Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

The Hour Record

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 09:40 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I think this has been asked before, But: Aren't all these road conversions UCI illegal?? Isn't there wording to the effect of "no modifications of equipment are allowed"?
Old 02-27-16, 10:02 PM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I think this has been asked before, But: Aren't all these road conversions UCI illegal?? Isn't there wording to the effect of "no modifications of equipment are allowed"?
I'm no UCI rules expert, but article 1.3.002 states that "[a] license holder is not athorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition." If this is the applicable rule, then modification by the manufacturer is outside of the prohibition.
Old 02-27-16, 10:10 PM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar
I'm no UCI rules expert, but article 1.3.002 states that "[a] license holder is not athorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition." If this is the applicable rule, then modification by the manufacturer is outside of the prohibition.
Please forgive my ignorance. Does the UCI "approved bike" sticker not apply to track bikes? Doesn't any bike used in a UCI-sanctioned race have to be approved and sold in such-and-such a quantity and whatnot?

TC
Old 02-27-16, 10:44 PM
Koogar

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
Please forgive my ignorance. Does the UCI "approved bike" sticker not apply to track bikes? Doesn't any bike used in a UCI-sanctioned race have to be approved and sold in such-and-such a quantity and whatnot?

TC
My level of ignorance is the same or greater. UCI ultimately decides, was there, and signed off, right? The second requirement I think stems from article 1.3.007, which states in part that "[b]icycles and their accessories shall be of a type that is sold for use by anyone practising cycling as a sport." The Shiv is clearly ok there.
Old 02-28-16, 01:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
Do you know if any rider have break or tried break the eddy merckx hour record in the same track the eddy merckx had break the hour record. Eddy merckx used 52/14 make me i think i try on my bike with the 53/39 crank i have if i can found 9 speeds cassette start from 14 cog or 13 maybe. I dont think the 12 cog is go be useful for me.
The Hour record must be ridden using a fixed-gear bike. No freewheel. No gears.
Old 02-28-16, 01:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

The system, first proposed last year [2010], is designed to ensure all bikes used in professional races adhere to the governing body’s technical regulations. The stickers will have to be displayed on bikes used in road, track and cycle cross races.

The stickers will be provided for frames (and forks) only when they have gone through the UCI’s new Approval Protocol that came in to action from January 1 this year [2011]. It will not be applied to frames that are already on sale or in production.

Frames made in moulds will have to go through the full Approval Protocol with initial drawings submitted for approval by the UCI before a prototype is again submitted. More traditional ‘tubular’ frames made by welding or glueing tubes together will go through a shorter protocol whereby they are approved by the UCI via the technical drawings alone.

The full Approval Protocol could add several months to a manufacturers production schedule, and threatens to limit the amount of new products seen at bike races through the season.

A manufacturer will have to get each of its models approved (the approval is limited to eight frame sizes) before they can be raced on, and a frame that undergoes design changes will have to go through the procedure each time.

Not only that but the manufacturers will have to pay for the privilege. The UCI claim the costs involved merely cover the expense of the procedure. The full Approval Protocol will cost £7,800 + VAT while the simplified procedure (for tubular frames) will cost just £500 + VAT.
https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...ng-bikes-55266

UCI Approved List (updated 4 FEB 2016.): https://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/R...ks_English.pdf

Guess what bike is NOT on there? The Specialized Shiv

Last edited by carleton; 02-28-16 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-28-16, 01:42 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
UCI Approved List (updated 4 FEB 2016.): https://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/R...ks_English.pdf

Guess what bike is NOT on there? The Specialized Shiv
If the Shiv in it's current form existed back in 2011 then it doesn't need to be on the approved list.

From the UCI link

Models on the market, at the production stage or already manufactured on 1 January 2011 are not required to be approved during the transition stage. However, the non - approved models have to comply in any case with the UCI technical regulations (Articles 1.3.001 to 1.3.025) and are subjects to the commissaires decision during events
Old 02-28-16, 02:32 AM
Baby Puke

OK, how about Brad Wiggins' one-off 3d printed ti bars? I don't think those are available for general consumption.
Old 02-28-16, 04:04 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Totally agree at the absurdity of the UCI rules and enforcement of them...

Try buying the pre Cervelo UK bike or a German FES! Heard a great most probably urban legend about the FES having an unadvertised shop front that opens only once a year. And even if you found it and was there that day then you would get a ridiculous lead in time and price!

Would love a FES

Old 02-28-16, 10:00 AM
Baby Puke

These hour record bikes just seem to be flouting the rules blatantly. They all seem to be road TT bikes with either track width rear triangle (major modification) or wheels modified to run track cog with road width axle (less major). That's just to get the thing using a fixed gear. Even chopping off the derailleur hangar would seem to be a rule violation in that it's a modification. Why can't they just use a pursuit bike as Bobridge and maybe one other high-profile rider have done? I understand the brand marketing angle, but then why have the rules? I feel like if someone with clout stood up and protested this all these records would be legitimately in danger of being thrown out.
Old 02-28-16, 12:23 PM
700wheel

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
These hour record bikes just seem to be flouting the rules blatantly. They all seem to be road TT bikes with either track width rear triangle (major modification) or wheels modified to run track cog with road width axle (less major). That's just to get the thing using a fixed gear. Even chopping off the derailleur hangar would seem to be a rule violation in that it's a modification. Why can't they just use a pursuit bike as Bobridge and maybe one other high-profile rider have done? I understand the brand marketing angle, but then why have the rules? I feel like if someone with clout stood up and protested this all these records would be legitimately in danger of being thrown out.
UCI rule 1.3.002 says in part A licence holder is not authorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition.
So as long as the bike/components manufacturer does the mods and provides the equipment it appears to be legit.
Old 02-28-16, 03:05 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
UCI rule 1.3.002 says in part A licence holder is not authorised to modify, in any way, the equipment given by the manufacturer used in competition.
So as long as the bike/components manufacturer does the mods and provides the equipment it appears to be legit.
But are that frame, cranks, or disc "commercially available" in that format? No. They are all modified.

The frustrating part about rules is that regular folks spend a lot of time and energy adhering to them. It sucks to see that someone else may not have to play by the same rules.

So the Shiv is not on the approved bike list. So, the commissars simply have to do measurements on-site. So, does that mean that no bike manufacturer have to send their designs in for approval?
Old 02-28-16, 04:25 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
New designs post 2011 must be on the approved list. Models unchanged since before 2011 just need to meet the rules.
Old 02-28-16, 11:58 PM
Baby Puke

I mean, you're not even allowed to file the lawyer tabs off, right? And the bit about the license holder not doing it, but the manufacturer can? As Carleton said, you just made unobtainium, which I believe is against both the spirit and letter of the rules. Me no understand.
Old 02-29-16, 04:56 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The rules at the elite level have always been loosely enforced. A number of years the Australian Pursuit team used Giro Advantage helmets with taped on visors. Rules clearly state no mods on helmets either including visors if the helmet never originally had one... Wouldn't get away with that at non elite event!
Old 01-10-24, 12:52 AM
MikeMowett

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who set the 46.748 Km hour record (in Texas?) mentioned above? Which Velodrome was it at?
Old 01-10-24, 12:56 AM
MikeMowett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for more details on this hour mark

Originally Posted by defspace
He pulled it off: 46.748km
That page isn’t working anymore.
Who was the rider and what was his approximate age (like Masters Age 40-44 etc)?
what track was this at?
thanks!
Old 01-10-24, 06:18 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeMowett
That page isn’t working anymore.
Who was the rider and what was his approximate age (like Masters Age 40-44 etc)?
what track was this at?
thanks!
Mike,
You picked up a very old topic.
Welcome to BF, we ALL have done this.
Old 01-13-24, 03:00 PM
MikeMowett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hour record in Texas

Hi I'm still wondering if anyone on this old thread knows who rode the Hour record of 46.748 km mentioned above by User defspace, under a broken link entitled "Texans on the Track"
It appears it was set in late 2015, and possibly on the now dismantled Frisco Superdrome. I say this because there's no record I could find on the remaining Alkek velodrome in Texas, I'm an Hour stats guy, who has compiled quite and extensive list of Hour marks set worldwide (all viewable on GoogleSheets). I'd really like this one for my collection.
Old 01-20-24, 07:11 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Internet archive has a snapshot of the link - text seems to be before the record was set but goes into some details that may be helpful https://web.archive.org/web/20160302...-on-the-track/