Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Early commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Early commuting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 06:49 PM
rylhwk

Bikes: 2010 kona jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early commuting

Considering riding to work when my wife finishes her Monday-Friday job, she'll only work weekends 3 times a month. Problem would be leaving my house at roughly 4:00am for about 8mile ride. Only about 1 mile on county road and rest would be on gravel. As long as I be at work by 5:00am I'd beat the main work traffic. Riding home wouldn't be that big of an issue. Would you do it and how many of you ride this early in the morning?
Old 03-14-18, 07:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
If you have to be at work by 5 am you have to be out early anyway, whether it's cycling or driving, or transit. A couple of issues comes to mind for me given your situation.

1. What kind of gravel are we talking about and what kind of bike are you using? Fine crushed or bigger. Fine crushed gravel/limestone is fine, and is not a big concern. If it's rougher than this, then bigger tires or a MTB would be more suitable.

2. You need good/bright lights if the gravel trail is not lit, and even if it is, you need good bright lights, both front and back.

I'd imagine if you're on a secluded gravel track for most of the way it'd be a pretty relaxing and tranquil ride to work. I'd totally do it.
Old 03-14-18, 07:36 PM
rylhwk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a welder with our shift starting at 5:30am-4:00pm. Regular Iowa gravel roads that I'm familiar with. Already have very good lights and probably get a few more items for visibility. Ride a 2010 Kona Jake with 35mm kenda tyres.
Old 03-14-18, 08:22 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I don't think you need 90 minutes to ride eight miles. Leaving at 4:30 should leave you plenty of time to get there. Sounds like you're good to go.
Old 03-14-18, 08:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
That's a magic time to ride. Quiet. Do it! (I had a commute into Portland and started at 4:30) Loved leaving work early afternoon and beating the afternoon rush hour by hours.

Ben
Old 03-15-18, 04:24 AM
rylhwk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4:00am for awhile just in case anything would go wrong and currently way out of shape. Hopefully in time could knock that down and leave later.
Old 03-15-18, 04:51 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by rylhwk
I'm a welder with our shift starting at 5:30am-4:00pm. Regular Iowa gravel roads that I'm familiar with. Already have very good lights and probably get a few more items for visibility. Ride a 2010 Kona Jake with 35mm kenda tyres.

Have you done a trial run yet? I would. Try rolling out of bed on the weekend like you would on a work day.

I'd avoid wearing a backpack on the back, do you have a rack on the bike?

Do you guys have lockers or something there? Maybe drop off your work boots along with a backpack that has stuff to freshen up with - wipes, deodorant, and a couple of sets of clean clothes. Change out of the bike clothing when you get to work. I'd guess you could get by with the same set of work clothes all week if you just brought a pair of clean underwear, socks, and an under shirt each day. But I know you probably wear full length clothing that's somewhat rugged when welding, last place I worked that did welding there was no a/c in the summer and you sweat to beat hell.

Biggest obstacle will be the mental thing of getting on the bike when it's cold and damp out, just remember that within 5 minutes of riding you'll feel better.

I carry a spare inner tube with me to quickly swap incase I get a flat, carrying a co2 inflater will expedite the process. I'd practice changing the tire a few times just to brush up as well.
Old 03-15-18, 05:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
… Problem would be leaving my house at roughly 4:00am for about 8 mile ride. Only about 1 mile on county road and rest would be on gravel.

As long as I be at work by 5:00 am I'd beat the main work traffic. Riding home wouldn't be that big of an issue. Would you do it and how many of you ride this early in the morning?
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't think you need 90 minutes [sic] to ride eight miles. Leaving at 4:30 should leave you plenty of time to get there. Sounds like you're good to go.
4:00am for a while just in case anything would go wrong and currently way out of shape. Hopefully in time could knock that down and leave later.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That's a magic time to ride. Quiet. Do it
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

Have you done a trial run yet? I would. Try rolling out of bed on the weekend like you would on a work day…

Biggest obstacle will be the mental thing of getting on the bike when it's cold and damp out, just remember that within 5 minutes of riding you'll feel better.

I carry a spare inner tube with me to quickly swap in case I get a flat,carrying a co2 inflater will expedite the process. I'd practice changing the tire a few times just to brush up as well..
Make it x3.

I’m a year-round commuter with a usual commute of 14 miles one-way (with options of Commuter Rail to get home, shorten length, or even replace the bike ride). On this recent thread, "So do you track? How do you track? and what do you track?," I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On my Excell spreadsheet I track…[including]
  • Arrival time at work: To better schedule my commute. I once had a field entitled “5 AM checkpoint” to note where I was at that time. In recent years it’s been, “6 AM
  • Excuses (not to ride): Too frequent…say no more.
…I have a really great commute that belies, IMO, the image of Boston as a city unfriendly to bicycling. I live in Downtown and ride to a suburb 14 miles distant in the reverse traffic commuting pattern.

Then in the evening, I take my bike back to Boston on a commuter rail train, since the train is empty on the reverse commute. The Train Station is about 3 minutes from work, the Downtown Station is about two miles from home, and the train ride is about one-half hour long…

I furthermore usually leave home before 6:00 AM, and this is my idea of Peace on Earth. To train for a century, I just do ever-lengthening routes to work.
When the train schedule for the return trip advanced to one hour later, my departure time also did. One question I have is how flexible is your start time? Mine is very flexible, with all my colleagues arriving about 8 AM, but I often have things to do much earlier, at one of my peak energy times.

At those early departure times, I would think its's hard to build in extra time for rare, but unanticipated occurrences. Also, what kind of help might be available on gravel roads at that time..."The call of shame."

Sometimes I have to absolutely be there for an early start time. I posted about those concerns early in my career, to this thread, "whats the scariest part of your ride????."
I have on occasion had nightmares about ABSOLUTELY needing to be at work at 7:30 AM, and being nowhere near there.

Rarely in reality I have found myself in that situation, but had more leeway than in my nightmares....
Once, I got in late for a conference because I was on a new route and got lost. When I realized that, I called a cab to take me and the bike in, about 20 minutes late, but "no harm, no foul."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-15-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 08:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I say do it. You'll encounter problems, and you'll come up with solutions. The challenges will be around equipment and clothing. But as others say, it sounds like a lovely time and place to ride a bike. It will be your time of quiet solitude. For me, riding my bike between home and work is my soul work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-15-18, 09:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Add me to the "go for it!" chorus. You can figure out what you need to take and how to take it as you go. Leaving that early and welding, you might not even have to change -- it will probably be cool on the way in, and you're going to get warm working anyways.
Old 03-15-18, 09:38 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Absolutely! Sometimes I've left as early as 4:30am, but my usual departure time for my morning commute is 5:30. Like others have said, it's a magical time of day.

Visibility is key--I have 4 red lights--a combo of one blinking and 3 steady--and a decent white light. I also wear a construction vest, and my panniers and tires also have reflective material on them.

I've found, that in my neighborhood especially, the construction vest encourages people to give me the 3ft/1m passing room when I ride on the street. But the tranquility of riding on gravel & MUP is my favorite part of the commute.
Old 03-15-18, 10:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I leave the house at 4:45 AM for a 5.5 mile ride to the station to catch a train that leaves at 5:13. It's a wonderful time to be out on a bike, but dark year round (except for a bit of twilight around the summer solstice). I live on a state highway, two lanes, pretty busy most times but in the morning I often don't see a single car. Lots of deer, though, and the occasional skunk, fox, etc.

You will want good lights. My commuter bike(s) have dynamo hub and headlight and taillight always on.
Old 03-15-18, 10:43 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
My alarm clock goes off at 5:30, on an ideal day I'm on the road by 5:45. But usually I snooze til 5:50 or so, spend 10-20min reigning on the porcelain throne and browsing magazines, and get out by 6:15 or 6:30
Old 03-15-18, 04:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Unsolicited advice: Have everything ready the night before. I leave my house at 5:30-45 and have everything packed and ready the night before.

-Kedosto
(hitting' the snooze button)
Old 03-16-18, 02:36 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
No qualms about riding at 4am. I don't leave that early, but sometimes I'm out the door at 5am and I find that's a nice time to ride.

The bigger issue for me is the gravel. I'm sure it's fun to ride on a weekend, but for commuting? It may get very muddy in the rain, remain unplowed after a snowstorm, and become washboarded if there is any vehicular traffic during the day. It's also a lot harder to see obstacles with a bike light, even a powerful one. I assume you have a change of clothes at work and you're prepared for weekly chain cleaning and other maintenance. OTOH, at least you won't have much car traffic to contend with.
Old 03-16-18, 04:49 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Go for it - riding at first light is great. I go in early occasionally to open the warehouse for early deliveries or collections which usually means leaving home about 5:30.

My commute's about 15 miles and takes me along the seafront in Burnham - if I'm there that early I'll nearly always stop for 10 minutes for a coffee (another tip, get a Deboyo bottle for a hot coffee en route) and enjoy the view.

That time in the morning the traffic is much better and the wind generally seems to be much lighter as well.

My normal route in is a mixture of gravel paths, country lanes, and main roads for what it's worth.

General advice - I'd reiterate what's been said above - have everything ready the night before so all you have to do is have a quick breakfast (I have a bowl of porridge), make coffee, then you're good to go.

As above, lights are essential. Inhave a solid light plus a flashing light back and front. Have them charged and clipped onto the bike ready to go.

In Winter it's going to be cold before the sun comes up - gloves and overshoes are essential. I put mine on the kitchen radiator overnight so they're warm when I pull them on.

For the same reason be careful in the Winter - patches of frost that melt as soon as the sun comes up may be present at dawn so watch out for them, especially on smaller roads that might not be gritted.

Above all enjoy the ride!

Last edited by ExPatTyke; 03-16-18 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 08:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
sounds good, do a trial run some quiet Sunday morning looking at Google Earth & street view looks like the gravel roads in your area are really high quality!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
iowa gravel.jpg (128.3 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-16-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 09:55 AM
Mikarad

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
early commute

Go for it. I start before 5:30, takes about an hour. Like the good people have said, get all your stuff ready the night before. then get out and enjoy the best time of day for cycling. Have good lights to see AND to be seen. Flashing lights front and back are better than just having solid lights. reflective ankle band helps to catch the dozy drivers attention too. I use a combo of lights and reflective accessories. Since you're on gravel have a good bright light more suited to trails(wide pattern) so the holes and sharp rocks in front of you are obvious. I ride in the country as well and critters coming out of the ditches suddenly is unnerving. Almost got hit by a deer once.
Enjoy your time of peace and quiet, don't make it a chore to ride, and you'll really have a good experience
Old 03-16-18, 10:30 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I usually like my gravel commute but this morning I discovered they had put down fresh gravel recently, ugh. That really slows me down. Very few cars though. I have to leave a little after 5:00 to catch my bus in Dallas.
Old 03-16-18, 11:04 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I'd prerun the route in the daytime for better visibility and then go for it if it looks good. My attempts at finding my new bank in the dark were more interesting than they should have been, even good lights don't show all the details you can see in the daylight.
Old 03-16-18, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Only Long Haul truckers and emergency vehicles and Log Truck drivers on their way to get the 1st load on the road around here.. then.
Old 03-16-18, 11:21 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
My commute's about 15 miles and takes me along the seafront in Burnham - if I'm there that early I'll nearly always stop for 10 minutes for a coffee (another tip, get a Deboyo bottle for a hot coffee en route) and enjoy the view.

Not being familiar with that brand, I searched for it and found Deboyo | Elite Cycling .

Best for competition use? There's such a thing as competitive coffee drinking??
Old 03-16-18, 12:02 PM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not being familiar with that brand, I searched for it and found Deboyo | Elite Cycling .

Best for competition use? There's such a thing as competitive coffee drinking??
That's the one - you can buy them through Amazon or SIS, I got mine with a voucher I had from SIS. Not tried competition yet though, still in daily training
Old 03-16-18, 05:03 PM
ReclusiveOne

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Workcycles Kruisframe

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I start work at 5am but only live approximately 1 mile from work so I'm normally out they door around 4:30-4:40. There's also a large retirement community that I cut through for 3/4 of my trip. At that time of the morning there are only the occasional maintenance guy going through the community so its all quiet with no traffic. Makes for a decent ride. I've got a decent light up front and a red blinker on the back and another solid red light on the messenger bag I take to work for safety.
Old 03-16-18, 06:54 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sounds good, do a trial run some quiet Sunday morning looking at Google Earth & street view looks like the gravel roads in your area are really high quality!
They got gussied up for picture day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.