and 890 at the top. The entire 800 series line has 26" wheels and all of the 810s I can find online have a suspension fork.

So the 37-622 (35x700C) tires are a surprise to me.

Yes you can upgrade it if you desire. I see it's a DIY project? What are the components on the bike?
- front derailleur
- rear derailleur
- controls (likely SRAM twist grips and probably red)
- Freeheel or freehub wheelset (wheel type and hub information)

All necessary to figure out replacement parts since I can't find model specifics while searching the interwebz.
I agree what you're saying. Yes it would be a DIY. several years ago the front gripshift failed so I bought one online and replaced it. It came with SRAM MRX shifters. The tires are ones I also installed at that time. I don't recall the original tires. I assume it is a freehub but am not certain.
Old 04-30-24, 09:35 AM
bloomjbikes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So I can't tell you why but I goofed up completely on this old Trek. Its a 700 Multitrack not an 810. That's what going from memory will get you. oops! I will look into it further in the vintage section.
Old 04-30-24, 06:48 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

So I can't tell you why but I goofed up completely on this old Trek. Its a 700 Multitrack not an 810. That's what going from memory will get you. oops! I will look into it further in the vintage section.
Well you're in luck! I just rebuilt a curb find 730 Multitrack and you can see my project here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-wettrek.html

The 730 is essentially the same bike with higher level components and a full CrMo frame. Please feel free to ask any questions about the project as I learned a bunch along the way. The end result was worth the effort - it's smooth, comfortable, and easy to ride plus has a great modern drivetrain.

What color is yours? This is from vintage-trek.com

700 Multitrack/city/bike path
91, white with blue decals on silver and green, also sapphire blue with yellow decals on white and silver. (NOTE: on some bikes the "yellow" decals are bright green.)
92, pearl white with teal decals, also sour grape with red decals, also (from reports by site visitors) sour grape with white decals)
93, teal to black fade with silver decals, also red with white decals
94, blue gray to black fade with gray decals, also Champagne with purple decals
95, black with ice blue decals, also ice blue/ice violet fade with white decals
96, titanium/steel blue fade with navy blue decals, also ice green with white decals
97, gloss mirror red with white decals, also gloss mirror black with silver decals
98, silver/titanium fade with red decals, also ice inkwell with silver decals, also pearl blue with white decals
99, metal flake titanium (with black or dark grey graphics with red outline) also pearl navy with silver decals
00, pearl navy, also pearl white with gold decals, also (from report by site visitor) Champagne with gold decals
01, rainforest (green), also graphite/bright silver fade, also pearl white/red fade.
11, metallic navy

Old 05-01-24, 09:12 AM
bloomjbikes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tools and parts list to move this bike into its next life

Trav1s Thank you for the insights and the link to your 730 rebuild thread. I was going to upload pictures of my 700 but I don't have enough posts yet. According to the list above it is a 1998 - Silver/Red decals. It was my wife's bike during her college years. In decent shape but the shifting is not good. I hate gripshifts anyway so I want to do a minor upgrade build to include shifters derailleurs, and new bottom bracket. My goal is to make it a very nice bike path / 1/2 decent light duty trail/gravel use bike. I'm willing to spend a few bucks to do this but want to keep it in check. The ergonomics seem great to me. handlebars, etc.

I have plenty of tools from my car hobby but no bike speciality stuff so I don't have the tools to remove the crank, bottom bracket, etc. I welcome your direction in picking out the basic tools I'd need to make this happen and identifying the components.

I assume I'll do a chain and all new cables while I'm at it.

-Tools required for bottom bracket, etc.
-Shifters
-Derailleurs
-Chain
-brake cables
-derailleur cables
-grips

-The wheels aren't perfect but not annoying to ride. If I could upgrade them from the weismann 519's for reasonable money I'd consider it
-How wide of a tire can I run in this frame?
Old 05-01-24, 02:50 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Great resource:
https://vintage-trek.com/trek-fisher-klein-lemond.htm

Sales brochure that site:
https://vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher...d/1998trek.pdf

Spec manual from that site:
https://vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher...manualTrek.pdf

Old 05-01-24, 02:58 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I'd suggest copying this discussion into a new thread in the Classic/Vintage section so that the Multitrack fans see it and more easily chime in. While there is some overlap, this is would be better over there in a NEW thread.

Trav1s Thank you for the insights and the link to your 730 rebuild thread. I was going to upload pictures of my 700 but I don't have enough posts yet. According to the list above it is a 1998 - Silver/Red decals. It was my wife's bike during her college years. In decent shape but the shifting is not good. I hate gripshifts anyway so I want to do a minor upgrade build to include shifters derailleurs, and new bottom bracket. My goal is to make it a very nice bike path / 1/2 decent light duty trail/gravel use bike. I'm willing to spend a few bucks to do this but want to keep it in check. The ergonomics seem great to me. handlebars, etc.

I have plenty of tools from my car hobby but no bike speciality stuff so I don't have the tools to remove the crank, bottom bracket, etc. I welcome your direction in picking out the basic tools I'd need to make this happen and identifying the components.
There a many options available for square taper crank removal out there. You will need the crank arm removal & bottom bracket removal. I went with a Park Tools crank remover and a generic BB removal tool from Amazon. Others may have suggestions for you. I'm a car guy and choose to spend the money on good tools. Don't forget a good cable cutter - Park tool seems to be the best with this one..

I assume I'll do a chain and all new cables while I'm at it.

-Tools required for bottom bracket, etc.
-Shifters
-Derailleurs
-Chain
-brake cables
-derailleur cables
-grips
Easiest thing to do is purchase new front/rear derailleurs and stick with the 3x7 setup. While doing the chain, I'd also replace the cassette and start fresh. Are the cable housings good? You could just install new cables and lube the housings when doing the install. If you can find a set of standalone shifters, install them with new cables and set everything up.

-The wheels aren't perfect but not annoying to ride. If I could upgrade them from the weismann 519's for reasonable money I'd consider it
-How wide of a tire can I run in this frame?
I'd stick with original wheelset for now and install new tubes/tires. I know that 38x700c fit with easy but don't have experience with it. Try a google search for tire fitment on Trek 700/720/730/750 Multitrack. My 730 arrived with 38s on it and I went with 35s because that I what I had on hand.

Last edited by Trav1s; 05-01-24 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-01-24, 03:52 PM
bloomjbikes

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reposting to new thread

Thanks for your help. I’ll repost.
Likes For bloomjbikes:
Old 05-01-24, 06:26 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!