Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Headset removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 12:25 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Headset removal

How do I remove the bearing cartridge and silver washer seen here?
Old 05-01-18, 05:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
I'd probably try to pull that snapring with a pick. Be prepared for it to fly across the room. Try to cup your other hand over it to contain it.

Old 05-01-18, 06:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
That's not a "silver washer", it a snap ring, and acts as a retainer for the cartridge. As Lester recommended, use a sharp pick or other pointed tool to pry one end of it out of the groove and remove it completely. Work gently and don't distort the ring as you will need it when you reinstall the bearing.
Old 05-01-18, 07:21 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Stick a rag down the hole to restrain the snap ring so that it does not fly off into oblivion when it pops out.
Old 05-01-18, 08:34 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The snap ring only aids rhe reassembly of the fork. Once the fork is in place the snap ring does nothing. So if the ring gets lost (easy to do, after doing the "praying on the floor" for a while one just needs to move on) the bearing only needs to be kept together while the fork is installed. Not hard but one might wish for a third hand or stickier grease.

Being a guy who dislikes the use of tiny balls in his bearings and sees the wear/damage that tiny balls in bearings can often have I'll be interested in the OP's findings when all is pulled apart and cleaned up. The photo shows a relatively clean situation with no corrosion or grit. I hope the bearing's rolling surfaces are also clean and smooth and not rough or pitted as is so often the case when people feel the need to take a headset apart. Andy
Old 05-01-18, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Semi Integrated design?
snap ring part of the sub assembly .... that can come out as a whole,
as suggested by the separation ring, line, around the outside edge?
Old 05-01-18, 04:43 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Thanks all. The reason i am taking apart the headset is because I intend to have the frame re-painted. The headset was cleaned and lubed a few weeks back after I came back from tour. It is now smoother than it was, but it still has a slight granular feel. Definitely not as perfectly smooth as a Cane Creek 110 i had installed on another bike a few months back, or my other bikes. I will be rebuilding the bike once it is painted anew so i am not beyond getting a new headset altogether. But the reason for its removal now is to completely strip the frame for re-painting.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 05-01-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 06:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
That's a very good reason to remove the headset cups. But I suspect the bearing is fitted within a pressed into the frame cup/sleeve. If so then they too will want removal. Care to share your tour story? Andy
Old 05-01-18, 07:26 PM
Abu Mahendra

The tour was a three-week journey in Taiwan's east coast on a 406-wheel folding bike...

I posted a thread about the tour here, if you are interested...

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
That's a very good reason to remove the headset cups. But I suspect the bearing is fitted within a pressed into the frame cup/sleeve. If so then they too will want removal. Care to share your tour story? Andy