Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 06:50 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Now this was heavy.. 3 miles and 3 big hills. Not going to lie I pushed it up one. Downhill was a eye opener.. had trailer sway.

Just because I could. Got some strange looks!

Old 07-24-16, 07:42 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Now that I have a Worksman Adaptable I pretty much do everything with it! All the groceries in our house are carried with it, I've done firewood for smoking meats...even haul my wife on the back using a cooler as a dry storage/seat for her (but honestly Miranda only weighs in at about 110 lbs). The gear on my Worksman is intended for a flat slab of 'crete so I do push it every so often uphill...But for me that's nothing. I'm in this utility/carless lifestyle for the long haul and believe I got a perfect "base" vehicle for it.
Old 07-27-16, 06:11 PM
LorenMiranda

4 mile rt today to the local food bank. Got about 50 lbs of canned/frozen and liquids. Fun stretch is the "Pines hill" for us....It's a steep, almost arrow straight overpass to a valley. Worksman handled flawlessly up, and down it. This trike is too much fun.
Old 08-04-16, 08:00 PM
justMatthew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode 14 miles to work and back on my commuter/utility bike.. with my lunch, work clothing and some tools in the rack bag.. I work at a bike shop and get to work on bikes all day. And some crazy guy actually pays me to do it. Lol.
Old 08-28-16, 01:54 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Not quite an errand, but I rode my bike to a concert tonight. It was about 5 miles each way. The way there was slightly uphill from mile 1 on, most of the way with a headwind. The last 1/2 mile contained the steepest part. I forgot how steep that section was. I was tired towards the end and just walked to steep blocks to rest and cool down. No more gas in the tank. I'm also barely getting back to riding. Hurt my knee a few months ago and it is just getting back to normal.

The way home was "wheeeeeeee!!!!!" Lots of quiet residential streets with bike boulevards. Besides the last 1/2 mile. Another uphill stretch. I just barely had enough gas in the tank.
Old 09-20-16, 04:32 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
None for the last few days but, I do, do smaller grocery runs for the most part, as well as trips to the library, or both on my bike. I can park right by the door get what I need and come right out to my bike.
Old 09-25-16, 12:57 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
fargo hunting.jpg

Does hunting caribou count as utility cycling?
Justin
Old 09-25-16, 11:54 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Attachment 538275

Justin
Only if you send me some of the chili, LOL.
Old 09-25-16, 01:53 PM
fastturtle

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I rode 2x 20 miles to go sing in a remote little church. Would have been no big deal but for the total 4'500 ft climb. On the way out with most of the climbing it took me 2 hours and I almost got there late.
Old 09-26-16, 12:36 PM
Lug

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Only if you send me some of the chili, LOL.
Since I doubt it would survive shipping you will have to come for a visit.
Justin
Old 11-28-16, 10:52 AM
sarahbruce

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Grocery run today! I was probably about half capacity for the xtracycle bags, as far as volume, without getting ridiculous. Finally my matching front tire came in and so far, so good.
Bruce

Old 11-28-16, 08:52 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Attachment 538275

Justin
No trailer? How are you going to get it out?

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 11-30-16, 09:54 AM
Lug

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
No trailer? How are you going to get it out?
I actually had two trailers along, they were attached to my boys' bikes. Kicker was that when I shot the caribou they were back in camp. So I put the front quarters and loose meat in the pannier, then tied the rear quarters and rib cage on between the seat and the handlebars and pushed the load out. Chose not to post the picture of the loaded bike as some people get all weirded out by the sight of bloody meat bags. I was about 4.5 miles from camp.
Old 12-14-16, 02:39 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Grocery shopping --a fair load for my hybrid w seat post rack--and no eggs broken:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek grocery.jpg (99.4 KB, 317 views)
Old 02-20-17, 04:26 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Not everyday that I post in this thread, but TODAY I had a LOAD, almost 300 Compact Discs, and some other stuff:

Bike Loaded with 300 Compact Discs by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Bike Loaded with 300 Compact Discs by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

It was very heavy, and I had un-velcroed my rear-view mirror, in order to lean the bike against a wall, facing South (the intended direction of travel)... but the mirror was left underneath all the CD's ! Oops! So I had to ride home with only my Helmet mirror...

The load was Heavy, only lifted my hand from the handlebar once to make a perfunctory left turn signal...

Other item was a rock-tumbler (No rocks)...

I was fortunate enough to have some green para-cord, to tie the Load down with, over the rear....

The Brake Light, in the middle, kept the row of CD's from sliding off the rear...

I have a new Coroplast™ Cycle Pannier page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1811...homepage_panel
Old 06-21-17, 11:40 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Ikea desk - and chair.

Old 09-30-17, 03:17 PM
LorenMiranda

No pics (phone died) but the ride to the Uncles ( 4 miles, even ups and downs lol) started with me and the wife (that meant the trailer). Just after leaving his place we caught a food bank (mental note lol) and picked up about 40 ish pounds dry/canned good!) Still with her in tow about 2 blocks from the local church we found a 20 inch huffy with a sign on it for free! Now my beloved was rolling we gained a little speed for about 3 blocks lol! Another bike with a sign! And another Huffy...this time a Cranbrook female single speed with brakes. With the little H tied on top of the groceries in my trailer, we made the final leg of the journey slow....stopping often to laugh at looks from passerby's and generally just loving utility cycling. The local minded awareness you gather...The stop and smell the roses mentality. I dont post here much anymore but should.... Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-02-17, 10:13 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
It was just a grocery run. Not a big deal for most of you but this was the first time in a long time. You see, I am not as avid a cyclist as I would like to be. I tried the "grocery run' a year or so ago at a similar level of fitness but using a Kona Minute and becasue Cargo Bike I was on a GROCERY run! I barely made it up the hill out of the parking lot that time! This time the load was a little more manageable and even though it was sligtly slow pedaling, we (the bike and I) made it home without breaking any thing or having a heart attack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2744.jpg (98.7 KB, 280 views)

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP

Last edited by mr,grumpy; 10-02-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-01-18, 01:23 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
diy cat litter

Old 01-03-18, 04:53 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bookcase for our son’s room

I finally met my match with my current bike setup—Carry Freedom small Y trailer which I have used to move loaded trunks and boxes during a house move and a glass-fronted cabinet last summer, with a tricky top-heavy shape.

This evening, I went to get a 180cm long bookcase about 2 miles away, which I knew would be a challenge because of the length in relation to my trailer. I brought an extra rear light for the bookcase, towel to protect the furniture, and lots of bungee cords and old inner tubes to tie it down. In the end, I did ride some of the way, and the weight was no problem, but any small irregularity in the road surface made the end drag, and it also slid around on the towel.

With an extension on the trailer attachment and some kind of rubbery protective layer to keep it from sliding, I probably could have pedalled it all the way home. Oh, well. I was glad to make it safely and not get caught in the rain, and the bookcase sustained only trivial damage.
Old 01-05-18, 12:31 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by mfcity
I finally met my match with my current bike setup—Carry Freedom small Y trailer which I have used to move loaded trunks and boxes during a house move and a glass-fronted cabinet last summer, with a tricky top-heavy shape.

This evening, I went to get a 180cm long bookcase about 2 miles away, which I knew would be a challenge because of the length in relation to my trailer. I brought an extra rear light for the bookcase, towel to protect the furniture, and lots of bungee cords and old inner tubes to tie it down. In the end, I did ride some of the way, and the weight was no problem, but any small irregularity in the road surface made the end drag, and it also slid around on the towel.

With an extension on the trailer attachment and some kind of rubbery protective layer to keep it from sliding, I probably could have pedalled it all the way home. Oh, well. I was glad to make it safely and not get caught in the rain, and the bookcase sustained only trivial damage.
So did you walk it home ? How far ? Your leaving us in suspense...
Old 01-06-18, 08:11 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
So did you walk it home ? How far ? Your leaving us in suspense...
Yes, it took about an hour for me to walk most of the 2.3 miles home! This was because I was laboring to keep everything more or less steady — the shelf slid a lot on the folded beach towel I had stuck underneath to protect the furniture from my trailer’s abrasive surface, and the towel probably also compressed a bit, allowing the bookcase to sag further at the back.

It was a good thing the trailer has a flexible polymer section in the hitch, so the unstable bike and load could twist safely.
Old 01-27-18, 08:14 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Recycling run after my birthday party

Likes For bugly64:
Old 01-30-18, 09:59 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Went to Walmart on my Miami Sun 'Traditional' trike.
Only 15 miles round trip.
Old 03-12-18, 06:37 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Groceries earlier in the day. We took advantage of a nice evening for a cruise around the local campus. I’m on Beulah, my Workcycles Omafiets
Attached Images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.