Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

The nicer one's gotta wait a couple months. :( What fork on a budget(new or used)?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

The nicer one's gotta wait a couple months. :( What fork on a budget(new or used)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 07:37 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I was planning to buy a frame, fork, and disk brakes to build a much nicer bike using the rest of the parts from my current bike. A financial thing came up and that's gonna have to wait a couple months while I re-save.

What fork would you recommend I look for for ~$100, new or used? I'm only ~150lbs and don't plan on doing anything bigger than ~4' drop-offs with pretty smooth landings built into the hill. It would be a Big plus if it could take the XTR V-brakes that I'm currently using.
Old 05-23-11, 08:05 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of frame is it going on and how much travel do you want? I'm assuming with that budget you're looking at coil?
Old 05-23-11, 08:36 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
It's going on a mid-90s frame. The bike originally had a suspension or rigid fork version. I've got the rigid, but I'm pretty sure the frames were the same geometry-wise. I've been using a Manitou suspension fork from ~2000 that's an 80mm fork. The actual travel seems to measure ~75mm. Handling is perfectly fine with that fork. It's completely worn out, though, and the inners of the fork have a pretty good wiggle within the outers. Ideally I'd like to stick with an 80mm fork, but 100mm would probably be alright too, I think.