Registering your own built bike in Japan

Old 05-30-20, 11:43 PM
stewartt1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Registering your self built bike in Japan

I was wondering if anyone has experience registering a bike they built themselves in Japan. I'm putting together a new road bike from an existing groupset that I own, rims, and a new frame. Of course I have receipts for all component purchases past (groupset and rims) and present (frame).

Are their challenges or things to look out for when registering such a bike, obtained in the somewhat non-normal method (ie. not purchasing a bike fully built from a cycle shop)?

Last edited by stewartt1982; 05-31-20 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 12:24 AM
bjays88

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to know as well
Old 07-10-20, 12:37 AM
stewartt1982

I'm going to find a Japanese language road cycling forum or social media space and ask. Will report what I discover.
Old 07-10-20, 09:31 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Is registration a mandatory thing in Japan? Unusual here in U.S.
Old 07-10-20, 09:55 AM
stewartt1982

Technically registering your bike is mandatory, and all sold in Japan should be registered (for instance when you buy a bike here typically you do a bit of paperwork at the shop and get it registered at the time of sale). You get a little yellow sticker which shows your bike is registered. To my knowledge there is no penalty for not having your bike registered other than the police being able to hassle you ('is this bike yours?' 'it's not registered!' 'where did you buy it?' etc.)

I've never been stopped or hassled but some folks have (I've never been stopped of bothered by the police at all, but I started coming to Japan in my early 30s ... no one really bothers me). Given that registration is about 500 yen (or 5 USD or so) I want to register so as to not ever have any hassle. A minor inconvenience to potentially avoid future inconveniences.

Just because something is not normal in the US does not mean it is not common elsewhere, US norms are just that, norms in the US.
Old 01-02-21, 07:07 AM
jmcullough101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stewartt1982
Technically registering your bike is mandatory, and all sold in Japan should be registered (for instance when you buy a bike here typically you do a bit of paperwork at the shop and get it registered at the time of sale). You get a little yellow sticker which shows your bike is registered. To my knowledge there is no penalty for not having your bike registered other than the police being able to hassle you ('is this bike yours?' 'it's not registered!' 'where did you buy it?' etc.)

I've never been stopped or hassled but some folks have (I've never been stopped of bothered by the police at all, but I started coming to Japan in my early 30s ... no one really bothers me). Given that registration is about 500 yen (or 5 USD or so) I want to register so as to not ever have any hassle. A minor inconvenience to potentially avoid future inconveniences.

Just because something is not normal in the US does not mean it is not common elsewhere, US norms are just that, norms in the US.
That's interesting. What about the bikes bought in Japan but going for immediate exportation (say if it's bought by tourists), will they also need to be registered?
Old 02-09-21, 12:04 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
damn japan i thought you was cool
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 10-27-21, 11:46 PM
loved666

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Stewart, thanks for sharing this information, this is news to most of us.
Old 10-07-22, 11:09 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 201 Posts
I've been cycling since 1975 in Japan.

I'm not sure how many bikes I bought.

And I've never registered one bike, but fortunately, never been hassled by police at all.

Japan's bike registration system is a countermeasure against bike theft.
Yeah, bike registration is mandatory thing, but police don't stop and check every and each bike.

A start of trouble with police is riding bike without light at night.
To turn on the light at night is a traffic rule in Japan.
So police stop the bike without light at night.

And things are getting worse.

To turn on the light at night in Japan.
It's the easiest way to avoid police hassle.
Old 07-16-23, 02:43 AM
jessejoshua
On the road

Bikes: Engine 11 Crit D Road

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stewartt1982

Wow. I just knew of this information.
Did not know that you had to register your bike there. But I think it is great, to minimize the risk of bike being stolen in the public. Since I see every student are using bike as their mode of transportation 😄
Old 10-23-23, 12:44 AM
Gilzuma

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all, A little late to the conversation. While I can't speak to registering a custom bike, I don't believe it would be much different to my experience buying a bike off amazon Japan. These bikes are not preregistered and should be registered with your local city office. However that was easily done for me. I took it to a bike retailer. In this case it was Cainz. This shop is not a bike shop, but more like a home depot or Canadian Tire (depending on where you used to hail from. Any place that will do a basic bicycle tune up will do. You drop it off. They check to make sure everything works. The gears. The brakes. etc. You pay a small fee. Upon request they will register the bicycle and provide the registration tracking sticker for your bicycle. Boom. Bob's your uncle!

It was fairly easy and I'm fairly confident even without Japanese language ability, your bike, your I.D. and google translate will get the bike registered at pretty much any bicycle resale/tune up shop.

Good luck all!
Old 02-08-24, 10:51 PM
grechan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post in this forum😊

I’ve lived here for over 30 years. I’ve never registered my bike and don’t intend to. What’s the point of registration? Maybe for large cities (I live in the countryside) also I think it is to do with those that commute to and from work such as leave them at stations or leave them on the street unattended, maybe they get stolen or get moved and if they are registered the local council or the police may assist in locating it. I only use my bike for touring so it’ll always be with me and never unattended, accept maybe a pit stop at a convenience store for a snack or drink😊
Old 02-09-24, 10:21 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 38 Posts
They used to do the same thing in Florida back in the 70's. They gave you a little red sticker. My dad always registered ours. Not sure how effective it was, but it was peace of mind for us kids. Every now and then I'll see an older bike with one of those stickers.