Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long to give a new Brooks B17

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 11:39 AM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an electric bike that I'm riding more now (commute is 10 miles one way) but the saddle was uncomfortable. I bought a Brooks B17 Imperial (cut-out) and I've ridden it three or four commutes now. It's really uncomfortable on the left side, like it feels like a nerve being pinched. I found if I put the saddle level I was sliding forward, so I have the nose up at the moment. That puts me in a stable position, but I'm left wondering if perhaps it's uncomfortable because maybe I'm sitting on part of the rail? How long should I break in a Brooks before I know it's not going to work for me?
Old 10-05-18, 12:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
To answer the direct question, the B-17s that I've put on were never UNcomfortable, but they became more comfortable after 500-1,000 miles.

The asymmetry would concern me. It's possible there's a problem with the saddle, or it may be the rider. :/ I would wonder about a leg length mismatch (that might be corrected with shims), or possibly, if you're using clipless pedals, one cleat is further forward than the cleat on the other shoe.
Old 10-05-18, 12:27 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
hmmm, errr, mine (B17 regular) was good for me me right out of the box
Old 10-05-18, 01:31 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have 2 B17s and a Brooks Professional. Never had a comfort issue with either of them. Proper padded bike shorts help for any saddle, if you aren't already using them. I ride mine pretty much dead level. Moving it fore and aft along the rails might help to get it dialed in. I've gotten two from Ebay from people who didn't like them, so maybe they are not for everybody, but they work for me. I've been using them since 1964. None of mine have the center cut outs.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-05-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 03:45 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
" The nose up at the moment" How much is up? If you keep sliding forward on the saddle I'm guessing either the saddle is at the wrong height or you need to adjust it forward.
Old 10-05-18, 11:13 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
" The nose up at the moment" How much is up? If you keep sliding forward on the saddle I'm guessing either the saddle is at the wrong height or you need to adjust it forward.
About this much.

Last edited by ericcc65; 10-05-18 at 11:13 PM. Reason: new line
Old 10-05-18, 11:44 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
That doesn't look "nose up" to me. That's about how all my leather saddles are.
Old 10-06-18, 01:06 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My B-17 was instantly better than the oem it replaced. Somewhere around mile 400, it simply became unnoticeable, which is about the best you can say about a saddle.
Old 10-06-18, 05:11 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcc65
It's really uncomfortable on the left side, like it feels like a nerve being pinched.
Stop using it! No jokes. ASAP. It does not look like a saddle for your butt.
Old 10-06-18, 05:12 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
My B-17 was instantly better than the oem it replaced. Somewhere around mile 400, it simply became unnoticeable, which is about the best you can say about a saddle.
Almost exactly my experience. Mine is slightly up in the front and I have the saddle with the cut-out (Imperial). But, as others have noted, mine was never horribly uncomfortable. I now have about 1500 miles on mine. I’m guessing, like others that it’s either an adjustment issue, or the Brooks isn’t for you. There are those that don’t match up well with Brooks saddles. I hope it’s an adjustment since they’re rather pricey.
Old 10-06-18, 05:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I doubt that saddle will ever be comfortable for you. I experience the same frustration. It's a bummer when the holy grail of saddle comfort finds us squirming on short rides. If I were you I'd consider an ISM comfort saddle.
Old 10-06-18, 11:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
not a good fit?

Other possibilities bars to far away and too low, ..

Need a gel comfort saddle instead, ?
Old 10-06-18, 12:42 PM
xetaprime

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of things. I've used Brooks saddles exclusively since the 1970s- admitting however I fell out of cycling in the 90s and back early 2000s on and off. Mostly off but I'm back baby! Anyway, there are those that say take a 'level' and put it on your seat. Usually there's a sag in the middle but the back and nose rest against the level. This usually results in a saddle that looks like the nose is high, but your butt is centered in the saddle. There are those that say soak your saddle in Neatsfoot Oil to soften and help contour the saddle. Some say that is the worst you can do. The middle ground may not be a bad idea. Wipe Neats on top and bottom a few times- versus soaking. It does darken the leather, but does soften it some. Don't over-do and you may find it helps. A little then stop. A little then stop. Off-center- maybe a little more oil on one side than the other. Or, hand massage the seat HARD! Seriously, push, massage, PUSH OH YEAH! DON'T STOP! I'm now thinking of an uncensored Family Guy video forgive me:
IF YOU WATCH IT'S NOT MY FAULT! DON'T DON'T WATCH!

Bartender!

Last edited by xetaprime; 10-06-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 01:01 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
It's not uncommon to turn the nose slightly left or right to fit someone's personal anatomy.
Old 10-06-18, 02:16 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Most Brooks I've had over the years were comfortable right out of the box but were hard like wood. That's where the break-in period comes in to play. If that Brooks is not comfortable riding now it may never be comfortable. Just FYI.

If you don't peddle a lot, as on an eBike, I would think that it might take longer to break-in? I don't know for sure. I think the act of peddling is what messages and moves the leather. Just sitting on it may take longer. You should start to notice a difference after 300 miles or so...I would think....
Old 10-06-18, 02:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcc65
I have an electric bike that I'm riding more now (commute is 10 miles one way) but the saddle was uncomfortable. I bought a Brooks B17 Imperial (cut-out) and I've ridden it three or four commutes now. It's really uncomfortable on the left side, like it feels like a nerve being pinched. I found if I put the saddle level I was sliding forward, so I have the nose up at the moment. That puts me in a stable position, but I'm left wondering if perhaps it's uncomfortable because maybe I'm sitting on part of the rail? How long should I break in a Brooks before I know it's not going to work for me?
What seat did it replace and how high was it off the rails? If you simply replaced the seat without adjusting the height, it may be too high. The B17 is not very forgiving with respect to a too high seat height. I had issues, similar to yours, and it was too high. I too slid forward, and had pain. Later, as the dimples appeared, they were off center, showing I was dropping one leg to compensate. I have since lowered the seat, using Steve Hogg's methods, and I now can run the seat with the nose almost level, and i do not slide forward at all, I am stable. I have zero pain, and the dimples have now reformed where they should be.

You also have a lot of drop. You may or may not be able to get the seat to work, but you specific problem doesn't really sound drop related.

Go through the steps on Hogg's site for setting seat setback and height. It should help. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Old 10-06-18, 02:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had 10 years on my Brooks before touring on it, for more than day rides.
Old 10-06-18, 02:39 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
As others have experienced, my B17s felt comfortable for me right out of the box. I have two, one on my road bike and the other on my touring/gravel bike.
Old 10-06-18, 03:21 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
My B17 remained hard as a rock after 9 years. I would often complain about my saddle to other cyclists and to bike store employees, and was often told to keep at it, and one day the saddle would break in and I would experience saddle nirvana. Sadly, that day never came, and when I finally got rid of my saddle after 9 years, I reckoned that that magical day would come the same day that Elvis astride a pink unicorn would fly out of my ass.
quitter
Old 10-06-18, 03:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Lower the saddle a wee bit before doing anything drastic.
Old 10-06-18, 03:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Elvis astride a pink unicorn would fly out of my ass.
Getting all of that biomass out of one's cloaca could only help.
Old 10-06-18, 04:03 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
What seat did it replace and how high was it off the rails? If you simply replaced the seat without adjusting the height, it may be too high. The B17 is not very forgiving with respect to a too high seat height. I had issues, similar to yours, and it was too high. I too slid forward, and had pain. Later, as the dimples appeared, they were off center, showing I was dropping one leg to compensate. I have since lowered the seat, using Steve Hogg's methods, and I now can run the seat with the nose almost level, and i do not slide forward at all, I am stable. I have zero pain, and the dimples have now reformed where they should be.

You also have a lot of drop. You may or may not be able to get the seat to work, but you specific problem doesn't really sound drop related.
Thanks for the ideas. I did lower the saddle such that it was at the same height as my previous saddle. It replaced some cheap thing with too much padding I got at Performance Bike. I only ride this to commute on, but I'm finding the saddle is still important.

I'm 6'5". So it may look like a lot of drop, but I'm actually fairly upright.

I'll re-do some of the fitting with the suggested site. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-18, 04:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I had to lower mine a bit more than I would with other saddles, or one side (corresponding to a very slightly shorter leg) hurts.
Old 10-07-18, 04:09 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I bought my Brooks B17 mail-order from a place in North Dakota or somewhere. It was a tad cheaper than from other better-known outlets. Took me a while to realize it was crooked. When the back part is centered, the nose points off to the right by 5 or 10 degrees. I find that centering the back with the nose pointed off to the right is comfortable. Nose appears quite high relative to the back. I have done 50-plus mile rides on this & have no complaints about the saddle. Before setting the nose off to the right and pointing it high, long rides caused horrible hip pain on one side.
Old 10-07-18, 10:53 AM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’ve had great luck with B17s but had to shift to a sprung Flyer Special when I ride in a more upright position. I found that the more upright I was, the less comfortable my old B17 was. The Flyer provided just enough spring (not much mind you) to dampen vibration and comfort the upright riding style. They do make a Flyer Imperial but it only comes in black.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.