Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Route suggestions: Eugene, OR to Davis, CA

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 07:00 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I ride from Eugene to Davis pretty much every year, often more than once. Over the past decade, I've pretty much just bombed down the coast. While there's still some roads to explore along that route, this year I would like to stay a bit inland. I'm interested in going through Medford OR (family). Any and all route advice, particularly if it includes some sort of ridewithgps or mapmyride link, would be appreciated as I put together my route. If you have a bright shiny piece, but aren't sure how it fits in, please share it. It might be the highlight of this Spring's journey.

I've got some notions of a few possible routes, but there's nothing like getting ideas from folks who have enjoyed various roads. I'm happy to have lots of elevation changes. I don't require that every road I ride be paved. Given the choice of a gravel road in the hills with no traffic or a flat paved road with traffic, I'll always take the former (sometimes even when I don't know where it goes). I'm also interested in any "Don't ride there" advice.

So far, the only advice I've gotten is from a woman who grew up in the hills outside Grants Pass who told me the best route was to "not ride there". I'm hoping this community can improve on that.
Old 03-24-16, 01:21 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Beautiful route from Cottage Grove - Oakland - Roseburg - Glendale - Grants Pass - Applegate trail -Jacksonville - Medford. We can have coffee and look at maps, most routes are Cycle Oregon tested, I think files are available from them.
Old 03-24-16, 06:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Out to Florence Or Reedsport, down the coast To Navarro river .. 128 to Calistoga,St Helena across the Berryessa dam, Winters ,
then you're in Davis.

I drove it several times .. visited Parents in Napa, I was living in Eugene.

Or McKenzie pass down the back side of the Cascades, Klamath Falls, US 395 Chico MtShasta etc

You're generally following the same route Amtrak takes to Sacramento & south down the valley .

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-24-16 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 09:49 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Out to Florence Or Reedsport, down the coast To Navarro river .. 128 to Calistoga,St Helena across the Berryessa dam, Winters ,
then you're in Davis.

I drove it several times .. visited Parents in Napa, I was living in Eugene.

Or McKenzie pass down the back side of the Cascades, Klamath Falls, US 395 Chico MtShasta etc

You're generally following the same route Amtrak takes to Sacramento & south down the valley .
My usual route is out the Smith river to Reedsport then along the coast (usually including all or most of the Lost Coast) before heading inland at the Russian River. It's only got one little lousy stretch between Sonoma and Napa Counties. I actually look forward to the hwy 128 turn-off from hwy 1 because the traffic lightens up considerably. Hwy 128 is generally not a great road for cycling until one gets to Berryessa. Anyhoo, I'm interested in skipping the coast this time down. It had gotten to the point where I was starting to give names to familiar potholes and pinch points, so it's time to look elsewhere.

Going down the east side is interesting. It's been years since I rode down more-or-less hwy 395. I'm not sure McKenzie pass will be clear to ride when I take off in early May, but I should be able to make hwy 22 less objectionable with a little effort. However, I want to spend a few days in Medford (or Methford, as it is sometimes known to those of us in Ew-Gene).
Old 03-24-16, 09:53 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Beautiful route from Cottage Grove - Oakland - Roseburg - Glendale - Grants Pass - Applegate trail -Jacksonville - Medford. We can have coffee and look at maps, most routes are Cycle Oregon tested, I think files are available from them.
Sounds like a great plan. I'll pick up a new Oregon Gazeteer and some highlighter pens and we can bang out some possibilities. Give me a week or two to do some map exploration independently and then let's do it. What's your favorite coffee shop?
Old 03-25-16, 09:33 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Sounds like a great plan. I'll pick up a new Oregon Gazeteer and some highlighter pens and we can bang out some possibilities. Give me a week or two to do some map exploration independently and then let's do it. What's your favorite coffee shop?
I'll bring the Cycle Oregon maps along, you could even copy them if you'd like. Coffee is everywhere ;-) I do like the Hideaway or downtown at Noisette. Let me know what works for you.
Old 03-25-16, 10:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I haven't been down that way in many years so unfortunately I don't have anything to add. But I'd love to see some photos when you get back, especially if you take an inland route.
Old 03-25-16, 11:46 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I'll bring the Cycle Oregon maps along, you could even copy them if you'd like. Coffee is everywhere ;-) I do like the Hideaway or downtown at Noisette. Let me know what works for you.
I'll PM you this week to set up a date. I'm looking forward to your input.
Old 03-25-16, 11:49 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I haven't been down that way in many years so unfortunately I don't have anything to add. But I'd love to see some photos when you get back, especially if you take an inland route.
After all those beauties you have posted I owe it to at least try. Unfortunately, in addition to a total lack of skill and ability to frame a shot, I'm only going to have a tablet to take pictures with. You may have to imagine the beauty that I fail to capture, but at least there will be a jumping off point.