Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Harvest Century in September

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 03:10 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Harvest Century in September

Hi, all.

I'm moving to Oregon in August or September, and I'll also be riding in the Harvest Century for the first time when I get there. It will be my first century, so I don't have a lot of context. The route has a total elevation gain of 3588 feet, and the max inclines seem to be just over 5%, and not for very long at all. That seems pretty forgiving for a first century, right? Or did I sign up for more than I thought?

Thanks!

Cormac
Old 03-03-16, 10:24 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That's about as good as a first century route gets. The elevation gains are small enough to not grind you down but there's enough opportunities to get out of the saddle to keep from getting numb.

IIRC, my first formal century, back forty years ago, had a similar profile. However, my second one was a climbing square (100 miles, 10,000 feet of climbing). I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun if I had done them in the other order.
Old 03-07-16, 04:05 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
First
Welcome to Oregon as soon as you get up here.
That looks like A nice century to ride.I never rode in A century either.I will try to make Harvest Century also this year,as it is not to far from me.
I also plan to ride in Cookie Monster metric century in April,wow that is just next month.Also the covered Bridge bicyle tour in August(Albany) and the Strawberry Century in Lebanon.

Also I would suggest moving up sooner.
Besides the weather being warmer and nicer.So many activities going on all of kinds.I think it is very best time to visit or be in the PNW.
Not raining now,but as soon as I get on my bike it will start.

[TABLE="width: 960"]
[TR]
[TD="class: eventstextcondensed"]Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I believe that is the Hoffman bridge right out of Crabtree.I just rode that road last week.
It is A age thing.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-07-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-07-16, 04:10 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

After fifteen years in Southern California (I know. I knw -- but I hear the Northern CA folks are hated even more up in OR, so at least I have that), I'm actually looking forward to rain, especially since it gives me a reason to build another bike with fenders, fat tires, and discs!

Originally Posted by Joeyseven
First
Welcome to Oregon.
That looks like A nice century to ride.I never rode in A century either.I will try to make Harvest Century also this year,as it is not to far from me.
I also plan to ride in Cookie Monster metric century in April,wow that is just next month.Also the covered Bridge bicyle tour in August(Albany) and the Strawberry Century in Lebanon.

Also I would suggest moving up sooner.
Besides the weather being warmer and nicer.So many activities going on all of kinds.I think it is very best time to visit or be in the PNW.
Not raining now,but as soon as I get on my bike it will start.

[TABLE="width: 960"]
[TR]
[TD="class: eventstextcondensed"]Covered Bridge Bicycle Tour[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

onster Cookie Metric Century
Old 03-07-16, 11:56 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Northern CA folks are hated even more.lol

I think the whole Californian thing is over blown and just something to include in some conversation.but not really a big deal in most places.
Things and places change.Yeah some towns and people really dislike change.I heard Bend has really changed alot,but I never bend their.

I enjoy the rain too,but it the lack of sunshine that gets to me.But I usually have enough saved up I can vacation down south for awhile and
soak up some vitamin d.

But I posted in another thread the last two winters have seen more rain but warmer temperatures around the Willamette valley.

But road riding around where I live is very good and most drivers are very courtesy to bikes. Last time I rode in Portland was over 10 years ago.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-08-16 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-08-16, 12:44 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I've done the Harvest Century several times, it's a fun ride with a good turn out of riders. The century route has the majority of the hills, and it's a beautiful section of the ride. There is a 62 mile option that may be better for you if your training falls a bit short due to the move. The shorter route is very nice too and you'll see a part of the Portland metro area that will surprise and please you with the rural beauty. The fall weather can be a factor, it will be spectacular or rainy. Consider the 62 mile option this year, then come back the following year to do the full century. Welcome to Oregon, we're all from somewhere else ;-)
Old 03-08-16, 01:24 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
After fifteen years in Southern California (I know. I knw -- but I hear the Northern CA folks are hated even more up in OR, so at least I have that), I'm actually looking forward to rain, especially since it gives me a reason to build another bike with fenders, fat tires, and discs!
Make it a cyclocross bike, and don't be in a hurry to put fenders on it. September is the start of cyclocross season, which IMO makes the arrival of the rain all the sweeter. You should definitely try it (and I say this knowing nothing about your age or fitness level because that doesn't matter).

My wife moved here from San Francisco in about 1978. I tell her that I'm more accepted by the "locals" than her even though I didn't move here until 1995 because I came from Maryland and not California. But really, the California thing is almost entirely a joke. Almost.
Old 03-08-16, 01:56 PM
cormacf

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Make it a cyclocross bike, and don't be in a hurry to put fenders on it. September is the start of cyclocross season, which IMO makes the arrival of the rain all the sweeter. You should definitely try it (and I say this knowing nothing about your age or fitness level because that doesn't matter).

My wife moved here from San Francisco in about 1978. I tell her that I'm more accepted by the "locals" than her even though I didn't move here until 1995 because I came from Maryland and not California. But really, the California thing is almost entirely a joke. Almost.
Thanks (and thank you, Shifty!)! CX in Southern CA is kind of like hockey in Southern CA: it exists, and people do it, but you have to look hard to find people who are really dedicated to it. I imagine when you live in a place that actually has muddy trails without pumping in water, there's a much bigger scene.