Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Something to consider for the coming year.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 10:08 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts

I put this out on another forum and had some interest. There might be a few here in the 50+ crowd who will have some interest as well.
Along my travels the past few years some people have asked about a bike rally in Michigan. Of course there are a lot of places many people would like along the lakeshore, but I realized that two things which have reached international importance are right out my back door and I do it every year. Every year around the end of Sept I ride up to Yankee Springs Campground and spend the weekend where I ride through the forest along the route of the Barry Roubaix gravel race and spend the following day riding (or driving/riding, depending on the weather) to Grand Rapids for the Art Prize competition.
I thought I would throw that out there and invite anybody who wishes to tag along. It would be the last weekend of September 2015.

Marc
Old 12-25-14, 12:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I put this out on another forum and had some interest. There might be a few here in the 50+ crowd who will have some interest as well.
Along my travels the past few years some people have asked about a bike rally in Michigan. Of course there are a lot of places many people would like along the lakeshore, but I realized that two things which have reached international importance are right out my back door and I do it every year. Every year around the end of Sept I ride up to Yankee Springs Campground and spend the weekend where I ride through the forest along the route of the Barry Roubaix gravel race and spend the following day riding (or driving/riding, depending on the weather) to Grand Rapids for the Art Prize competition.
I thought I would throw that out there and invite anybody who wishes to tag along. It would be the last weekend of September.
Hi Marc,

A MC and HYN to you. Is this a suggestion for a Seventh Annnual 50+ Ride this summer? DnvrFox has already posted a suggestion for 2015. Just recently I was thinking that a trip to Michigan would be nice in early July if if it were to include the OneHelluva Ride with fellow subscribers as in 2011; and I hoped to suggest a Boston Bicycling Weekend, or two, this summer.

Personally, I prefer road (asphalt) cycling to gravel, and late September is not as amenable to vacation as June through August.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 12-25-14, 01:02 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seasons Greetings ! I always try to go to OHR. I may be interested in that ride in Sept. are you talking carrying camping gear on the bike Marc?
Old 12-25-14, 03:14 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi Marc,

A MC and HYN to you. Is this a suggestion for a Seventh Annnual 50+ Ride this summer?
Not really. It is something I do every year and invited some people who showed some interest. It will be happening, so far there are 9 others who have put it on their calendars. I just thought I would throw it out here as well in case anybody else would be interested.

I was hoping for a Boston ride this year if nothing interferes again.

Marc
Old 12-25-14, 03:19 PM
irwin7638

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Seasons Greetings ! I always try to go to OHR. I may be interested in that ride in Sept. are you talking carrying camping gear on the bike Marc?
We'll be camping at Yankee Springs, then riding the Barry Roubaix route on Saturday, returning to camp. Then riding for a few hours at Art Prize in GR on Sunday. It's nine months away, we'll modify the logistics for our needs. No we won't be carrying camping gear during the rides.

Marc
Old 12-25-14, 06:14 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Michigan? I would have to make plans for that.
Old 12-26-14, 05:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I thought I would throw that out there and invite anybody who wishes to tag along. It would be the last weekend of September 2015.

Marc
Marc, do you know of a map of the Berry-Roubaix route? also basic info like length, climb, et cetera?

I'm not at all familiar with gravel rides/races - are they mainly rail-bed conversions? or have hilly tracks been "paved" over with gravel?

Per Jim's comment about road, maybe it's not all gravel?

Which bike do you take on this ride?

Edit added after a little research:

Ok, I've been reading the Barry-Roubaix site (Google "Barry-Roubaix"). There are maps and info about lodging. It looks like the camping area (state rec area) is about 30 to 40 miles south of GR. Art Prize week weather is typical GR, which can be anywhere from balmy breezy '60s to bone-chilling and wet 30s.

It would be fun to ride the B-R in a warmer season. Not clear on how to turn it into a 50+ (well, 50++ for me now!) event twinned with a road event.

I think I missed OHR last year. I'd be glad to connect with y'all at the ride this year!

Jim, all I can say for Ann Arbor is, C'mon Down!

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-26-14 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-26-14, 06:02 AM
irwin7638

The Barry Roubaix is just plain old country roads through the Yankee Springs forest. They can range from packed, smooth, concrete like stretches to loose muddy gravel. People ride anything from 32mm cross bikes to 5"fat bike tires. I wasn't trying to make this an exclusive 50+ event, I do this every year, decided to invite a few people I know from different areas, they wanted to join me, it will happen, so I thought I would throw it out here and see if anybody on this forum would be interested.

Marc
Old 01-04-15, 04:53 PM
irwin7638

Just a little bump for this, there are about a dozen people who are scheduling this or offering to help develop it. We know life intervenes but it's a happening thing hopefully with you!

Marc
Old 01-31-15, 11:38 AM
irwin7638

Just a little bump for this, there are currently 14 of us who are planning to attend this event in September.

Marc

Old 01-31-15, 03:36 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planing on it. Are you reserving campsites or should i do that? what mileage Roubaix route are we taking? suppose Mtn. bike would fit the bill?

/
Old 01-31-15, 03:56 PM
irwin7638

Planing on it. Are you reserving campsites or should i do that? what mileage Roubaix route are we taking? suppose Mtn. bike would fit the bill?

/
I'll be reserving some campsites when I know what we will need. I'll be using my Hunq, any touring bike, hybrid or mountain bike will do well for that day. We'll be on road or streets around GR on Sunday, so whatever seems appropriate. I'm looking forward to it.

Marc
Old 04-26-15, 05:26 AM
irwin7638

I thought I should add some life to this thread. Right now I have seen interest from 14 people who tentatively plan to come. The logistics and itinerary will look something like this: In August I will be asking for commitments so I can reserve the proper campsites (hopefully together so we don't feel like midgets lost in a trailer park), Friday will be a casual meet and greet with snacks provided by yours truly there is nice single track MTB course near for the early ones, also a bar around the corner), Saturday will be a casual ride of 40-60 miles on the roads that host the legendary Barry Roubaix gravel race, Lunch at a restaurant/brewpub in Hastings at the halfway point, Sunday we break camp in the morning and caravan up M-37 to the Woodland Mall in Kentwood where we can stage out for a casual ride through E. Grand Rapids to the downtown to enjoy Art Prize we can lunch together somewhere and ride back before returning to the cars which will have easy access to the interstates for everybody's return home.

Marc
Old 07-19-15, 11:57 AM
irwin7638

Time is drawing near, so I thought it best to give this a boost to remind everybody. It will be held Sept. 25 through 27th. We will be staying at the Yankee Springs modern campground outside Middleville, Mi. I will be taking a committed head count in late August to reserve the necessary sites together. Of course, people who live near are welcome to drive up for either of the rides. The itinerary will be; Friday casual meet and greet at the campsites (there are some nice single track trails for those who are early and want to stretch their legs), Saturday a 30 -50 mile ride through the Yankee Springs forest on the roads made famous by the Barry Roubaix gravel race with lunch at the turn in Hastings, Sunday, we'll caravan to GR and take a relaxing late morning ride through East Grand Rapids downtown and visit the Art Prize venues after which everybody can disperse and head home on their own schedules. Those who have expressed an interest or intention will be contacted individually to confirm.

Marc
Old 08-08-15, 06:19 AM
irwin7638

Just a reminder and bump for this event.

The way things stand 6 weeks out we have about 15 people intending to come. I plan to reserve 4 adjacent campsites at the modern campgrounds in Yankee Springs Sept 25th & 26, they are Large sites made for RV's and should provide us with room for everybody to have their privacy and still be able to hang out without searching around for each other. The sites allow up to 6 people per site so we will have room for last minute people. Cost will be around $20 per person for the weekend. Plus whatever food you might decide on.
The itinerary looks like this:
Friday meet and hang out for snacks and beverages. MTB trails are nearby for anybody inclined with the time.
Saturday, around 10 am take a casual gravel road tour of the forest to Hastings where we can lunch at the Walldorff Brewpub, return again on a different route through the forest. I guessing 40-45 miles round trip.
Sunday, after packing up, those inclined can caravan up to GR where we will stage out and take a ride through E GR to downtown and enjoy the spectacle of Art Prize.

All that being said, I have been invited to extend an invitation to join a C&V contingent at the Barry Roubaix Fall Fondo which is being organized. I just heard of this yesterday and we would all have to agree to change the date to Oct.9-10th and pay an extra $20 registration fee. I imagine it will be a typical gravel grinding gathering with a small CV group participating. I am inclined to say no, since most have already planned their time, but thought it only decent to throw it in front of the group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mich...vintage.bikes/

Marc
Old 08-12-15, 07:05 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Marc. If the majority of the peeps want to do the other ride, thats fine. Not sure about Oct. for me, but could happen.
Old 08-13-15, 03:40 AM
irwin7638

Hey Marc. If the majority of the peeps want to do the other ride, thats fine. Not sure about Oct. for me, but could happen.
We are sticking to the original dates. I don't have the final confirmation but between 10-15 of us will be getting together on the original dates of Sept 25-27. I'll be sending a PM in the next few days for confirmation.

Marc
Old 09-29-15, 09:30 AM
irwin7638

For those who missed out, we had a great weekend for a country bike ride.

Marc
Old 10-05-15, 07:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
For those who missed out, we had a great weekend for a country bike ride.

Marc
Hi Marc,

I read your delightful blog about the ride. I was waiting for replies to this thread, and the other one on the C&V forum, in particular to add to the Chronicles of the 50+ Annual Rides.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I'd like to propose this definition of a (Fifty-Plus) Annual Ride: One that is announced on the 50-Plus Forum for all subscribers, with sufficient lead time to make preparations to attend. No minimum number of riders, other than at least one besides the “host.” After the ride there should be some narratives and photos of the event (“without pictures, it didn't happen”). Then the ride should be recorded in the Chronicles. It would be helpful to keep all the suggestions for a Ride on one single thread…