Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My new to me Cannondale

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

My new to me Cannondale

Old 04-30-18, 04:17 PM
Recoil101

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new to me Cannondale

Just got a Cannondale C400. The bike needs some work but overall I think it will be fine for what I’m using it for.

Questions:
1. the brake cables need replaced as well as the levers it could use new pads as well. For the money spent buying the parts independently is there a disc conversion I could just install?

2. The rear derailer shifter is broken. Finding a 9 speed shifter for less than 50 bucks has been difficult. Any ideas? It currently has SRAM Attack shifters.

Overall its a a good foundation to build a nice bike to tool around on. Lightweight very rigid and good looking geometry.

Any help would be great!
Old 04-30-18, 05:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

When you say that it needs new brake levers, are you talking about the levers up at the handlebars? If you need those plus at least one shifter, you might consider going to an integrated shifter/brake lever setup. It has 9 speeds in the back, and I presume 3 in the front, yes? So you'd need a 3x9 shifter setup (easy to source). You have a number of integrated options. Look at the Shimano ST-EF65 and the Shimano ST-M370. Both would work for your setup (linear pull brakes and 3x9 drivetrain), and you should be able to find a complete set (left and right) for under $50. This would solve both problems with one solution.

You can also choose separate brake levers and shifters. Search eBay or Google for "shimano 3x9" and you'll come up with a lot of options for the shifters; any Shimano 3x9 shifter setup should work for your bike. And any linear pull (or v-brake) lever should work for your bike. If in doubt, just ask here and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers!
Old 04-30-18, 07:09 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
^^ Good answer given to first question already. ^^

Originally Posted by Recoil101
1. the brake cables need replaced as well as the levers it could use new pads as well. For the money spent buying the parts independently is there a disc conversion I could just install?
!
Do you mean install disc brakes? The frame will not support disc brakes, unless there are already disc brake tabs on the seat stay and fork, which I suspect there isn't. You may very well be able to buy a 'conversion' kit to do the job, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's unclear how well this set up would work and the cost might be prohibitive to start.
Old 04-30-18, 07:12 PM
Recoil101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Welcome to the forum!

When you say that it needs new brake levers, are you talking about the levers up at the handlebars? If you need those plus at least one shifter, you might consider going to an integrated shifter/brake lever setup. It has 9 speeds in the back, and I presume 3 in the front, yes? So you'd need a 3x9 shifter setup (easy to source). You have a number of integrated options. Look at the Shimano ST-EF65 and the Shimano ST-M370. Both would work for your setup (linear pull brakes and 3x9 drivetrain), and you should be able to find a complete set (left and right) for under $50. This would solve both problems with one solution.

You can also choose separate brake levers and shifters. Search eBay or Google for "shimano 3x9" and you'll come up with a lot of options for the shifters; any Shimano 3x9 shifter setup should work for your bike. And any linear pull (or v-brake) lever should work for your bike. If in doubt, just ask here and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers!

awesome thanks for the direction!
Old 04-30-18, 07:13 PM
Recoil101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
^^ Good answer given to first question already. ^^

Do you mean install disc brakes? The frame will not support disc brakes, unless there are already disc brake tabs on the seat stay and fork, which I suspect there isn't. You may very well be able to buy a 'conversion' kit to do the job, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's unclear how well this set up would work and the cost might be prohibitive to start.

yeah I wasn’t sure about that. I will stay with the V brakes as they are easy enough to get and setup. Need to overhaul this bike.