Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New project

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New project

Old 01-27-18, 02:28 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
New project

I know most hybrid owners aren't into dump "rescues" and projects like the C & V folks but I thought I'd share this in case some are, I know I like seeing other people's projects regardless of what bike "genre" it is. Picked up this Scott Sportster P5 a few weeks ago cheap with the intent of flipping it but after getting it home and going over it I have decided to rehab it for myself and sell one of my other bikes, or two.

I believe it's a 2007 and it appears to have been ridden very little, it's grimy and has some rust on the steel hardware and fork legs but is in otherwise very good condition. The Crank Bros. Eggbeaters were a bonus, a little white vinegar and aluminum foil and they'll be like new. It appears it has been quite a few years since it's had any love but everything still works, I think it got ridden a season or two then stuck in the lawn shed out back for a decade or so until it was sold at a yard sale. My M-I-L's neighbor picks up bikes, mowers, etc. at yard and garage sales then flips them "as is" but she rarely has anything like this, it's usually well trashed box store stuff.

It will get some upgrades like full Deore XT drivetrain and brakes, different wheels and a little nicer fork. Bought the fork and wheels for another build then decided to go another direction on it, same for most of the XT stuff so there will be very little additional expenditure and I have a good home for all the takeoffs.

Old 01-27-18, 02:40 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to see what all you do to her.
Old 01-27-18, 04:37 PM
Nigelw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the progression.
I'm just about to start my similar project.
Old 01-28-18, 08:42 AM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I know most hybrid owners aren't into dump "rescues" and projects like the C & V folks but I thought I'd share this in case some are, I know I like seeing other people's projects regardless of what bike "genre" it is.
Many of us are. There are many fixing up old second hand hybrids. I'm restoring/upgrade my one owner 720 MT.

Last edited by pjthomas; 01-28-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 10:23 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by pjthomas
There are many fixing up old second hand hybrids. I'm restoring/upgrade my one owner 720 MT.
Glad to hear that, I don't know if Hybrids will become C & V but some of them are nearing that age. Here's a before and after of a 730 I did a few years ago. Picked it up at a garage sale for $30, had some severe paint damage on the left side from a bike carrier so I covered that up with green 3M reflective tape.

Before:

After, changed bars later to sell it. Not everyone is a fan of trekking bars. It went to a good home, a young woman who was starting to ride with her husband and wanted something better than her WalMart Huffy that she could also use to run errands on, she fell in love with it.

Old 01-28-18, 01:41 PM
Murray Missile 

Another old build, purchased as a frame and fork, the Scott is replacing it and one or two others.

As found:

When I first finished it, it became my all arounder and accumulated a rack, lights, etc. later on.

It was followed by this, I bought the frame off NASHBAR, it will go too and I may already have a buyer for it. The crankset has since been replaced with a Shimano and the squeaky pogo stick fork with a "better" Suntour XCM. Very nice riding bike but appearance wise I just can't stand the frame, love the pearl white paint though. Too bad it doesn't show in the pics.

......and yet another hybrid project concurrent with the Scott, this one is being built with a lot of 29er MTB components (Deore XT 9 speed) for use on the hundreds of miles of hilly gravel roads in my neck of the woods. That's not my actual frame, mine is a 23" but has the same paint scheme. NOS for $20 on Ebay a few years ago, nobody else bid on it.

Old 01-28-18, 01:53 PM
Murray Missile 

Picked up this frame off Ebay for my wife......

Built it with SRAM and Tektro, no Shimano whatsoever. Can't believe how well the paint on the fork matches, the OEM fork on these was plain black. This fork was a random Ebay find.

Old 01-28-18, 02:12 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job on the wife's bike! Looking forward to seeing the finished Miele.
Old 01-28-18, 03:36 PM
pjthomas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that, I don't know if Hybrids will become C & V but some of them are nearing that age. Here's a before and after of a 730 I did a few years ago. Picked it up at a garage sale for $30, had some severe paint damage on the left side from a bike carrier so I covered that up with green 3M reflective tape.

I think I paid more for my daughters college Schwinn Traveler than it cost new.

The Trek 700 MT series seen popular for commuter bikes on the used market. Can't say about all old hybrids.

Last edited by pjthomas; 01-28-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 10:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I know most hybrid owners aren't into dump "rescues" and projects like the C & V folks but I thought I'd share this in case some are, I know I like seeing other people's projects regardless of what bike "genre" it is....
Thank you for posting! Yes, many of us are into this kind of thing. It's why my household has double the number of bikes as people... I've accumulated bikes over time that I bought cheap, but can't stand to part with. I have two that I primarily ride -- a 2015 Trek Verve 3 and a 1997 Trek MultiTrack 750. Each of my kids has 1-2 bikes, and my wife has 1, but I have an '84 Schwinn World Sport that I recently picked for 20 bucks that may or may not stay in the household. I currently have it built up like a hybrid (with trekking bars)...but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this bike...keep or sell.

This is half of the fun of biking to me -- building various projects for myself and others.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 01-29-18 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 03:54 PM
pjthomas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Each of my kids has 1-2 bikes, and my wife has 1, but I have an '84 Schwinn World Sport that I recently picked for 20 bucks that may or may not stay in the household. I currently have it built up like a hybrid (with trekking bars)...but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this bike...keep or sell.
My older daughter took my 88 Schwinn World (non Sport) to college where it spent 3.5 years being ridden or chained to a bike rack with alot of other Schwinn Worlds. Very popular bike and they fetch a decent price as commuters. Just paid $180 for a Schwinn Womans Traverler for my younger daughter.
Old 01-30-18, 07:40 PM
hokiefyd 

Wow! Not to derail this thread, but I paid 20 bucks for this World Sport, which had a severely bent fork upon closer inspection (I still bought it). I found a Fuji fork on eBay that was around the corner from me, so I bought it with local pickup, and paid $17 for that. The color is perfect, and the yellow on the fork offsets the yellow detailing on the bike. I currently have it setup with trekking bars that I still need to wrap, but it's a great rider. It has a very nice 6-speed Suntour "Perfect" freewheel with the ultra spacing on it (same 5.0mm cog spacing as 7-speed systems).

Old 03-07-18, 08:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Well, no progress on the Scott yet but the Miele is starting to look like a bicycle. I'll try to get a progress photo this week. I think it's looking pretty good but I'm a bit biased LOL. I originally planned on using a rigid fork and 700c X 35 tires so it's right on the edge of almost being too tall with the Rock Shox XC30 and the 29 X 2.0 tires but it'll work. Have some bits and pieces to round up still and I'm waiting on a bottom bracket tool but I hope to be riding it within the next week.
Old 04-29-18, 06:17 PM
Murray Missile 

The Scott is done, well for now, they're never really "done" are they? Rides SOOOO nice!!!!! Sold my Schwinn Searcher Sport yesterday and have my K2 almost ready to out on CL. I'm pretty happy with the way the Scott turned out. Now to wrap up the Miele.

Old 04-30-18, 04:36 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks great.
Old 04-30-18, 07:42 AM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Great job on the Scott! I love these kinds of threads and seeing all the possibilities.
Old 04-30-18, 08:28 AM
hokiefyd 

That is a great-looking Scott. Well done!
Old 04-30-18, 08:45 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I'm one of those "C&V vintage forum guys" and resurrected a French made 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring road bike a couple of months ago. Dad purchased it new in 1974 and it hadn't moved from it's ceiling hooks in the garage since 1982. Here's a before and several after shots. He even had the original owner's manual and frame pump. The lugged steel frame rides beautifully. I've got several hundred miles on it now.

I replaced the tires, tubes, brake pads, rim strips, leather pedal straps, bar tape, hood covers, saddle, and spent a TON of time disassembling, cleaning, degreasing, scrubbing, and reassembling the bike. Cables are next, but they work fine for now with some lube and use. Before and after shots...

Last edited by camjr; 04-30-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 01:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Nice Moto! I just scored a C&V Moto myself, an '82 Jubilee Sport: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lee-sport.html
Old 04-30-18, 02:17 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Nice Moto! I just scored a C&V Moto myself, an '82 Jubilee Sport: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lee-sport.html
I don't know how I missed that on the C&V forum Nice score!!