Old 04-03-16, 06:53 AM
bossco11

Bikes: Trek 3900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Astoria

I'm planning a ride from Astoria to Nehalem Bay SP this summer and was wondering how the ride over the new Warrenton Bridge is. I'd like to take it to Warrenton, do some local riding then head south. I'm planning for the week of the 4th of July, hope its sunny!
Old 04-03-16, 09:10 AM
BridgeRider

Bikes: '86 Bridgestone T500; '78 Raleigh Tour 14; '72 Peugeot tandem; '94 Cannondale R500 (dates are approximate)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "new" bridge over Youngs Bay was built in the early 70s. I live in Warrenton, and have ridden the bridge routinely. I don't like it, but it's never been a problem for me. There is a very narrow bike lane. Tips: use a rear view mirror to check on following traffic, and keep your eyes peeled ahead of you for glass.

But the summer traffic is absolutely nuts (compounded exponentially by the holiday). Take the alternative route (US101B) over the old* 101 bridges across Youngs River and Lewis & Clark River. It's just a mile or two longer, but the traffic is lighter. And when you do cross, and are finished with Warrenton, don't ride 101 to Seaside. Instead, go back along the more interior route via Lewis & Clark Rd past Ft Clatsop. You have to do more climbing, but the rewards are better scenery, and way less traffic (the stretch between Astoria and Seaside is reportedly the busiest stretch on the Oregon coast, and is boring as well). Here's a link to Adventure Cycling's maps, if you want to check. Once you're past Seaside, the scenery all the way to Nehalem is truly spectacular. Have fun!

*There is some construction on the Old Youngs River bridge, but should be no problem for you. Here's a link to Oregon's DOT page; you can zoom in and take a look.
Old 04-03-16, 01:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeRider
...... don't ride 101 to Seaside. Instead, go back along the more interior route via Lewis & Clark Rd past Ft Clatsop. You have to do more climbing, but the rewards are better scenery, and way less traffic (the stretch between Astoria and Seaside is reportedly the busiest stretch on the Oregon coast, and is boring as well).
+1.
Old 04-03-16, 05:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another resident..

using the Roundabout, south on 202, to 5th st , turn right, old Youngs Bay bridge (narrower but short ) ,,

Before the Roundabout the T intersection of 101&202 was a PITA , so old ACA Map headed you over a residential street .

Its better now.

new bridge the Lift section the traffic lanes were made a Bit wider & they moved the Fog line over a Bit (about a Foot)
further from the edge

local 'Einsteins' have yelled at me saying 'use the bike lane' (there is none, that is past the fog line, there so they dont drive off the edge when it's foggy.)

Yea Warrenton loves putting in all the Big box franchise stores You see everywhere else

L&C road takes you past those, comes out just north of Seaside ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-03-16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 11:07 AM
bossco11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! Can't wait to get out there. I figured the traffic would be a bear during the 4th. I'm glad the "old" route is alot better. I had planned on taking in Clatsop anyway, so that route will work great. I already have the maps (AC and ODOT), but just needed some local advice on the bridges...oh, and we have our share of "Einsteins" in Montana too
Thanks again!
Old 04-04-16, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

We can later discuss who has their Pickup Trucks Lift kitted up Higher than in your state. (or around Here)
Old 04-05-16, 07:31 AM
bossco11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
We can later discuss who has their Pickup Trucks Lift kitted up Higher than in your state. (or around Here)
The trend here is lift kitted Diesel pickups that are loud and blow tons of black smoke (usually on bike riders) I've had a few role coal on me when I'm riding...always a treat..
Old 04-05-16, 08:03 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeRider
The "new" bridge over Youngs Bay was built in the early 70s. I live in Warrenton, and have ridden the bridge routinely. I don't like it, but it's never been a problem for me. There is a very narrow bike lane. Tips: use a rear view mirror to check on following traffic, and keep your eyes peeled ahead of you for glass.

But the summer traffic is absolutely nuts (compounded exponentially by the holiday). Take the alternative route (US101B) over the old* 101 bridges across Youngs River and Lewis & Clark River. It's just a mile or two longer, but the traffic is lighter. And when you do cross, and are finished with Warrenton, don't ride 101 to Seaside. Instead, go back along the more interior route via Lewis & Clark Rd past Ft Clatsop. You have to do more climbing, but the rewards are better scenery, and way less traffic (the stretch between Astoria and Seaside is reportedly the busiest stretch on the Oregon coast, and is boring as well). Here's a link to Adventure Cycling's maps, if you want to check. Once you're past Seaside, the scenery all the way to Nehalem is truly spectacular. Have fun!

*There is some construction on the Old Youngs River bridge, but should be no problem for you. Here's a link to Oregon's DOT page; you can zoom in and take a look.

^^^^
This. 101 sucks As to Sea & points south summer months. I'd suggest dawn to noon riding then chill.
Old 04-05-16, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

But you will have company .. LBS in Astoria got in another case lot carton of coast route ODOT maps for the year.

usually give out hundreds .. Mostly thru summer.
Old 04-05-16, 11:50 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
^^^^
This. 101 sucks As to Sea & points south summer months. I'd suggest dawn to noon riding then chill.
If you start from Astoria any morning at 7:00 am, you'll have the road to yourself with very light car traffic. It's also the best time to ride for coastal winds, which pick up around 9:30 or 10:00 am. Start early and you can ride any road, any bridge that you want, even the Columbia River Bridge, without the traffic hassles.
Old 04-05-16, 02:14 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
If you start from Astoria any morning at 7:00 am, you'll have the road to yourself with very light car traffic. It's also the best time to ride for coastal winds, which pick up around 9:30 or 10:00 am. Start early and you can ride any road, any bridge that you want, even the Columbia River Bridge, without the traffic hassles.
👍🏻 Yes, many times I've left Seaview at oh dark thirty to hump that stretch from Ilwaco to the bridge and in particular, jam through the Fort Columbia tunnel 😱. Then continue on the "Naselle Loop" (47ish miles) to avoid traffic. Salmon season screws things up though. Wind? What's a little wind? Beach riding has given me a new appreciation for the Pacific High. For me it's turning around after hours of grinding and sailing home!
Old 04-05-16, 02:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Log Trucks start pretty early as they are paid by the load, they try to get the 1st run started at sunup or earlier
Old 04-05-16, 04:46 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The log trucks are leaving Falls City (fresh off the mountain) when I ride out at 5:00 in the morning. I hate getting passed by them but luckily I only ride that road about 1/4 mile before turning off on a gravel road to Dallas. When it's wet the road spray is muddy, and when it's dry they're dusty.
Old 04-05-16, 05:14 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Log Trucks start pretty early as they are paid by the load, they try to get the 1st run started at sunup or earlier
Yes, log trucks, we have lots of them too. The one thing that will slow a truck down for hours is running over a cyclist, no production that day. Also the transportation companies hammer drivers so they do doing NOTHING that will affect insurance rates for the company. My experience......log trucks may give you a bit of a brush, but they do not want to hit you. Not cool with the boss, not good for the pay check and legal stuff is way too messy. My experience with log trucks has been really positive, we try to stay out of each other's way.
Old 04-08-16, 07:57 AM
bossco11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Logging trucks will be a new one for me. I don't see them where I live. I can't check into the SP until later in the afternoon, so I will probably leave a little later in the morning and just dink around the coastal towns in the mornings.
Old 04-08-16, 08:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Once you are on US 101 the paved shoulder is pretty wide ..

Do be aware of wind shear , the bow wake of higher air pressure coming off front of trucks and motorhomes

have caused less steady riders to lose control & be Blown over .

one elderly man , on a father and (adult) son trip , several years ago,
was knocked down and fell towards the traffic lane & the trailer wheels .. not a Pretty thought..

But that was one in a thousand, literally.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-08-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-17-16, 06:03 PM
bossco11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, made the ride to NSP. We did a day ride on the 4th to Ft. Stevens. Took the "new" bridge and it was as you advertised. Lots of traffic, some were human and gave us some room, others cut it as close as they could. The shoulder on the bridge did have some gravel and junk, but I would recommend it...and have a mirror!
The ride to NSP was awesome, the hills from Seaside to Manzanita were a challenge...but, damn, it was fun.
Thanks again for all the advice on this trip. I love the Oregon coast!
Old 07-17-16, 06:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up.
Yeah, those Oregon coast 'hills' are a major challenge; esp in summer with traffic.
Congrats.
Old 07-19-16, 08:11 AM
bossco11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was kinda funny, as us two old geezers were resting on one of the hills, we were passed by a kid in full blown tour mode...he stopped to chat, and was on his way to SAN FRANCISCO....that was pretty cool!