Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many Rear Lights Do you Have?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How many Rear Lights Do you Have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 09:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Changing my ways...

Originally Posted by Koyote
There is some evidence to suggest that a flashing light is more visible to motorists, but a steady beam makes it easier for motorists to gauge distance. So, on my commuter bike, I run one of each - and I have them spread as far apart as possible, with one on the seatpost and one on the non-drive side seatstay.
I had bought into the "solid is better for gauging distance" as my basis for running solid red rear lights both night and day. But this thread got me to thinking that during the day (at least with good visibility, not rain or fog) that my threats should be able to gauge distance based on, well, seeing all of me and the bike.

So I've changed my practice and I'm running flashing rear during good daylight visibility. I went out for an exercise ride this afternoon and came home at dusk. I had to remind myself to stop and switch to solid when it got dark.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-20, 11:30 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
0, 1 or 3. They are USB rechargeable and I put them on when needed. 1 for short rides, but when finishing college I'd get out at night and have to ride 16 miles home; I'd put my school gear in the basket, with the folded rolling cart furthermost back secured with bungee cord. On the handle, I'd mount a light, and on the two sides I'd hang lights with G hooks angled for side view. Otherwise, I put the one on the seat post. Area is suburb/urban and street lighting is good, but there are dark patches...
Old 04-20-20, 07:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I had bought into the "solid is better for gauging distance" as my basis for running solid red rear lights both night and day. But this thread got me to thinking that during the day (at least with good visibility, not rain or fog) that my threats should be able to gauge distance based on, well, seeing all of me and the bike.

So I've changed my practice and I'm running flashing rear during good daylight visibility. I went out for an exercise ride this afternoon and came home at dusk. I had to remind myself to stop and switch to solid when it got dark.

Thanks!
Good point.
Old 04-25-20, 11:09 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have 4 red taillights. One is on the helmet, there's one on the left side handlebar, another on the seatpost, and I have one on the seatstay. Sometimes I have 5, because I have a collapsible cane with a bike taillight mounted on it hanging from a belt loop on my hip. I have four headlights as well. I run all the lights and cameras day or night.

I have noticed that drivers give more room behind and alongside since I added all the taillights, but I also have multiple cameras recording too.

Last edited by dragoonO1; 04-25-20 at 04:24 PM. Reason: video, photo
Old 04-25-20, 02:03 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I have a front and rear camera with flashing red light on the rear. I also have the lights that came on the bike. They are solid white in front and red rear. I also have a Monkey light on the rear of both my commuter (Trek 520 from 2008) and Trek Verve + 2 (2019). I also have a rear flasher with rechargeable battery that I need to build a case for. It is five LED flashers as on a fire or safety vehicle. The lack of common sense of the drivers around Cameron in the state of Misery is such that you have to almost blind them to get them to stop their texting even for a few seconds. They are quite self-entitled. I WON'T be more polite than that. I have been missed by inches in the dark with all my lights going and a construction safety vest on. I wear it no matter what kind of riding I'm doing. Even road biking. My lights are on day and night or I find out why before riding. PLEASE be CAREFUL! And Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 05-13-20, 11:32 PM
esteli

Bikes: fuji newest 2.0; schwinn 'mesa rider"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
one! and two reflectors
Old 05-14-20, 03:42 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I use tons of lights. I still have been almost run over by distracted brain dead zombies. One of my fellow workers said I make a spectacle of myself. I laughed at him and said, "So you noticed me?" He got the point. I recently retired so I use the Fly 6 and the factory red lights that are constant on. The Fly 6 is on a heavy blink cycle. In addition I have a Front Monkey Light on one bike and a rear Monkey Light on the other. A front Fly 12 is on blink and a fixed light as well. I have arrived at that rediculous amount of light after many close calls over the years. That's about 14 years of very seldom using a vehicle to commute, year round in NW Missouri. YMMV Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Likes For Bluesfrog: