Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

friendly road cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

friendly road cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-13, 12:57 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thedon
I'm 25 and have stopped on two occasions this year to help distressed riders, but have also asked others if all was ok if they were stopped.

The first time was an older couple riding a tandem who were on a 60-mile ride in an unfamiliar area. They broke their chain and didn't have a smartphone to find the nearest bike shop. I looked it up while chatting for a few minutes and sent them on by heir way to a shop 2 miles away.

More recently I was riding on the path in Chicago (where I live) and a competent-looking roadie was repairing his tire. Turned out he was in town from Chattanooga, TN for a work conference and brought his bike, which is impressive. He flatted on a tiny piece of gravel, but only had one co2 tube and no frame pump, so I stuck around to make sure he got on his way. I offered my tiny frame pump to at least get the new tube installed properly to avoid a pinch flat with the co2. Then after the co2 I offered my topeak digital PSI gauge, which showed he was at 136. We reduced it down to the rating of 110 and he was on his way.

Maybe this will slightly alter your opinion of young people.
I never said "all" I said "most".
Good on you for lending a hand, set a good role model for the next generation.
Old 11-17-13, 02:23 AM
macjager

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
The guy wasn't a real cyclist. If he was he would've smacked you with his frame bump, yelled at you then dialed it up to 400w and been gone before you even hit the ground.
and probably well deserved!...
Old 11-17-13, 02:53 AM
ConGrUenCy

Bikes: C'dale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just today, I saw a lady on the side of the road wrestling with her chain on a single speed. I asked if I could help, and just as I was leaning my bike against the curb before I went to help, she managed to get the chain back on (good thing too, don't want greasy hands ruining my bar tape).
Old 11-17-13, 03:11 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is why I always have a pair of nitirile gloves in my saddle bag. Great for grease, or even the odd injury where blood is present/exposed wounds.
Old 11-17-13, 06:30 AM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
The guy wasn't a real cyclist. If he was he would've smacked you with his frame bump, yelled at you then dialed it up to 400w and been gone before you even hit the ground.
Just don't forget to give the guy in distress "the look" before you drope the hamer.
Old 11-17-13, 07:13 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadMike
Just don't forget to give the guy in distress "the look" before you drope the hamer.
I didn't want to overload some of our newbies with 41 nostalgia.
Old 11-17-13, 07:38 AM
totalnewbie

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 2 AXS, Tern Verge D9

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Paying it forward. Its good to know if you give someone a tube or have a flat near the beginning of a ride, that you still have a spare tube if another flat occurs. Giving away your one and only tube near the beginning of your ride wouldn't be a wise move. A quick "are you ok?" is nice to hear.
an interesting coincidence happened to me. got a flat and with no spare, a truck driver offered to give me a ride back home. Tried to pay him some money for his trouble but he refused. Two days later, ran across a cyclist who got a flat as well. In the spirit of "paying it forward" I gave him my only spare tube. Maybe I was stupid but I felt I HAD to do that.
Old 11-17-13, 08:02 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I came across this rider when I was on a 100 mile ride.

He was on his 2nd flat no more CO 2 or tubes.

He had called his wife, but wanted to fiinish the ride.

I checked his tire inside and out, found nothing.
Loaned him a tube and a pump. He put the wheel back on the bike.

His wife arrived, he told her he would ride back home.

Followed him and in five miles he had a third flat.

Loaned him my spare tire and another tube.

He made it home and used the spare tire on a 100 mile ride the next day.
So did you ever figure out what was causing all those flats?
Old 11-17-13, 08:19 AM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Around here, it isn't an age thing. I have never changed a flat on the road without someone offering help. They have all been younger than I am but I think everybody is younger than I am. I carry two tubes, patch kit, 3 CO2 and a pump. Yes, I have needed all of those on one ride. The most fun is asking the kids who ride the local MUP if they need help. I recently showed two guys how to change a tube and gave them a shopping list of what they should take on a ride. They gave me a warning about a lot of glass up ahead that meant I didn't have to change my own flat.
Old 11-17-13, 08:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
So did you ever figure out what was causing all those flats?
He was flating on this tire.

Guessing a hidden piece of radial tire wire.

I did ask him to get back with me but he disappeared with my spare tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tirewire.jpg (94.4 KB, 44 views)

Old 11-17-13, 08:44 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
He was flating on this tire.

Guessing a hidden piece of radial tire wire.

I did ask him to get back with me but he disappeared with my spare tire.
Yeah that's why I asked. I mean three flats that quickly means something is wrong. Heck two in a row means something is wrong. I'm looking at getting those tires so reading this was a little disconcerting. I'm sure it was a fluke thing though.
Nice of him to steal your tire :/
Old 11-17-13, 08:50 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by shoota
Yeah that's why I asked. I mean three flats that quickly means something is wrong. Heck two in a row means something is wrong. I'm looking at getting those tires so reading this was a little disconcerting. I'm sure it was a fluke thing though.
Nice of him to steal your tire :/
He had actually had one flat the day before i saw him.

I didn't have to help him, but feel he is now a snob.

Met another rider in the same exact spot the next day....he needed my pump as his CO 2 was used up.

Attached Images
RRR 100 017.jpg (101.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-17-13 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-17-13, 09:04 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I also ask any stranded cyclists I see if they need a hand.

Funny, from the title "Friendly Road Cyclists" I thought this was going to be another "waving" thread.
Me too.
Old 11-17-13, 09:13 AM
daven

Bikes: Scattante Team (race) , Sette Forza (training), Klein Race Comp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always ask riders on the side of the road if they need help or tools. It is the right thing to do. If you believe in Karma, then you can justify it as building up credit for when you need it later.

No matter the outcome, I always feel better and faster after helping someone out. That is its own reward.

Now I can be stripped of my '41' credentials.....
Old 11-17-13, 09:15 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I tend to ride with a saddlebag loaded to the gills, so if I see a broken down cyclist I stop and offer assistance.. as my home is directly on a major cycling route here I often ride upon broken down cyclists, and since my workshop is within hundreds of yards usually I always offer assistance to them.. I have considered rethinking this kindness though, I've had a couple of flats in the last few weeks nearish to home and I've seen riders I've stopped to help and friends of theirs (Yes I recognized the individuals in question) just blow right on by me without even asking if everything was alright.. bike flipped upside down on the side of the road, fumbling through a tool kit etc.. I know I don't help others for karmas sake, but it still royally ticks me off that people who except help don't offer to give it in return.. sorry about the threadjack rant.
Old 11-17-13, 09:21 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool. It doesn't hurt to be decent with others. It's not much time out of your life to extend yourself sometimes just for a few minutes to help somebody, or at least offer.
Old 11-17-13, 09:31 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I saw a guy who had stopped to fix a flat. I took my bidon full of Fruit Punch Gatorade and hosed him down. Then I rode off.

Outwardly he seemed upset, but deep down I think he thought it was pretty funny.

Old 11-17-13, 09:32 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedon
I'm 25 and have stopped on two occasions this year to help distressed riders, but have also asked others if all was ok if they were stopped.

The first time was an older couple riding a tandem who were on a 60-mile ride in an unfamiliar area. They broke their chain and didn't have a smartphone to find the nearest bike shop. I looked it up while chatting for a few minutes and sent them on by heir way to a shop 2 miles away.

More recently I was riding on the path in Chicago (where I live) and a competent-looking roadie was repairing his tire. Turned out he was in town from Chattanooga, TN for a work conference and brought his bike, which is impressive. He flatted on a tiny piece of gravel, but only had one co2 tube and no frame pump, so I stuck around to make sure he got on his way. I offered my tiny frame pump to at least get the new tube installed properly to avoid a pinch flat with the co2. Then after the co2 I offered my topeak digital PSI gauge, which showed he was at 136. We reduced it down to the rating of 110 and he was on his way.

Maybe this will slightly alter your opinion of young people.
Old people have been griping about "kids today" since the cave men. Don't sweat it.
Old 11-17-13, 10:06 AM
macjager

Bikes: Domane 4.3 and Trek Crockett 5 disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guess who got another flat today...kinda out in the middle of no where, so a call home to the support team...ie the wife...a few minutes later a bicyclist stopped by and asked if all was well. Turns out he lived in the house that I stopped in front of....(i have now loaded up my saddle bag with the essentials, better late than never I guess....
Old 11-17-13, 10:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22641 Post(s)
Liked 8,953 Times in 4,173 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Old people have been griping about "kids today" since the cave men. Don't sweat it.
Correct.

I remember when I was traveling and about 23 years old...some geezer was complaining about kids "today." He went on and on about how my college degree was the equivalent of his high school diploma. I chose not to argue, even though he was totally wrong.

It must be part of getting old.

Last edited by datlas; 11-17-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-17-13, 10:45 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
i was on a century ride and my tire shredded. no real cause that I could see a conti gatorskin. I called my wife to pick me up and a guy stopped by and asked if I needed help. I said no the only thing that could save me is a new tire. He took off his backpack and gave me tire. I said I could not pay for it as I had no money he said no worries just continue the ride. I called the wife said I was fine and rode on.

it was so cool.
Old 11-17-13, 10:55 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Gallo
i was on a century ride and my tire shredded. no real cause that I could see a conti gatorskin. I called my wife to pick me up and a guy stopped by and asked if I needed help. I said no the only thing that could save me is a new tire. He took off his backpack and gave me tire. I said I could not pay for it as I had no money he said no worries just continue the ride. I called the wife said I was fine and rode on.

it was so cool.
Carry a spare tire:
Attached Images
Easy Spare.jpg (44.9 KB, 41 views)
Spare tire 002.jpg (85.7 KB, 40 views)
spare tire.jpg (99.8 KB, 39 views)

Old 11-17-13, 11:15 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
A good idea I am sure but this was the only time I have never carried one save when touring. Those are great example of how to carry them, thanks. I have rarely needed a tire on the road and normally carry a tube patch kit and tools in and it has served me well in the past
Old 11-17-13, 11:49 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never have the expectation of being thanked or rewarded for helping someone, whether a cyclist, motorcyclist, etc. It's a karma thing. I feel good about helping. But then I've been a nurse since 91 so it's kind of in my blood.

BUT, if you help without the expectation of thanks or reward it just feels better if you do get a thanks. I always tell someone, to pay it forward, if I help them, maybe they can help someone else in the future. Just IMHO
Old 11-17-13, 12:01 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by macjager
A fellow bicyclists stopped by, asked if all was ok, then handed me a spare inner, I thanked him and asked how much
Reminds me of when I was riding in southern New Jersey. Came across a girl (hot) with a flat. No pump, no spare and no clue how to fix it. I gave her my spare tube and fixed it for her. All she said was "okay I'm good now" and rode off. Not even a thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.