Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel tires for a sharply gravel road

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 08:36 PM
Cyclist0103
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I would appreciate for your replying in future so thank you for the response in future. Now, I have had been doing a lot of research to determine which tires is the best to use on road bike so you can ride on sharply gravel road even if it would be daily riding or training or long distance, BUT i couldn't determined which one is the best. So if you know or experienced these tires as you have rode them before, you can share it with us in here. You can included if the best tires turned to be disappointed because of puncture protection is not excellent OR keep getting flats. you can share it as well. I am looking for a best tires that could be ranged from $20.00 to $50.00 per tires and can outlast any tires that do get flats on sharply gravel. Sharply gravel roads has some small rocks and sharply rocks and there are also some smooth road (no rocks).

if this is not very good brief, then i apologized because i am not sure how to say it in briefly way. i will looking forward to hear your experiences with these tires which is best for sharply gravel road. Please provide a specific name of these tires you are going to share.

tires can be either 700C or 26"
Old 02-01-16, 04:36 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I have never heard the term "sharply gravel road" before.
Old 02-01-16, 07:23 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparda
Hello,

I would appreciate for your replying in future so thank you for the response in future. Now, I have had been doing a lot of research to determine which tires is the best to use on road bike so you can ride on sharply gravel road even if it would be daily riding or training or long distance, BUT i couldn't determined which one is the best. So if you know or experienced these tires as you have rode them before, you can share it with us in here. You can included if the best tires turned to be disappointed because of puncture protection is not excellent OR keep getting flats. you can share it as well. I am looking for a best tires that could be ranged from $20.00 to $50.00 per tires and can outlast any tires that do get flats on sharply gravel. Sharply gravel roads has some small rocks and sharply rocks and there are also some smooth road (no rocks).

if this is not very good brief, then i apologized because i am not sure how to say it in briefly way. i will looking forward to hear your experiences with these tires which is best for sharply gravel road. Please provide a specific name of these tires you are going to share.

tires can be either 700C or 26"
Where are you located?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-03-16, 03:19 AM
Cyclist0103
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Where are you located?
a bit northern of Calgary, Alberta. there is lot of hills and gravels roads.. its around 10 minutes away from Calgary.
Old 02-03-16, 03:24 AM
Cyclist0103
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I have never heard the term "sharply gravel road" before.
sorry. i have read that "words" used by other guys in other website forum where i was doing a lot of research on which gravel tires is the best option. so i will try describe the road.. the road has 100% of gravel on it.. and it has lot of rocks.. the size of rocks are more or less similar to the size of almonds. but there are some roads that has smooth with just gravels and no rocks.. so thats what i thought "sharply gravel road" mean by that.
Old 02-03-16, 05:52 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
When a gravel road is dry and the gravel is packed down, just about any tire is fine. My bike came with relatively inexpensive kenda kwicks (700x30) that were just fine on that. However, if there is a lot of loose gravel, you'll probably want a wider tire that you can run at a lower pressure, perhaps with a more aggressive tread. Two popular options here are the 700x35 Clement USH and 700x40 Clement MSO...I currently use the 40 in front and the 35 in back (widest my bike can handle!). The surly knaard 700x41 and wtb nano 700x40 have a more aggressive tread and might be worth looking into as well, depending on road conditions. Obviously your bike frame matters greatly here...most 700c road bikes won't fit tires that wide, but many cyclocross or gravel bikes will.

If the gravel is sharp and you're concerned about punctures, there are tires with extra protective layers built in. Schwalbe's Marathon line of tires seems to be trusted. You can also look at adding tire liners...I used Mr tuffy tire liners with my kenda kwicks for a few hundred gravel miles and had no flats.
Old 02-04-16, 12:09 AM
Cyclist0103
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
When a gravel road is dry and the gravel is packed down, just about any tire is fine. My bike came with relatively inexpensive kenda kwicks (700x30) that were just fine on that. However, if there is a lot of loose gravel, you'll probably want a wider tire that you can run at a lower pressure, perhaps with a more aggressive tread. Two popular options here are the 700x35 Clement USH and 700x40 Clement MSO...I currently use the 40 in front and the 35 in back (widest my bike can handle!). The surly knaard 700x41 and wtb nano 700x40 have a more aggressive tread and might be worth looking into as well, depending on road conditions. Obviously your bike frame matters greatly here...most 700c road bikes won't fit tires that wide, but many cyclocross or gravel bikes will.

If the gravel is sharp and you're concerned about punctures, there are tires with extra protective layers built in. Schwalbe's Marathon line of tires seems to be trusted. You can also look at adding tire liners...I used Mr tuffy tire liners with my kenda kwicks for a few hundred gravel miles and had no flats.
oh wow. i have no idea the existence of Mr tufy tire liner! look very interesting.. and i better show you guys a picture of the gravel with my iphone. that should help you understand what i am dealing with. give me a moment, it may take me few days to get a picture of the road because of snow. I hoped you guys are patiently!

yes, i can see that there are some tires with extra protection which are more expensively than normal tires or other tires. and i must say that my road bike has a limit of size for 700C is up to 28.

the gravel road i am dealing.. well i will show you a list:

April to May: a lot of raining so it will be wet gravel road but its more packed because of heavy machine that make it that way. I have seen them doing that every spring.

June to September: its very dry and packed than before after the heavy machine did their jobs. and some more gravel was added to the road to keep it flat and smooth. Depends on these months, there are some raining and its not so very wet.

September to November: its very dry all the way of these months, but there was raining 3 to 4 times in 3 months.

well its all condition tires that can handle any condition of the gravel road depending the weather (hot day, rainy day, a bit rainy day so on and on) that i am trying to find out which best tires would be that tires. and oh yes. my Road bike is currently using Kenda Kwest K193 700x25

Ok i have added a picture of the gravel road.. so take a look below. let me know if my description of gravel road is wrong or correct.

IMG_0253.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Cyclist0103; 02-05-16 at 12:10 PM. Reason: picture of road & info
Old 02-09-16, 03:05 AM
Cyclist0103
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no suggestion or any discussion... I guess i would say this:

B-U-M-P
Old 02-10-16, 04:14 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe look at the Panaracer 700x32 Gravelking?
Old 02-19-16, 06:07 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Schwalbe Almotion are what I ride on my wide tyre wheelset, they can take plenty of abuse, the sidewalls are tough. A little out of your price range and worth it.