Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Budget work stand

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Budget work stand

Old 09-19-17, 10:33 PM
3gun

Bikes: ROUBAIX SL4 ELITE DISC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budget work stand

Looking for a good home work stand for washing, working etc. Whats a good one that's doe's not cost a fortune?
I have looked at this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3405641
suggestions ?
Old 09-20-17, 12:19 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gun
Looking for a good home work stand for washing, working etc. Whats a good one that's doe's not cost a fortune?
suggestions ?
Actually that Feedback stand is what comes to mind; they're pretty sweet, and better than say, Park offerings at similar prices.
Old 09-20-17, 06:58 AM
Trazam1986

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this one from Amazon, cant beat it for the price. But I'm in no way a pro mechanic either.

RAD Cycle Products EZ Fold Bicycle Repair Bike Stand $25.77
Old 09-20-17, 07:54 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
There are plenty of diy manuals for pipe and pipe clamp based stands online. I just built one where the base is an inverted crate I got for free and most of the vertical structure is 2x4 lumber. Also allows to hang the most common tools from it. Cost me about $60cdn. Some old tubes hanging from the ceiling support the structure (loop around handlebar to keep bike at desired tilt)
Old 09-20-17, 09:47 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
I was planning on buying this similar, cheaper stand, when Aldi's offered a similar stand for an amazing $30. The stands continued to sit around at Aldi's (who shops at Aldi's for bike tools?) and get discounted, they're probably all gone now, but maybe you could get lucky?
Old 09-20-17, 10:15 AM
Jwoair23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the stand from Aldi, got it for $20, it's a really great stand and heavy duty amazingly.
Old 09-21-17, 09:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
got this one the summer of 2016 & I've been happy with it

Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike $89.99https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike stand.jpg (19.8 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-21-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 09:30 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gun

suggestions ?
I second the Aldi suggestion (if you have an Aldi near you). I dont/didn't need a workstand, but a few months ago when I read about the Aldi stands in these forums I thought I'd go to my local Aldi and check it out. It looks pretty good to me! And while there, I noticed that right next to the work stands were decent pumps made of mostly metal (plastic breaks too easily), a gauge, and a double Schreader/Presta QR head...also for a ridiculous price...so I picked that up.

Dan
Old 09-21-17, 10:33 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
If you have a workbench you can lean the bike against when you have to do a two hand high force required job (bottom brackets and the like), then your "stand can be as simple, cheap, easy mounting and dis-mounting the bike and easy to store as mine. It is simply a rope with a loop that I hang the bike by the nose of the seat. Another rope with a foot of bungy cord and a hook steadies the handlebars if needed. Storing? The loop is at head height. Walking into it isn't a big deal. The hook gets hung on a higher loop on that rope so I cannot catch myself on it. So outside of re-hanging that hook, there is no storing and no needing to drag it back out to do a derailleur check (or in my case, change fix gear cogs, something I do about every second ride In fact, pre-ride, I lean that bike against the workbench. Pump tires, load WB cages, etc. Need to do more? I just pick the bike up,slide the seat forward into the loop and it's on.

I've been using these "stands" for 45 years. I get to volunteer at a coop where they have the real (good) Park stands. Yes they are nice, but I don't want one in my work space that also gets used for jobs like carpentry and that I would have to plan my whole shop around. I'd hesitate to take even the best if it were free.

One feature I really love about my "stand" is how easy getting the bike on and off is. Taking the bike off to set it down, open the front QR and center the tire, then return it to the "stand" take a few seconds. Also never scratches paint, mars decals or crushes tubes.

Biggest drawback - boasting rights.

Ben
Old 09-27-17, 10:04 PM
3gun

Bikes: ROUBAIX SL4 ELITE DISC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. Been looking on CL and have stopped by the Aldi. no luck. Will give it another week or so then go for the Feedback model
Old 09-30-17, 01:39 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Jwoair23
I have the stand from Aldi, got it for $20, it's a really great stand and heavy duty amazingly.
I got my Aldi stand for $13, after the manager told me they'd be sitting around unsold for $19.99 for some time. I almost bought all four left on the shelf, but I'm glad I didn't, because this stand won't even support the weight of my 26" mountain bike.

Aldi is too far away to return it, so I'll keep it around to work on the neighborhood kids' bikes!
Old 09-30-17, 09:10 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I too have an Aldi and am very happy with it, especially at the price.
Old 09-30-17, 11:33 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike $89.99https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i use this same stand... it is branded "Bike Hand".... it works great, except that the clamp needs to be both loosened at the adjustment, and the clamp cam lever, then reverse the process to clamp securely...easy to get used to... three turns...

i bought mine on a season-end closeout for 59.95, shipped... the Tripod base legs are good for uneven ground at the many outdoor events i attend, too... sets up quickly... it sees frequent use in my shop, and can handle heavy bikes like Schwinn Varsities... wide adjustment range on the clamp, too!

center the bike weight over the legs by adjusting the leg clamp to tilt the stand correctly, after setting your desired height.

Last edited by maddog34; 09-30-17 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 04:03 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by europa
I too have an Aldi and am very happy with it, especially at the price.
Mine looks a little different than some of the other Aldi's I've seen. For example, the latch on the clamp is all plastic. Others I've seen pictured on these forums have metal clamps.

I have done all sorts of adjustments to it and, at best, I can hang my bike vertically. Keep in mind, i ride a 1996 GT Outpost mountain bike that's loaded with accessories for commuting and such. Still, my Ultimate Support bike stand and the Park Tools bike stand I used to own supported its full weight at any angle with no problem/
Old 10-01-17, 06:12 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Mine looks a little different than some of the other Aldi's I've seen. For example, the latch on the clamp is all plastic. Others I've seen pictured on these forums have metal clamps.

I have done all sorts of adjustments to it and, at best, I can hang my bike vertically. Keep in mind, i ride a 1996 GT Outpost mountain bike that's loaded with accessories for commuting and such. Still, my Ultimate Support bike stand and the Park Tools bike stand I used to own supported its full weight at any angle with no problem/
The bike I've had on it most weighs over 12 kg. No problems handling that. Mind you, I'm not trying to hang it at all sorts of weird angles. Having said that, the operative term is 'budget', if you want full professional quality, you've got to pay for it.

Hmm, that reads as though I'm critical of you, which is not intended... and it's late and I'm too tired to rewrite it.
Old 10-01-17, 07:34 AM
Papa Tom

Hmm, that reads as though I'm critical of you, which is not intended... and it's late and I'm too tired to rewrite it.
Don't worry about it. This is not my first (bicycle) rodeo.

Anyway, I use my Ultimate Support repair stand (I want to say it was about $150-175 when I bought it years ago) for most repairs. I bought the Bikemate stand at Aldi because it was $13 and it was just STUPID not to check it out as potential Christmas gifts for friends. I haven't played with it a lot, and I've gotten it to hold better, but I still don't trust it for anything but kids' bikes.

That said, for the sake of the OP, I agree that a "budget bike stand" is probably going to be a "budget bike stand." If that's all he/she wants, then the Bikemates they sometimes sell at Aldi might be sufficient.
Old 10-01-17, 05:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by maddog34
the Tripod base legs are good for uneven ground at the many outdoor events i attend, too... sets up quickly... it sees frequent use in my shop, and can handle heavy bikes like Schwinn Varsities... wide adjustment range on the clamp, too!center the bike weight over the legs by adjusting the leg clamp to tilt the stand correctly, after setting your desired height.
I find I can move mine even with a bike in the jaw, you have to lift it one hand under the arm & lift the stand & bike together. just to skooch it one way or the other. I've used it outside, which is fun on a sunny day to wash bikes & clean chains, etc

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-02-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 07:52 PM
ParaWK4

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an old turbo trainer stand - the one that supports the fork and BB. It must be so old that I don't even see used ones on Ebay. It's kind of low to the ground but can put it on milk crates if more height is needed. I have also used the hang from rafters in the basement approach mentioned above.
Old 10-01-17, 09:07 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I rebuilt a friend's bike (strip to bare frame, rebuild to riding condition) with the bike hanging on the carrier on the back of his car. Cheap because he already had it and it worked a treat.

For a long time, I just took an old tow bar carrier and clamped it to a saw horse. That too made an effective workshop stand at no cost.

Years ago, I bought a stationary trainer, which I quickly learned to loath. However, with a bike clamped in that, you can completely rebuild a bike with the advantage that it's dead solid... and the disadvantage that you have to sit next to it to work on it.

I've done a lot of work using one of those stands that supports the bike with a hook under the rear triangle and another hook under a seat stay.

Of course, there's always the old turn it upside down on the floor option.

Sheesh we're a mob of cheapskates aren't we.
Old 10-02-17, 09:20 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Sheesh we're a mob of cheapskates aren't we.
And proud of it!
Old 04-05-18, 03:12 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Mine arrived today....very nice stand for the money....perfect for my needs. 1100 plus positive reviews.
Attached Images
Old 04-05-18, 05:49 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Mine arrived today
alright alright alright sure beats hunching over doesn't it?
Old 04-05-18, 05:59 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
alright alright alright sure beats hunching over doesn't it?
Man it’s a great stand!
Old 04-05-18, 10:36 PM
mtblurkr
Membie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked this up last month.......

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...air-stand.html