Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Jones Plus LWB for gravel/adventure

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 02:56 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I hope to do more exploring and "adventure" riding/light bickpacking in 2020. I live in a really interesting part of the world where it's easy to get lost for a few days in the woods without going too far from home.

I ordered one of these for my all purpose mtn/road/commute/touring bike - hope it lives up to the hype!

It's the longer version of the diamond frame with a 11-50 cassette, 29x3.0 knobbies and the famous Jones batwing handlebar
Likes For davei1980:
Old 01-10-20, 08:27 AM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
I hope to do more exploring and "adventure" riding/light bickpacking in 2020. I live in a really interesting part of the world where it's easy to get lost for a few days in the woods without going too far from home.

I ordered one of these for my all purpose mtn/road/commute/touring bike - hope it lives up to the hype!

It's the longer version of the diamond frame with a 11-50 cassette, 29x3.0 knobbies and the famous Jones batwing handlebar
You will love it I'm sure. It's such a comfortable bike and it'll put miles of smiles on your face! Be sure to give us an update after your first couple rides.
Old 01-10-20, 09:24 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by mdcoram
You will love it I'm sure. It's such a comfortable bike and it'll put miles of smiles on your face! Be sure to give us an update after your first couple rides.
THANKS!

It seems like EVERY manufacturer offers a line of rigid, drop bar-specific "gravel bikes" with relatively narrow tires which they claim to be great at everything OR they offer motocross style MTBs with suspension which adds unneeded complexity, maintenance, and weight. Not to mention it's inefficient.

I rode the Plus LWB when I was in Southern Oregon last. I kicked around the idea of converting a drop bar, wider tire gravel bike (Kona has one that will fit 650x2.35 tires) and putting H bars on it, or doing a custom build from scratch on something like the Crust Scapegoat, but it became difficult to beat the value of the LWB complete I purchased.

Do you have one? If so, any tips or tricks helpful in final assembly?

I just was notified it arrived in my city - should be out for delivery today!

Last edited by davei1980; 01-10-20 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-10-20, 10:24 AM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I borrowed one for a weekend a couple months ago. The more I rode it the more I liked it. It's so stable and at the same time.. flickable. Truly a great design and a joy to ride on almost any terrain. I can't afford the whole bike yet but I love my Jones bars!
Old 01-10-20, 12:22 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by mdcoram
I borrowed one for a weekend a couple months ago. The more I rode it the more I liked it. It's so stable and at the same time.. flickable. Truly a great design and a joy to ride on almost any terrain. I can't afford the whole bike yet but I love my Jones bars!
I hear you 100% - we are a single income family with 4 kids so big purchases always require tons of planning so no shame in not being able to afford one right away! This has been in the works for almost a year of saving and planning and weighing alternatives. In this sense, I think being on a budget forces you to make better buying decisions rather than spending on the latest tech willy nilly.

That said, after carefully considering the alternatives I mentioned (the closest competitor being the Crust Scapegoat frameset + custom build) the Plus LWB/SWB completes are both a seriously good value. Think of it this way, you can get a LEGIT, capable SWB for $1799. That will only pay for a pretty mediocre gravel bike from a major manufacturer.

I have met Jeff Jones and he doesn't appear to be motivated by money, but his custom builds are backordered and his completes are selling well so I expect Jones bikes to be around down the road if you're in a position to get one!
Old 01-25-20, 07:47 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 74 Posts
I have several bikes, but whenever I ride my Jones, I always wonder why I need so many. It's a super capable mountain bike, but also surprisingly sprightly around town:

Though I would probably still keep one of my folding bikes if I had to downsize. It's nice to have something with fenders and a kickstand, which I don't really want on my Jones.