Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Seating tubeless tire

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Seating tubeless tire

Old 07-27-20, 04:08 PM
robkyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seating tubeless tire

I’ve been running tubeless on my mountain bike, and it is definitely the way to go. Lower tire pressure means a smother ride, and potential flats just seal themselves up. Lately I’ve been able to hear a ball of tire sealant rolling around in my rear tire, so I decided it was time for some maintenance. I removed the wheel, took the tire off, removed the ball of goo, and cleaned the inside of the tire (that was a lot of work). I got the tire back on the wheel and used my air compressor to attempt to seat the tire. But because of gaps between the tire and the rim wall, I’m not able to seat the tire. I tried to work the tire to sit prettier in the rim, but to no avail. Also watched a couple of YouTube videos, but didn’t really see this issue being addressed. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

Last edited by robkyle; 07-27-20 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-27-20, 07:23 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Rob,

I would try to get the beads of the tires as much to the outside of the rim as possible. That is where they seal.
If you have a compressor you should then be able to pump it fast enough.
You can also remove the valve from the valve stem for better airflow.
Once the tire is seated you will have to go back to install the valve again.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-27-20, 08:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If all other avenues have failed you, you can put a ratcheting tie-down around the circumference of tire, click it down a bit (to force the beads toward the bead hooks) then hit it with the air from the compressor.
Old 07-28-20, 02:24 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Just checking--do you have sealant in there? It can be easier to seat with sealant already installed, even though its messy. Also make sure you remove the valve core from the valve--this will drastically improve airflow. You can stop it with your finger when the tire is seated, and quickly reinsert the core without losing all the air/spraying sealant everywhere.
Old 07-28-20, 06:47 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I've usually been able to get stubborn tires to inflate just by bouncing them around on the ground to force the tire out more towards the bead then trying with the compressor again. You can also try spraying the tire down with soapy water to make it slippery and easier for it to move onto the bead.
Old 07-29-20, 05:39 AM
jlockwood98
Dino Sore

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried applying soapy water to the tire bead? I keep a spray bottle of water and dish soap and that usually works. For problematic tires, I will fill a bucket with really soapy water and apply it liberally with a brush. That always does the trick.

With regard to the compressor, I always had problems using the standard schrader air chuck with a presta adapter. Removing the presta valve core can sometimes help with getting more air into the tire and seating the beads. I finally bought a Prestacycle Prestaflator which works great. It has a lever to give you a blast of air, and a variety of chucks including a couple that work on presta valves.

Also, if you want to clean out the tire, only remove the bead on one side. That makes it a lot easier to get the tire to reseat.
Old 07-30-20, 05:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Are you removing the valve core before trying to seat the tires?

You need a lot of air flow and the valve core slows it down a lot.
Old 07-31-20, 09:54 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
I use a floor pump - fast - faster -FASTEST! It always works eventually! 🙃

You need to get it to seat so don’t stop until pop, pop, pop - at about the 45 lb Mark usually.
Old 07-31-20, 10:32 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I tried this (with a basic floor pump), couldn't get it to work. Maybe it will work for you with a compressor. Basically: use a tire lever to seat the bead about half the circumference on each side.