Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2017 Sirrus expert carbon X1

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2017 Sirrus expert carbon X1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 07:22 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my 1X11 mountain bike, with the drivetrain I had installed this past winter pedalling backwards. I think you may need to click on it to view the video.

Last edited by axxman; 06-11-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 08:11 PM
s2000zr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=axxman;19647023]Here is my 1X11 mountain bike, with the drivetrain I had installed this past winter pedalling backwards. I think you may need to click on it to view the video.

yeah, the x1 at the bike shop today would drop as soon as i back pedal. what should i do, the bike shop say is normal. but i haven't bought it.

is your sirrus X1 smooth like your 1x11 mountain bike without any drop? your 1x11 mountain is smooth!!!
Old 06-11-17, 08:14 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=s2000zr;19647117]
Originally Posted by axxman
Here is my 1X11 mountain bike, with the drivetrain I had installed this past winter pedalling backwards. I think you may need to click on it to view the video.

yeah, the x1 at the bike shop today would drop as soon as i back pedal. what should i do, the bike shop say is normal. but i haven't bought it.

is your sirrus X1 smooth like your 1x11 mountain bike without any drop? your 1x11 mountain is smooth!!!
I will try to record this week if I can get out. it is quiet when riding. shifts are precise. Honestly, I dont pedal backwards much in any gear, maybe half a turn. but I will try to get some recording while riding so you can hear. I dont know maybe I am just lucky with my bikes.
Old 06-13-17, 03:56 PM
45srbest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't seem like it should drop the chain. I'm interested to see the results.
Old 06-13-17, 08:40 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by s2000zr
I can 100% completely guarantee you that is not normal. Unless you are shifting when back pedaling, the chain shouldn't drop, if it does something is wrong.
Old 09-06-17, 11:42 AM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized is not selling this x1 bike anymore. Did you notice?
Old 09-09-17, 06:56 PM
s2000zr

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
Specialized is not selling this x1 bike anymore. Did you notice?
Yeah, I am glad I got the last X1 medium in my state.
Old 09-10-17, 07:34 PM
ste823

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finally was able to get out for the first time on this one today. Rode my longest distance ever. several people came up to me and said "nice bike" I didn't know what to say. the last 10 miles or so my neck and but really began to hurt, I think I definitly need different handlebars and possibly a different seat. I think this phenom seat feels a bit narrow. I am going to try the seats from my other two bikes to see if they make a difference. Other than that, shifting was precise I love the 1X11 setup. Brakes were great, I have the same brakes on 2 other bikes. the Quad lock is wonderful as well. the bar ends and grips were good I don't seem to have had much wrist pain. I set strava PRs on my ride I think about 20. it was definitly the fastast and farthest ride I have done in my life. bike is solid and silent.
Matte black bikes looks amazing
Old 09-10-17, 08:32 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just saw it on bike Rumors no 1X drivetrain, but thru axle and future shock and a shorter reach which I would have liked.

however, Imo non of them look as good as the X1. I was out today people go gaga for this bike.
Old 10-16-17, 08:09 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Installed my fenders this weekend as the weather is turning a bit wet, I have about 600 miles on the bike and I love it. Well, there are a couple things. the original saddle was not suited for me, I changed it out and have been fine. I went with the Specialized Henge Seat, 155mm width, I have the same seat on my MTN bike and I like it so I installed one on the X1. However, I just found out the Phenom comes in 155mm size, so maybe that is worth a look, they are the same price.

I have changed the handlebars and grips, I am still getting neck and wrist pain, I will eventually get it sorted. here are some photos of the fenders and the bike on a ferry boat that was part of my ride.

The grips are Ergon GP3 XL handlebars are Raceface Atlas with 35mm rise and stealth paint that matches the bike.
I also am thinking about changing the shifter, this is my first SRAM, and I am not that crazy about it. The reach, ergonomically does not suit me, I have to bend my wrist down to reach the lever, with my Shimano I just use my index finger. Shifting is precise. Other than that, nothing else I would change.

Rear

Front

Last edited by axxman; 10-16-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 05:30 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since I bought my Sirrus in May, I have been working on making it more comfortable, to me that means sitting more upright. I have changed out the handlebars and my LBS was able to get me a new stem from specialized that is about an inch shorter, but is still the style of the original. In the photo I am holding the original.

Last edited by axxman; 12-11-17 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 11:01 PM
steventsc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A year ago I could barely do 10, and I couldnt ride the next 2 days, one year later I am progressing nicely. just keep it up try to get out on the bike even if it is only an hour, get out 2-3 days a week.

Actually the seat that is on the bike now is a Phenom, however it is too narrow, I checked it is 143mm or so, my other bikes have like 155 or so, I am going to try both of those seats over the next couple of weeks on some long rides and see how they do.

In the mean time........I received a package today.....

And hear it is on the bike, well the front light...

Here is the Seat is says "Phenom" on the side, it is most definitly too narrow for me. I am going to try my other specialized saddle, the Henge on my 2016 Stumpjumper carbon comp. if that makes a difference, I may get another one, or maybe a wider phenom. dont know, but I am not mounting the lights until I have tried a few, I think my shop may have some I can try as well.

And here is the bike on the rack:
Hi! I know this is an old thread but just wanna ask - are the brake and shifter cables blocking the lights from the front stix with the Headset mount?
Old 07-08-18, 07:24 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stevenstec Yes the shifter cables do interfere a bit, mostly noticeable at night because it reflects off the cables. For my purpose, which is increasing my visibility to others. It really isn't the best light if you want to see the road in front of you at night, when I do ride at night I have a different light I use.

On a side note, the headset mount, I ended up taping it because the plastic clips just snap in, which is fine, but if you brush agains the light while lifting the bike for example, it is easy to knock It loose.

cheers
Old 09-21-18, 07:52 AM
MatthewVA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axxman,

I new to the bike forums but saw this post in a google search. I came across a used Expert Carbon X1 and just wanted to solicit your thoughts if possible. Looks like you really enjoy the bike. Any Cons for the bike? What are some things to look out for? And what do you think is a fair price range for a used X1?
Old 09-30-18, 09:58 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MatthewVA
Axxman,

I new to the bike forums but saw this post in a google search. I came across a used Expert Carbon X1 and just wanted to solicit your thoughts if possible. Looks like you really enjoy the bike. Any Cons for the bike? What are some things to look out for? And what do you think is a fair price range for a used X1?

Matthew sorry I just saw this post today, I usually check in once a week. I love my bike, I bought it to ride so I could get better at mountain biking. I use flat pedals, and I don't own a road bike, I don't think I will ever own a drop bar bike, so it is from that perspective I came to this bike,

ok, for me I had to change the handlebars and the seat, I am older and prefer a more upright position, I do not care about aerodynamics. the original seat was the more narrow I swapped it out with the same model but wider. no problems with the seat.

I swapped out the bars with 35mm riser bars, this helped with the neck pain, I still get a little wrist pain on longer rides, that seems to be the case on all my bikes.

I ride flat pedals.

I typically ride for 2-3 hrs at a time, covering 20-30 miles. any more than that and I start to hurt. I average 10-12mph

the bike is solid, quiet and handles well. on hills I can hit 40mph and not feel out of control, the brakes are so strong I can keep myself out of trouble. the bike just feels precise to me, brakes, steering, shifting. everything just feels solid. my medium is 22lbs.

cons, well, for longer rides 3+hours, the flat bar has limited hand positions, sometimes I wish it had Shimano shifters, I prefer the trigger action to the sram. the wheels are quick release, I would have preferred thru axle.

They stopped making them and the 2018 is now a 2X system, and has that future shock as well thru axle, but I am not sure the components are as good. Honestly I don't know the used price, it is 2017 so it is 2 years old, mine was 2k new. but the frame was the same as the 1350 dollar model I think. I am guessing, but I would think the price for a used one would be 1000 to 1400 but that is a total guess. I suggest examining the bike carefully, carbon fiber is strong as heck for bike riding but there are other things that can damage it easily such as crashes. or impacts or clamping it in a work stand too tight. good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.

Axel
Old 10-10-20, 07:41 PM
axxman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Have not posted here in a while, I just noticed my Flikr account has been closed and all the photos are gone. I will try to get some up here,

Last edited by axxman; 10-25-20 at 01:35 AM.