Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a bike 😁

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help me pick a bike 😁

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 08:33 PM
esteroali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me pick a bike 😁

I am a 57 year old female paddler who’s shoulders just informed me I need a new sport. I live in SW Florida and was looking into a hybrid for mostly road use. Florida Is flat and NOT bike friendly. Hoping to participate in group rides. I would like to use clip in pedals and have tubeless tires. Lightweight a priority. I “think” I want disc brakes. Budget total needs to be under 1k including any taxes and upgrades. This is my short list in no particular order. feel free to educate me as far as priorities/brands/models. Wanted to buy from a local store. The brands seem confusing as far as model and components. I don’t understand how different grades of components effect me. Thanks in advance.
1. Liv Thrive 2019
2. Specialized Sirrus disc
3. Cannondale 3,4,5 Quick ??? All the model numbers confound me
4. Trek FX3 2019.
As far as I know, only the Liv comes with tube less tires...
Old 11-07-18, 02:33 PM
bravotwozero

Bikes: Raleigh cadent i8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the liv comes with tubeless tires, and that's a priority for you, I would go with the liv, for pure convenience. Otherwise, all of the bikes can use tubeless tires and clip on pedals, just a matter of you having to get and replace those parts. I have hydraulic disc brakes, and they stop pretty quick. This might be useful for you in florida since it rains so much, and you could run into slippery roads. Disc brakes are also easier to maintain than rim brakes, as you don't have to worry about alignment issues etc, and I've seen bikes with disc brakes for under 1k, so that is doable. As far as the brands go, you'll be ok with any of those bicycles.
Old 11-07-18, 02:35 PM
sebastianshaw1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bravotwozero
If the liv comes with tubeless tires, and that's a priority for you, I would go with the liv, for pure convenience. Otherwise, all of the bikes can use tubeless tires and clip on pedals, just a matter of you having to get and replace those parts. I have hydraulic disc brakes, and they stop pretty quick. This might be useful for you in florida since it rains so much, and you could run into slippery roads. Disc brakes are also easier to maintain than rim brakes, as you don't have to worry about alignment issues etc, and I've seen bikes with disc brakes for under 1k, so that is doable. As far as the brands go, you'll be ok with any of those bicycles.
Totally Agreed!
Old 11-08-18, 07:14 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Hydraulic disc brakes are just really nice to have, in my opinion. No, they're not necessary, but even on flat terrain, they're very consistent, easy to modulate, and easy to maintain. I have a number of bikes with rim brakes, still, but I normally use my newer bikes with discs. For their relatively low cost, I'd recommend looking at disc brake bikes as well, especially if you think you want them. If you don't buy them, you'll always wonder if you should have. Your $1,000 budget can easily cover any of the nice disc-equipped hybrids that you've mentioned.

Other than that, it's all fit (and color) in my opinion. Buy the bike that fits you the best and that seems to ride the best and that looks the best to you. Trek vs. Giant vs. Cannondale...they all use quality frames and similar components.

Good luck, and let us know what you buy!
Old 11-08-18, 10:15 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Hmm, and why do you want a hybrid for predominantly road use? Just get an endurance road bike - it'll probably be lighter, which is one of the things you want. And it'll give you a more relaxed sitting position compared to racing bike.
Old 11-08-18, 08:13 PM
esteroali

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should day that!! The local bike store is encouraging me to look at endurance road bikes.
Old 11-08-18, 08:23 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by esteroali
Funny you should day that!! The local bike store is encouraging me to look at endurance road bikes.
Depending on the quality of roads in your area, you might also consider a gravel bike simply because they can fit wider tires than the typical endurance bike. When I switched from 28mm to 35mm tires, my road riding became much more comfortable.