Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

1st Day Back...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

1st Day Back...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 08:45 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
1st Day Back...

I've been absent from these forums for about half a year now. I met my first (I'm sure it won't be my last) physical challenge that kept me off the bike for much longer than I want. I was finally diagnosed with Iliotibial Band Syndrome. It was virtually impossible to ride. Climbing stairs was quite painful, and walking more than 100 yards was a challenge. I was so down about this sudden change in ability, that I couldn't even think about bikes or anything to do with them. As those around me said, I was in a funk. Today, however, was the first day where I rode without any pain. I'm eager for tomorrow morning to see if I'm pain free. (I really think I will be.). And, I'm feeling like there is hope for cycling again. For those who have recovered from much more serious conditions to continue riding, you have my admiration and respect.
Old 03-18-15, 09:03 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Welcome back, best wishes, and thanks for the post.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-18-15, 09:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Welcome back. I know a little bit of what you've been through - I've had injuries and other problems that have kept me off the bike for similar periods of time. "normal" (i.e., non-riders) in my life have no idea how much injury this does to my spirits. When I haven't been able to ride and haven't even been sure if I could ever come back to riding, I haven't been able to read this forum - it's just too psychically painful.

I truly hope you are on the road to full recovery and have many miles in your near future. Of course, you'll have to take it one ride at a time, and have some patience, but there's nothing like a bike ride to lift one's spirits, even if it's a shadow of the ride you used to do.
Old 03-18-15, 10:00 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Welcome back. Now that you have a ride under your belt the future will look much better. I have had my share of injuries and always missed riding. It helps you to appreciate the times you can ride. I hope your next rides go as well.
Old 03-18-15, 10:14 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
NOS, have you tracked down what caused the ITB issue in the first place?

I had it chronically for about a year, and exacerbated it when pushing hard at low cadence (generally while touring, but also on a highly geared road bike).

I also fiddled with the Q on my cranks a little -- using MTB cranks means one side can be further away from the seat tube or centreline than the other. Cleats weren't an issue because I was using Time Atac with generous float. However, I also trimmed away a small section of the sole of my shoe so that I could clip out more easily -- the rubber was fouling the springs in the pedals and I had to use more than usual force to twist out the cleat, and that was a big problem for me late in a 600km randonnee when I almost fell off the bike trying to unclip.

Those changes along with riding at higher cadences, lower gears up hills with loads and using a stretch helped overcome the issue.

I get an occasional twinge, and this more so now I have gone to Shimano pedals (but with the 3-degree float).; I've recently rotated the cleat on one of my new pair of shoes to help solve that twinge.
Old 03-19-15, 05:34 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Its good to see a note from you, hopefully your trouble with the ITB are on the way out. Most of us here can well identify with what you have been dealing with, take it easy to start out and ramp up as you feel best.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-19-15, 06:01 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Good for you that your issue had been diagnosed, solution prescribed with actions leading to positive results. Keep on biking.
Old 03-19-15, 08:40 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Welcome back ... again. I don't know which was worse, your untimely "death" or the 6 month absence without knowing.
Old 03-19-15, 09:29 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Glad to hear you're better. I had ITB but milder 10-15 yrs ago. Spent 6 wks doing physical therapy then still did some of the exercises for quite a while after that. Sometimes while stretching my back I can still feel extra tightness. Good luck with your continued recovery.
Old 03-19-15, 09:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I had ITB syndrome too a few years ago and it also took me about 6 months to get rid of it entirely. mostly I think, for me, because I didn't get on the foam roller band wagon right away. what do you attribute your recovery to?

back on the bike I would caution to stay away from
cold temps
gearing too high
I forget the 3rd thing sorry, maybe saddle to high?

anyway, take it easy and build up your strength if you haven't been using an indoor trainer

welcome back! have fun!
Old 03-19-15, 09:49 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back! I didn't know you were gone, because I was gone, too, for about a year and a half or more. Good to see you and hear your optimism. Best of luck!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-19-15, 09:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Oh oh! First we have the Deege coming back and now we have NOS88. There goes the neighborhood. Happy days are here again.
Old 03-19-15, 09:56 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a cold, cruel world.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Oh oh! First we have the Deege coming back and now we have NOS88. There goes the neighborhood. Happy days are here again.

Old 03-19-15, 10:03 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It's a cold, cruel world.
I had almost turned into a lurker on 50+. For better or worse, I may turn back into a regular poster again.
Old 03-19-15, 12:22 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gosh I hope so! I love your posts...

I had almost turned into a lurker on 50+. For better or worse, I may turn back into a regular poster again.

Old 03-19-15, 12:41 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Welcome back NOS88. I know nothing about the condition, but it sounds like others have overcome it, so here's hoping for a full recovery.
Old 03-19-15, 12:55 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Welcome back young man and hope things are on the mend for you..
Old 03-19-15, 03:06 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I remember my year away from biking due to a bulging disk in my neck; and like you and MinMann, when I didn't know if I'd be able to return, I couldn't bear to read bikeforums.net. Welcome back, with prayers for your ongoing recovery.
Old 03-19-15, 06:34 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, tenacity! Welcome back, sir!
Old 03-19-15, 07:59 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
NOS, have you tracked down what caused the ITB issue in the first place?

I had it chronically for about a year, and exacerbated it when pushing hard at low cadence (generally while touring, but also on a highly geared road bike).

I also fiddled with the Q on my cranks a little -- using MTB cranks means one side can be further away from the seat tube or centreline than the other. Cleats weren't an issue because I was using Time Atac with generous float. However, I also trimmed away a small section of the sole of my shoe so that I could clip out more easily -- the rubber was fouling the springs in the pedals and I had to use more than usual force to twist out the cleat, and that was a big problem for me late in a 600km randonnee when I almost fell off the bike trying to unclip.

Those changes along with riding at higher cadences, lower gears up hills with loads and using a stretch helped overcome the issue.

I get an occasional twinge, and this more so now I have gone to Shimano pedals (but with the 3-degree float).; I've recently rotated the cleat on one of my new pair of shoes to help solve that twinge.
Yes, we know that initial injury was an overstretching of the ITB during a misstep and knee twisting event. It was misdiagnosed & the physical therapy actually made it worse. However, that did lead to a more accurate diagnosis. It seems that over developed quads contribute to the gluteus medius and minimus being under used. This then creates a higher risk for ITB syndrome. So, I'm working on exercises to (as my son says) strengthen my a$$.

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Welcome back ... again. I don't know which was worse, your untimely "death" or the 6 month absence without knowing.
Perhaps I should adopt the name Phoenix

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I had ITB syndrome too a few years ago and it also took me about 6 months to get rid of it entirely. mostly I think, for me, because I didn't get on the foam roller band wagon right away. what do you attribute your recovery to?
Given I was dealing with an overstretched band, the foam rollers turned out to actually make the situation worse. So, as mentioned above, I worked on the ole a$$. Actually it turns out the moderate hiking with a backpack is an easy way to engage these muscles. So, I took progressively longer, moderately paced, walks with a backpack.

Oh, yes, and a big thanks for all the well wishes. They truly are appreciated.
Old 03-20-15, 07:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by NOS88
Yes, we know that initial injury was an overstretching of the ITB during a misstep and knee twisting event. It was misdiagnosed & the physical therapy actually made it worse. However, that did lead to a more accurate diagnosis. It seems that over developed quads contribute to the gluteus medius and minimus being under used. This then creates a higher risk for ITB syndrome. So, I'm working on exercises to (as my son says) strengthen my a$$.
Hmmmm. I see potential for a recumbent bicycle in your future.
Old 03-20-15, 07:46 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Welcome back - exercise sure doesn't get any easier with age. Keep up the good work, and start getting some miles....
Old 03-20-15, 04:57 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice to see you NOS. I haven't been as active on the forums lately, still cycling, but not on the forums much until lately.
Old 03-29-15, 04:46 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88

Perhaps I should adopt the name Phoenix

Given I was dealing with an overstretched band, the foam rollers turned out to actually make the situation worse. So, as mentioned above, I worked on the ole a$$. Actually it turns out the moderate hiking with a backpack is an easy way to engage these muscles. So, I took progressively longer, moderately paced, walks with a backpack.

Oh, yes, and a big thanks for all the well wishes. They truly are appreciated.
glad to see you back. know what you mean about the funk after an injury. it seems for your case you know the cause. for benefit of others wishing to learn about this:

Iliotibial band syndrome in runners: innovations in treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

as you say we cyclists need a strong butt!
Old 03-29-15, 10:41 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently started reading and posting again. Good to see some of the old regulars returning.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.