Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help! Buying Advice

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help! Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 09:06 PM
IrishYorf07

Bikes: '18 Trek DS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
Sounds to me like you should go with Trek. Having a good experience at the shop would be high in priority for me. If Trek puts you at ease and shows interest in your needs, then they seem like the winner. Sure the other options might be cheaper, but paying a bit more for better customer service is worth it.

FWIW I have a DS3. My first real adult bike outside of a cheap Walmart Schwinn hybrid. I really like the bike a lot. It is indeed an entry level bike in general. I wasn't sure where I'd predominantly be riding. There's good offroad single tracks as well as paved trails around here that I wanted to explore. I tested the Verve and FX models before I made the purchase. Verve was very comfy, yet slow. FX was fast and light, but a bit too forward for me at the time. I wanted a middle ground to be able to handle longer distances on various terrain. My experience at the Trek dealer was similar. They weren't pushy. Listened to my wants and needs. Were very patient as well as informative. I didn't attempt another dealer or brand, as they exceeded my expectations for customer service.

Nine months later and I'm still happy with my DS 3 for what it is. However, I do see myself eventually getting a FX3 disc. I'd keep the DS for comfort and light offroading, as well as the gravel trails, and use the FX for nicer paved trails and some road use. I'm not a all regretting the DS. It will continue to serve a purpose. If anything, if I could do it all over again (and could afford it) I would have gotten something like a Marlin 7 AND an FX 3 at the same time to cover all bases well. The DS3 does suit all those needs, just doesn't exceed as well as dedicated bikes would for specific terrains. Jack of all trades, master of none type deal. Which is acceptable for a beginner/recreational cyclist as myself.
Sounds like you were in the exact same position as me. I decided today for multiple reasons that I'm going to go with Trek. I will take a spin on an FX2 Disc to see how much more you feel without the carbon fork then decide between that and the DS2.
Old 04-20-18, 03:52 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm only catching up to this thread. In your case, I would also go with Trek simply because of the better experience at the bike store. I'm primarily a Trek fan, but went with the Giant Roam, because I liked the bike store that sold me the Roam a lot better.
Old 04-22-18, 06:27 AM
JA TREK

Bikes: 2018 Scott Aspect 950, 2018 Trek Hybrid, 1971 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, my boyfriend and I are in a similar situation! I just recently purchased a 2018 Trek FX2 hybrid (women's). It's my first "real" bike. I know it's a fitness/commuting entry level bike, but let me tell ya I'm in love with it! I figured I could upgrade next year to a true road bike if I want to go that route. Anyhow, my boyfriend currently has an Iron horse Sinister 6.3 mountain bike. Yesterday we went on a 10 mile ride, and he just couldn't keep up at all. He was exhausted and cranky on the way back home. I know his bike is alot heavier then mine. I have an aluminum frame, but I'd like to try some carbon frames for my next purchase.

I also wanted to note that I had a wonderful experience buying from my local Trek dealer. They were so friendly, informative, and professional. I took my boyfriend there the other day, because I'm trying to talk him into purchasing a hybrid that's similar to mine. My longterm goal is to eventually have a bike for every purpose (road, fitness, trails, and winter riding). I vote Trek OP!