Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are disc specific rims a requirement?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-11-09, 12:07 PM
daven1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am looking to build a front wheel and have disc brakes. Are disc specific rims a requirement? If they aren't, do they provide any benefit over normal rims?

Thanks

Daven
Old 12-11-09, 12:17 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, 92 Hardrock commuter, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Definitely not a requirement, but due to the lack of a need for a braking surface are often a bit lighter.
Old 12-11-09, 01:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3473 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike View Post
Definitely not a requirement, but due to the lack of a need for a braking surface are often a bit lighter.
Not necessarily. Mavic XM-717 discs are listed as weight 460g while the XM-717 weighs 475g. However the XM-317 disc weighs 445g while the XM-317 weighs 440g. The XM-117 disc weighs 457g while the XM-117 weighs 440g. I don't see why the nondisc rims weigh less, unless it's due to the machined brake track. Overall, the weight differences wouldn't be noticable.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 12-11-09, 01:37 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
some disk rims look really cool. And of course, you can use those 'pretty' coloured deep v's without needing the machined brake track.
Old 12-11-09, 02:17 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you build disc wheels using non-disc rims, they can be used on milpitple bikes if needed too.
Old 12-11-09, 03:08 PM
daven1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well the wheel will only be used on 2 bikes, both with disc brakes. However I read somewhere that suggested that the dishing of the wheel is different due to the disc brake rotor, and that disc specific rims are built for this dishing so you don't need extra tension in 1/2 the spokes.

Thanks
Old 12-11-09, 04:22 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986 View Post
..I read somewhere that suggested that the dishing of the wheel is different due to the disc brake rotor,
So it is.
.... and that disc specific rims are built for this dishing
They could be, but I haven't seen any with that feature.

....you don't need extra tension in 1/2 the spokes.
Well, the dishing offset you need to make place for the rotor in a front wheel is nothing compared to the dish most rear wheels have to be built with b/c of the cassette, and they do fairly well despite that. For a rear it's even less of an issue.
Old 12-11-09, 04:40 PM
daven1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fair enough, good points there dabac thanks
Old 12-11-09, 04:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3473 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 587 Posts
well the wheel will only be used on 2 bikes, both with disc brakes. However I read somewhere that suggested that the dishing of the wheel is different due to the disc brake rotor, and that disc specific rims are built for this dishing so you don't need extra tension in 1/2 the spokes.

Thanks
There are off-center rims but those are used for compensating for dish on the rear wheel. The off-center drilling goes in the wrong direction for compensating for the disc. You might be able to turn them over but that usually leads to the spokes leaving the rim at a weird angle.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 12-11-09, 05:29 PM
daven1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well as it doesn't seem to be much of an issue for rear rims - as dabac says - then it should be all good with discs on normal rims. If it isn't though, I'm only buying a cheap rim so it can wait until I need a rear wheel on a non-disc bike!

They do look nice though...but cost 10 euros more!
Old 12-11-09, 07:08 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
There are off-center rims but those are used for compensating for dish on the rear wheel. The off-center drilling goes in the wrong direction for compensating for the disc. You might be able to turn them over but that usually leads to the spokes leaving the rim at a weird angle.
I didn't notice any weird angles when I built my front disc wheel using an IRD Cadence VSR rim (700c). Got almost even tension left and right though. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention but it seems to me that spoke holes are drilled towards the centerline of the rim, not angled to account for a crossed-spoked wheel (I realize they are offset for left/right sides). If they were angled as you say, a radially spoked wheel would be subject to some of that angular weirdness too (though only half as much as with the flipped rim situation). However, I don't think rims are drilled that way. All rims would need to be marked for left/right if they were, unless I'm missing something.
Old 12-14-09, 05:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
.. it seems to me that spoke holes are drilled towards the centerline of the rim, not angled to account for a crossed-spoked wheel (I realize they are offset for left/right sides). If they were angled as you say, a radially spoked wheel would be subject to some of that angular weirdness too (though only half as much as with the flipped rim situation). However, I don't think rims are drilled that way. All rims would need to be marked for left/right if they were, unless I'm missing something.
Rims are indeed drilled with alternate angles for left/right flange, but whether there's any alignment intended to deal with the flange height (and numbers of crosses) or not I can't tell.
But I can tell that you need to be pushing the envelope a fair bit before it becomes a problem.

Rims are drilled for the key spoke going to a specific flange. If you're building with all new bits this isn't a problem, there's always a doable pattern available.
(warning: some speculation ahead) If you have a used hub and a rim that's entirely symmetrical this isn't a problem either. You can always flip the rim over(have it rotating "backwards) and it should sort the pattern out.
If you have a used hub and a side specific rim (either through decals or through offset drilling) you might have an issue with getting the key spoke and the wear notches in the hub flanges to line up.
But low profile rims can usually be built lateral cross with what appears like zero consequences.
Old 12-14-09, 05:48 AM
daven1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rim and hub are both brand new

Have ordered the Mavic A119 rim - not disc specific. When they come will get the LBS to build up the wheel thanks for the help.