Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck BB cup ( french )

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck BB cup ( french )

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 11:25 AM
plodderslusk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
The problem With the Park Fixed Cup-Tool is slipping. On my Gitaneframe I had a stuck cup and the Parktool slipped. With a Bar F-clamp and some large steel washers I secured the Park Tool in Place and used a long metal tube to gain some leverage . No slippage and the cup came off easy.
Old 02-22-16, 01:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I don't remember any fixed cups that wouldn't come off with the big stein tool, which was the shop standard tool for this. However they are/were a bit pricey for a home mechanic. Do LBS no longer have this tool??
The Stein tool only works if you have a wrench designed to fit the cup. If you have one of those odd-ball French octagonal cups, or (even worse) the cheap Italian 3-notch cups, you may not have a tool that the Stein attachment can work with.

VAR made a shop-quality fixed cup tool with different jaws to fit cups of various design (but not, AFAIK, the nasty Italian 3-notch version), but it was quite expensive, especially if you wanted the full set of jaws. The tool is still in production, but I think only one jaw type is offered now.
Old 02-22-16, 01:38 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Stein tool only works if you have a wrench designed to fit the cup. If you have one of those odd-ball French octagonal cups, or (even worse) the cheap Italian 3-notch cups, you may not have a tool that the Stein attachment can work with.

VAR made a shop-quality fixed cup tool with different jaws to fit cups of various design (but not, AFAIK, the nasty Italian 3-notch version), but it was quite expensive, especially if you wanted the full set of jaws. The tool is still in production, but I think only one jaw type is offered now.
Yeah, several manufacturers made and/or still make traditional fixed cup tools. These work well, assuming you know which way to turn the threads... Older shops usually had a campy and a VAR. I should have said Stein or similar fixed cup tool.
Old 02-22-16, 02:43 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I once removed the fixed cup on a '77 Gitane Gypsy Sport using the Sheldon nut method. It turned out that despite being a Gitane that model had an English threaded bottom bracket, which I was lucky enough to discover before I starting trying to force the thing loose. Even so, it took an awful lot of force. I believe I ended up using a three foot pry bar on it. Here are pics of what my "tool" looked like afterward. It made me so happy I kept it, and it's still in my tool box looking just like this.

Old 02-23-16, 07:36 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I used the Sheldon method from the non-drive side to remove the fixed cup from my '71 Gitane. It looked a lot like Andy K's pix above when I finished, but it removed a cup that had been aggressively loc-tited into place. It WILL work - but add me to the chorus asking what model and make and year frameset we are talking about ...
Old 02-23-16, 08:18 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Here's another vote for the Sheldon Brown method - removed a stuck cup on my '73 Gitane.

Try clamping the frame quite solidly and then using a hammer to tap on the end of the wrench. I have found that to work quite well with stuck bolts or nuts.