Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anybody planning riding to see solar eclipse on Aug 21st?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anybody planning riding to see solar eclipse on Aug 21st?

Old 06-12-17, 08:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I think it's great that people are trying to make money off this event. Hotels booked a year in advance, campgrounds charging 20 times the usual rate, a guy hawking an app to tell you when its coming, people selling "viewing glasses." What else? T-shirts? No doubt. Eclipse microbrew?
Make the brew dark enough, you won't need viewing glasses
Old 06-18-17, 11:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
Thanks for the warning! Even more reason to take a vacation out of Oregon during that week.

You could ask least fly in a few bands and do Vortex II.
Old 06-19-17, 01:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
In a state with less than four million residents, ODOT is expecting over a million eclipse visitors. They have started warning people that we may well run out of gasoline and that the roads will be jammed. I don't know if tempers will flare or if a party atmosphere will prevail, but I want no part of it.

I live just south of the line of totality. If I choose to ride on the day of the eclipse, it will be to ride off early in a southerly direction. After the eclipse, I'll turn north and head for home. A nice ride is more important to me than an eclipse. YMMV.
Actually, Travel Oregon has upped the figure to 2.2 million people visiting the state, not to mention the Oregonians who will travel to see it. It might be fun!!

We could probably see it from our front yard, but we will be riding a short distance to out of town, and up a high ridge, just in case there is a marine incursion. We just checked out some spots this morning. We were checking out good spots for pictures.

P.S. Viewing glasses are just a couple of $$ a pair.
Old 06-20-17, 08:28 AM
bootskelsey62
Bike nutz for 45+ years

Bikes: Which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those in the mid-west, Tunnel Hill rail trail will have some of the best viewing in the nation! Vienna Il. at the southern tip will be in the max totality of darkness. There are multiple camping options in the area. Very little hotel rooms though. Happy viewing! Our group from Louisville Ky. will be there for a day ride.
Old 06-20-17, 02:59 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be at work in Albany, OR so I'll just go out to the parking lot and look at it. Unless it's raining. Heck, even then I'd look to see how dark it gets. I have an arc welding mask, I've looked at the sun with it before. I just hope the back roads I take to get there from Falls City aren't too crowded for me to make it to work.
Old 06-24-17, 10:53 PM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be hot, muggy, and buggy, but I'll be riding South Carolina's Palmetto Trail for the eclipse. The eastern segments are smack in the center of the path of the totality. Getting very excited about it.
Old 06-25-17, 07:33 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by bootskelsey62
For those in the mid-west, Tunnel Hill rail trail will have some of the best viewing in the nation! Vienna Il. at the southern tip will be in the max totality of darkness. There are multiple camping options in the area. Very little hotel rooms though. Happy viewing! Our group from Louisville Ky. will be there for a day ride.
Yea, southern tip of Illinois is prime and I hope to be there as I ride down there frequently. I have some friends that are doing the Katy Trail on that date for the viewing possibility as well.
Old 06-25-17, 07:55 AM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
It would be lovely to cycle through the eclipse ... but expect the roads to be crazy EVERYWHERE anywhere near the path of totality. It would be a shame to miss the experience because some idiot was driving in a, shoulder to try and see things better. Oregon officials are expecting hundreds of thousands of eclipse viewers filling the back-country
and causing gridlock on every road east of the coast.

I started thinking about this eclipse ten years ago, and I am not alone.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by bikenh
I've been planning a summer long bike trip for quite a while, but I'm not planning on the specific location where I will be until starting a week out from the eclipse and then I will ride to where the sun is going to be, and the clouds aren't going to be, located. I'll be carefully watching the weather forecast in the final week and place myself around where the sun will be shining brightly not where I'll be parked under cloudy skies. No I don't plan to stop riding to view the eclipse I instead want to watch what goes on around me,, how the wind dies off, the animals behave, etc as I continue to Ride Through Totality. Right now thanks to the stupid moronic bike I have my departure is being stalled. Got to get it in to fix this warrant issue for the the second time in 1.5 years, Stupid rack inserts that Specialize uses on their bikes don't like to stay in the frame, so you can reliable mount anything to the bike to go on a long distance trip. Pretty much I have ZERO faith in the bike but I'll leave anyways and have the absolute horrible email for Specialized pre written to be sent on the trip if they don't end up replacing the frame this time...which I highly doubt they will...too much profit loss for them to do that.
Old 06-30-17, 07:24 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking my Learjet to Nova Scotia
Old 06-30-17, 10:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
There will be a thunderstorm where I am during the eclipse. So, instead I went to the post office yesterday and got the stamps so I can look at the stamp during the eclipse.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...uctId=S_475304

They said they are going fast.
Old 07-07-17, 01:27 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
well you're where you should be all the time...
Old 07-07-17, 10:31 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
not biking, but we're heading to Wyoming, got a reasonable price on a room in Pinedale, we're getting there a few days early, and going to find a good observation point up around 10000' a bit north of Pinedale.
Old 07-08-17, 02:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
not biking, but we're heading to Wyoming, got a reasonable price on a room in Pinedale, we're getting there a few days early, and going to find a good observation point up around 10000' a bit north of Pinedale.
enjoy the wind rivers. hope to make it there one of these days.
Old 07-08-17, 07:37 AM
Mtroup

Bikes: Jones Plus, Tern Verge Tour

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
You're so vain. I bet you think this thread is about you.