Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2019 Giant Escape disc has been downgraded

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 05:53 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I happened to see if the new bikes for 2019 were on Giant's website, and the Escape disc was. The bike is less expensive than the 2018, I think mainly from it no longer having the carbon fork. It is also a 3x8 instead of the 3x9 on the 2018. Most of the components are different, but I don't know enough to say if they are better or worse. I am very happy that I got the 2018.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/on-road/city
Old 07-24-18, 06:09 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Notice that the only 2019 model they show is the Escape 2 Disc. 2018 was the Escape 1 Disc. In Giant's world, lower numbers are nicer trim. I think rather than looking at is as a downgrade, compare the 2018 Escape 2 with the 2019 Escape 2 (Disc). The '18 Escape 2 was $460 and came with 3x8 drivetrain and rim brakes. The '19 Escape 2 (Disc) is $520, $80 more, and for that extra $80 you upgrade from rim brakes to hydraulic discs. I think that's a good value.

I expect they'll show a 2019 Escape 1 Disc soon enough, with the carbon fork. I can't believe that Giant would do away with a carbon fork model of the Escape. More 2019 models may be revealed in time.
Old 07-27-18, 07:26 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek down graded the FXS6 for 2018 and kept the price the same, it seems that unlike car manufacturers, some bicycle companies come out the first year with great bikes then dial some of the models back. I’m guessing to either increase sales with a lower price, or increase profits by using the popularity of the bike model ?
Old 07-27-18, 05:02 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Trek down graded the FXS6 for 2018 and kept the price the same, it seems that unlike car manufacturers, some bicycle companies come out the first year with great bikes then dial some of the models back. I’m guessing to either increase sales with a lower price, or increase profits by using the popularity of the bike model ?
This absolutely exists in the automotive industry as well. I used to own a couple of Chrysler minivans, and can speak to this directly. 2001 was the first year for the 4th generation minivan. 2007 was the last year for the 4th generation, and 2008 was the start of the 5th. Things that were downgraded on the 4th generation vans between 2001 and 2007:
  • Rear tail lamps had three bulbs in 2001 (reverse, stop lamp, and turn signal). In 2004, they were downgraded to have just two bulbs (reverse and one combined stop lamp/turn signal).
  • Body side moldings were shortened in 2003, so that only the two side doors had them. In 2001 and 2002, these moldings extended to the rear quarter panels as well.
  • The overhead computer was simplified in 2003, so that you only had basic temp/compass and instant/average economy. Prior to this, you also had various programming features available.
  • The "eyebrow" as it was called disappeared in 2006. This was a second thin indicator panel up on the dashboard above the main gauges that showed various lights and turn signals. All of this was crammed into the main instrument cluster.
They didn't downgrade things that are marketed as selling features, but small bits and pieces were removed over time that, on their own, aren't a big deal. Taken collectively, though, it definitely makes for a degraded ownership experience. We owned both a 2003 and a 2007, and some of the things removed between those two years were definitely missed.

In the case of the Giant Escape, I really do think it's early and they only have the Escape 2 on the website. Which, when compared with the 2018 Escape 2, has been upgraded with disc brakes. Previously, I think disc brakes were available only on the Escape 1. The website has neither the Escape 3 (value model) or the Escape 1 (premium model) for 2019 yet. I'm confident that we'll continue to see a full range of Escape models offered in 2019, including those with carbon forks and all the nice features that are expected of nice hybrids.
Old 07-27-18, 10:54 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wasn’t saying “all” car manufacturers make their newer models better, but most do. I’ve bought new Honda’s for the last 30 years, an example was my 03 Civic Si. The car came with 15 inch wheels, no type of ground effects and standard headlights for it’s time. In 04, the Civic Si came with 16 inch wheels, better suspension, ground effects and better head and tail lights, all for the same price as a 03. Another example: I just bought a new 2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport (MT) in March, it is a pretty basic car, with HID headlights, and standard power options with no kind of “collision avoidance” BS and a radio with knobs. From what I’m hearing, is the 2019 Civic will come standard with some “collision avoidance” systems and LED headlights standard.

I don’t want to be negative here, but I’ve been in the auto business quite a while, and GM, Fiat/Chrysler are all about squeezing as much money out of a platform as they can. They both tend to stretch as much as they can out of a model while cutting back on cost.
Old 07-28-18, 06:01 AM
hokiefyd 

True -- this does seem to vary by manufacturer. I was impressed with Toyota put LED head lamps as standard equipment on all Corolla models a number of years ago. Not even the Camry or Avalon had LEDs at the time. We passed a new Corolla in the mall a week or so ago. It was marked down by the local dealer to something like $18,500. The list of standard features was quite long -- lane keep assist, collision mitigation braking, blind spot monitoring, etc (plus, leather, sunroof, etc). That's a lot of safety tech for under 20 grand!
Old 07-31-18, 08:29 PM
jskash

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Notice that the only 2019 model they show is the Escape 2 Disc. 2018 was the Escape 1 Disc. In Giant's world, lower numbers are nicer trim. I think rather than looking at is as a downgrade, compare the 2018 Escape 2 with the 2019 Escape 2 (Disc). The '18 Escape 2 was $460 and came with 3x8 drivetrain and rim brakes. The '19 Escape 2 (Disc) is $520, $80 more, and for that extra $80 you upgrade from rim brakes to hydraulic discs. I think that's a good value.

I expect they'll show a 2019 Escape 1 Disc soon enough, with the carbon fork. I can't believe that Giant would do away with a carbon fork model of the Escape. More 2019 models may be revealed in time.
You were correct. There are more bikes on the page now, and two Escape discs.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...cape-disc-2019
Old 08-01-18, 06:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by jskash
You were correct. There are more bikes on the page now, and two Escape discs.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...cape-disc-2019
Great find! I've been keeping an eye on Giant's pages as they slowly trickle some of the 2019 models in. They have added the three 2019 Roams:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-roam-disc-2019

They look to be very similar. There continues to be a massive price difference between the Roam 1 and Roam 2. Roam 2 continues with 3x9 Acera, but swaps Shimano M315 brakes (on 2018s) to Tektro HD-285 brakes (on 2019).
Old 08-02-18, 07:03 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great find! I've been keeping an eye on Giant's pages as they slowly trickle some of the 2019 models in. They have added the three 2019 Roams:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-roam-disc-2019

They look to be very similar. There continues to be a massive price difference between the Roam 1 and Roam 2. Roam 2 continues with 3x9 Acera, but swaps Shimano M315 brakes (on 2018s) to Tektro HD-285 brakes (on 2019).
I've been wondering about that. Are the Tektro HD-285 an upgrade over the Shimano M315?

Speaking in general, I'm not sure but I'm not liking the paintjob on most 2019 Giant models. For instance, I don't like one on the Roam 1 and the Fastroad Advanced.
Old 08-02-18, 08:06 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by finch204
I've been wondering about that. Are the Tektro HD-285 an upgrade over the Shimano M315?
Not really, no. They're pretty comparable, both being entry level hydraulic options from both companies. Both actually take the same brake pad (the Kool Stop KS-D620 as an example). I've personally owned both; my Giant ARX had the Tektros and my Giant Roam has the Shimanos. The Shimano brake levers themselves seem a little nicer to me (a little more compact maybe), the Tektro calipers use a bolt to retain the pads vs. a cotter pin with Shimano. Shimano uses a cotter pin in nearly every brake caliper until you get really high up in the line, where they exchange the pin for a bolt. All it does is keep the pad spring and pads from falling out, so it probably makes absolutely zero difference in practice. I could tell no difference in braking performance. My dad's Trek DS has Tektro HDC-300 brakes (similar to the current HD-M285) and his e-bike has Tektro Aurigas (which I think are HD-M290 or something like that). They all seem to work about the same.

I think it's no different from derailers or other parts -- lower grade stuff is just as durable, and generally works just as well, but the penalty (in exchange for a lower price) is higher weight and/or worse cosmetics.
Old 08-02-18, 10:19 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really, no. They're pretty comparable, both being entry level hydraulic options from both companies. Both actually take the same brake pad (the Kool Stop KS-D620 as an example). I've personally owned both; my Giant ARX had the Tektros and my Giant Roam has the Shimanos. The Shimano brake levers themselves seem a little nicer to me (a little more compact maybe), the Tektro calipers use a bolt to retain the pads vs. a cotter pin with Shimano. Shimano uses a cotter pin in nearly every brake caliper until you get really high up in the line, where they exchange the pin for a bolt. All it does is keep the pad spring and pads from falling out, so it probably makes absolutely zero difference in practice. I could tell no difference in braking performance. My dad's Trek DS has Tektro HDC-300 brakes (similar to the current HD-M285) and his e-bike has Tektro Aurigas (which I think are HD-M290 or something like that). They all seem to work about the same.

I think it's no different from derailers or other parts -- lower grade stuff is just as durable, and generally works just as well, but the penalty (in exchange for a lower price) is higher weight and/or worse cosmetics.
Thanks for the info hokie!
Old 09-12-18, 07:40 AM
daveinoh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I are upgrading to Escapes, i was able to get a 2018 Escape 1 disc (last one at my shop before the 2019's arrive) and she ordered a 2019 Escape 2. If I'm not mistaken the only real difference at least on the Escape 1 was the paint job and about 60 dollars. I think the Escape 2's now come standard with hydraulic disc brakes whereas before you could choose between 2 different models.

I liked the color of the 2018 Escape 1, so I grabbed it. :-)

Last edited by daveinoh; 09-12-18 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-12-18, 08:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Yes...Giant now show both the Escape 1 Disc ($750) and the Escape 2 Disc ($520) on their website. The Escape 1 Disc continues to come with pretty nice components for the price (carbon fork, Alivio Shadow derailer with 9 speed drivetrain, and hydraulic disc brakes). It also comes with tubeless tires, though I don't know if they're set up tubeless from the factory.
Old 09-12-18, 09:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If costs to make stuff keeps going up, You have a choice..

what would you do, to stay in business?
Old 09-13-18, 01:48 PM
hokiefyd 

In this case, it's not a question of downgrading the bike to stay in business -- it was simply the 2019 models showing up on the website in phases. The first model (and only one, for a while) was the mid-level '2', which made it appear like they were dropping the upper-level '1' model. But, indeed they are not.
Old 09-13-18, 04:07 PM
streetlight

Bikes: 2019 Giant Escape 1 Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation No, it has not.

Originally Posted by jskash
I happened to see if the new bikes for 2019 were on Giant's website, and the Escape disc was. The bike is less expensive than the 2018, I think mainly from it no longer having the carbon fork. It is also a 3x8 instead of the 3x9 on the 2018. Most of the components are different, but I don't know enough to say if they are better or worse. I am very happy that I got the 2018.
So, just to confirm -- none of this is correct. The 2019 Escape 1 Disc for $750 has composite fork and 3x9 Shimano gearing.
Old 09-13-18, 06:07 PM
jskash

Originally Posted by streetlight
So, just to confirm -- none of this is correct. The 2019 Escape 1 Disc for $750 has composite fork and 3x9 Shimano gearing.
Correct. The discussion above shows this clearly. It was true when the original post was made, but then Giant updated their website.
Old 10-14-18, 10:41 PM
MacDelta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The more costly 2019 Escape 1 Disc – downgraded from 2018

Why would Giant drop the Tektro 295 hydraulic brakes (2018 model) for the Tektro 275 hydraulic brakes (2019 model)? I thought the Tektro 285 hydraulic brakes were the lowest-grade, bargain-basement priced Tektro hydraulic brakes! Has anyone heard of Tektro 275 hydraulic brakes?

I wonder, did Giant strike a deal with Tektro to build a “special” low-cost hydraulic disc brake alternative to the lowest-end 285 models, altogether dismissing the Tektro 295 brakes included in the 2018 model?

Of course, such disappointing specs like these are easy to find. What I’m concerned about is how many other shortcuts have been made in Giant’s manufacturing process of one of their best-selling bikes. Shortcuts in frame construction and internal components can considerably limit the strength, handling and longevity of a bike. What a shame.

I’d buy a new 2018 Giant Escape 1 Disc tomorrow (if I could find one), because I believe it’s a better bike. Based on reviews from multiple sources, including Giant retailers, my intuition proved to be correct. I don’t mind paying more for a bike that offers more, but I’d be crazy to pay more for less: i.e., the Giant 2019 Escape 1 Disc!

A well-known bicycling website reviewer compared the 2018 and 2019 Eclipse 1 Disc models. In its price range, the 2018 scored a 9 and earned a respectable “Best Choice” award. The 2019 model? It scored a 7, with no accolades other than the internal cable routing. The reviewer’s closing comment was rather harsh, wondering if the visible shortcuts are indicative of internal and construction shortcuts which might make themselves known in real-world situations.

Driving just a few feet from multi-ton vehicles would prove to be one of those “real world situations.” It would prove to be a most inconvenient time to learn of any such shortcuts. I buy solid bikes that match my riding style and I keep them in like-new condition (my current Cannondale lasted through 30-years of heavy riding).. I’m not so attached to a bike brand & model – especially when it’s up to me to upgrade the new bike to make it road-ready. Why install and replace parts (to match the quality of the previous model), when you can buy a bike that simply needs to be adjusted to fit at the store? I’m looking for a bike that matches my riding style, as did the 2018 Eclipse 1 Disc. When I find such a bike then I’ll part with the money in a heartbeat. Apparently, Giant is facing the same problem with the 2019 Escape Disc. They’ve “improved” a “Best Buy,” by apparently reducing quality, lowering srandards, and increasing the price.

Last edited by MacDelta; 10-15-18 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 06:33 AM
hokiefyd 

It could be that Tektro is simply organizing their model numbers into "OE" and "aftermarket" lines, and perhaps the M275 is an OE line and they're eventually transitioning the M285 to an aftermarket line. There's also a new M282, but I don't know how it differs from the M285 (or the M275).
Old 10-15-18, 10:03 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by MacDelta
Why would Giant drop the Tektro 295 hydraulic brakes (2018 model) for the Tektro 275 hydraulic brakes (2019 model)? I thought the Tektro 285 hydraulic brakes were the lowest-grade, bargain-basement priced Tektro hydraulic brakes! Has anyone heard of Tektro 275 hydraulic brakes?

I wonder, did Giant strike a deal with Tektro to build a “special” low-cost hydraulic disc brake alternative to the lowest-end 285 models, altogether dismissing the Tektro 295 brakes included in the 2018 model?

Of course, such disappointing specs like these are easy to find. What I’m concerned about is how many other shortcuts have been made in Giant’s manufacturing process of one of their best-selling bikes. Shortcuts in frame construction and internal components can considerably limit the strength, handling and longevity of a bike. What a shame.

I’d buy a new 2018 Giant Escape 1 Disc tomorrow (if I could find one), because I believe it’s a better bike. Based on reviews from multiple sources, including Giant retailers, my intuition proved to be correct. I don’t mind paying more for a bike that offers more, but I’d be crazy to pay more for less: i.e., the Giant 2019 Escape 1 Disc!

A well-known bicycling website reviewer compared the 2018 and 2019 Eclipse 1 Disc models. In its price range, the 2018 scored a 9 and earned a respectable “Best Choice” award. The 2019 model? It scored a 7, with no accolades other than the internal cable routing. The reviewer’s closing comment was rather harsh, wondering if the visible shortcuts are indicative of internal and construction shortcuts which might make themselves known in real-world situations.

Driving just a few feet from multi-ton vehicles would prove to be one of those “real world situations.” It would prove to be a most inconvenient time to learn of any such shortcuts. I buy solid bikes that match my riding style and I keep them in like-new condition (my current Cannondale lasted through 30-years of heavy riding).. I’m not so attached to a bike brand & model – especially when it’s up to me to upgrade the new bike to make it road-ready. Why install and replace parts (to match the quality of the previous model), when you can buy a bike that simply needs to be adjusted to fit at the store? I’m looking for a bike that matches my riding style, as did the 2018 Eclipse 1 Disc. When I find such a bike then I’ll part with the money in a heartbeat. Apparently, Giant is facing the same problem with the 2019 Escape Disc. They’ve “improved” a “Best Buy,” by apparently reducing quality, lowering srandards, and increasing the price.
Not sure what area you are in but around me there are a couple bike shops that still have these on the showroom floor. Check the bike finder on the giant web page.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-1-disc-2018

As far as the differences go, there are both upgrades and downgrades on the 2019 model. Yes the brakes aren't as nice. The 2019 has stiffer 31.6 bars and stem as well as tubeless tires and tubeless compatible wheels. Other than that all the specs are identical, as well as the frame looks the same too. But I'm not sure those are worth the $55 price increase.

That being said I think the better buy is the Escape disc 2. I doubt anyone will be too bothered by the 8spd vs 9spd. And even a modestly priced tubeless ready wheelset would be a worthy upgrade even over the Escape 1 tubeless ready wheels.

Edit to add: I feel the Tektro 275 brakes work very well. This to me is a non issue.

I did post up my own bike for review in this hybrid forum and detailed the upgrades I have done. I liked the 2019 color scheme and felt the tubeless ready wheels were worth the extra money at the time. To me the biggest drawback of this bike is weight and the QR style axles. Kind of a non issue for a commuter and city bike but it is something to consider before buying.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 10-15-18 at 10:08 AM.