Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What other hobbies get in the way of bike buying ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What other hobbies get in the way of bike buying ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 04:27 PM
flamencohead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Surfing. I can go weeks without riding when the winter swells hit California.
Old 12-03-18, 04:45 PM
gitapik

Bikes: Land Shark / Single Speed hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand...

...I’m on some guitar forums. Sometimes a post comes up, asking what other hobbies get in the way of buying guitar gear.

“Bicycles”, is my stock reply.
Old 12-03-18, 04:52 PM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Real coincidence, I pulled my CC out last week after 20 years in Rubbermaid. Just cleaned the optical sensors in the Turbo Mouse and it works a charm. Now I needto get it networked, may I contact you if I have trouble?

I really wanted the IIci but it was over 3K cdn at the time.

I've also got 4 motorcycles to play with and I'm trying to build a telecine unit for Super 8 film transfers
Cool I love Super 8. Here's the unit I built a few years ago.
Old 12-03-18, 05:30 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by rlorenz2
Cool I love Super 8. Here's the unit I built a few years ago.
Wow slick. I've got a Eumig Mark 610D and looking for a proper camera/lens to do a hack like this but yours looks next level. None of it's easy.
Old 12-03-18, 08:12 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How did your gig go, @fender1?
Tom, it went really well and thanks for asking! I play in two bands and both played this show.
The first band is me, my wife and my brother--in-law. It's fun to share something with people you like. We have been doing it now for 26 years.....
Second band is a three piece as well and in that band, I have known the guitar player/singer for almost 30 years, so a similar situation. It takes effort but it's worth it.
Old 12-03-18, 08:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Tom, it went really well and thanks for asking! I play in two bands and both played this show.
The first band is me, my wife and my brother--in-law. It's fun to share something with people you like. We have been doing it now for 26 years.....
Second band is a three piece as well and in that band, I have known the guitar player/singer for almost 30 years, so a similar situation. It takes effort but it's worth it.
Totally worth it. I've been singing in ensembles continuously since I was nine. That's devotion!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-18, 11:50 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
HiFi, vinyl, photography, adaptive sports (paracycling included), and my love for le IPA.
I think I know you from somewhere!

Originally Posted by Dean51
Today.....it is an old hobby that is getting in the way. Several years ago I got into building vacuum tube guitar amplifiers....cloning some classic Fender designs. Along the way, I accumulated a boat load of tubes. I'll spare you the tale. I sold a bunch of these a few years ago, but I still have several hundred left. A winter project for me is to find new homes for these tubes and my tube tester. I spent most of yesterday testing the first batch and several hours today listing them on eBay. IT IS FRIGGIN' TEDIOUS. I've had enough of this for today....if the damned drizzle would stop I'd like to get out for a ride!

IMG_3107
Nice Hickok 600A tube tester! For all you audio, vacuum tube, vinyl, and a small extent, guitar guys, check out Audiokarma.org, THE best vintage audio site on the web. Like bike Forums, they have a slew of subforums for every type of audio and fun hobby. they also have a nice buying and selling forum for paid subscribers called Barter Town if that’s your interest. Yes, I’m an enabler!

Originally Posted by jimmuller
I have only about 3500 miles so far on the Cayman (officially named 718 Cayman), but I'm lovin' it. The car mags complained about the engine exhaust sound because it's only a 4-cylinder. It sounds like a baritone singer instead of a tenor but boy can it belt out a tune. When it sings the song stays sung. Of course it is turbo-charged. I've had opportunity to bury the gas pedal only once, and that gets up to notice-me-ticket-me speeds real quick. The coupe body is tight as a drum, and the mid-engine handling is superb. I will be sorry to have to park it when the snow flies.
Very very nice! Do you also belong to Porsche Club of America? A great place to meet like minded Porsche people and have a great time socially, technically, and even track and rally related. Go to PCA.org for more info and your local region affiliate.

Old 12-04-18, 05:22 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Totally worth it. I've been singing in ensembles continuously since I was nine. That's devotion!
Come on, Tom, we know you take a break to ride a bicycle every so often.
Old 12-04-18, 06:46 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

I hunt up 78 rpm records locally. It's not an expensive hobby; these were a quarter apiece. All from the last calendar year.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-04-18, 10:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I'm an IT guy by profession, and I haven't tinkered with computers at home for a while, but I've taken it back up recently. I've built a Synology server and have been loading our music CDs into it. With Plex software, the server lets us stream our music to our phones or whatever, wherever we are on the planet. It's like our own Spotify server but with our private music collection.

I plan to use the server also for photo and sheet music archives. My wife has entire file cabinets full of sheet music that she wants digitized. It would be nice to be able to bring them up on her giant ipad whenever and wherever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-04-18, 07:57 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone

I hunt up 78 rpm records locally. It's not an expensive hobby; these were a quarter apiece. All from the last calendar year.
I find the Paramount Records company from Port Washington WI so interesting... When I was a kid, my band had a practice studio in Grafton. Grafton is a pretty small town. Anyway- our studio was in what had been an old recording studio- nothing big, nothing fancy- but it was in a turn of the century building behind/attached to a bar. I knew that Paramount had a studio in Grafton- so I had this idea that our studio was the old Paramount studios and that dozens of Mississippi Delta Blues legends had recorded the roots to rock music where we were writing our songs... I mean... how many recording studios could be in effin' Grafton WI... Apparently at least 2- I did find the address of the old Paramount Studio- and it wasn't our place.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-04-18, 08:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I find the Paramount Records company from Port Washington WI so interesting... When I was a kid, my band had a practice studio in Grafton. Grafton is a pretty small town. Anyway- our studio was in what had been an old recording studio- nothing big, nothing fancy- but it was in a turn of the century building behind/attached to a bar. I knew that Paramount had a studio in Grafton- so I had this idea that our studio was the old Paramount studios and that dozens of Mississippi Delta Blues legends had recorded the roots to rock music where we were writing our songs... I mean... how many recording studios could be in effin' Grafton WI... Apparently at least 2- I did find the address of the old Paramount Studio- and it wasn't our place.
OK- so I was just looking at the Google, cuz I couldn't remember where the Paramount studios was... so for whatever reason, I clicked on the images tab- and what do I see- the cutesy little fountain that was right outside our studio... and that little triangle is called Paramount Park- after the recording studios near there... Our studio was behind the red brick dentist office- you had to walk between the dentist office and the bar, and then behind the dentist office- and the entrance was on the building behind there... The bar was sufficiently ****tier 30 years ago...

https://www.ayresassociates.com/proj...ramount-plaza/

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-05-18, 07:41 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Interesting story, thanks! There's a great book called "Do Not Sell at Any Price" which details a woman's hunt for a Paramount record (she doesn't find any; she's hunting in the wild). She of course visits Grafton. At one point she dives in the river by the Paramount factory searching for them. Hangs out with a bunch of nuts who collect vintage 78s. Quite entertaining.

The Blind Blake above is one of the more common ones and it is still hard to find. I got it at a Goodwill Warehouse where they put out bins of stuff they can't/won't sell at the stores. They put out a bin with a big pile of about 30 78s; I bought the two blues ones above and a small pile of early string band stuff as well (Kessinger Brothers!). I at first read the Paramount as an early Columbia; the typeface on the labels is close enough, and once I realized it was pre-war blues I just grabbed it. About five minutes later, going through the pile to check for cracks, I realized what it was. I immediately sent a picture to a friend who is a more serious collector; he now hates me (j/k).

Odd aside: back in the early aughts IIRC, I knew Robert Crumb's ebay id. This was back when you could search a user's bidding history, and out of curiosity, I'd spy on it now and again. It was fascinating: him and about 3-4 other guys, always the same three or four, bidding up old 78s to astronomical levels. I imagine they all knew one another, and shared info/bickered amoung themselves.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-05-18, 10:44 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Actually the other way around, bicycles have been getting in the way of this, which is fine.

Got to get back to it, very cathartic in a cycling sort of way, nothing like dropping the hammer and wringing out a fully capable
instrument to a positive result, or not.

I wish I had my KZ1000 track bike still, I traded a really clean 87 Honda XL250R to a friend that had a 79 KZ1000 set up for the track, 6' wheelie bar which I removed and sold when I tried to make the KZ street legal. Motor was built up but never found out what was inside but I was running 29 smooth bore carbs, Electric shift and a aftermarket ignition. At one time it had NOS installed on it but most of it was removed when I got it. I loved the sound of the 4 into 1 header, you could here me over a mile away my friends tell me, they said they thought it was a couple of Harley's that were coming down the road but when they got close they realized it was my 1000 making all the noise as I was cranking on her coming back to my shop lol.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 12-05-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 10:50 AM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Wood working, and sound system building use to get in the way, and then I mashed them up with my bikes, and my main bicycle became a 125 pound monstrosity, this summer I built a trike that is probably much heavier, the cruiser uses five eight pound batteries, the trike uses a forty pound battery and two five pound batteries. I also took my '05 Schwinn Stingray and added a 66CC engine to it, and then every performance part you could possibly slap on it. Now that it is winter I am working on my home theater project, using a corner of my base for that, I thankfully have a garage to store my bikes in, but it has no power, so I use my bedroom as my woodshop, the closet is 8 feet wide, and 3 feet deep, so my bed is on the floor in their.
Old 12-05-18, 10:54 AM
rickrob 

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I'm an IT guy by profession, and I haven't tinkered with computers at home for a while, but I've taken it back up recently. I've built a Synology server and have been loading our music CDs into it. With Plex software, the server lets us stream our music to our phones or whatever, wherever we are on the planet. It's like our own Spotify server but with our private music collection.

I plan to use the server also for photo and sheet music archives. My wife has entire file cabinets full of sheet music that she wants digitized. It would be nice to be able to bring them up on her giant ipad whenever and wherever.
The Synology servers are nice. I have a RS815+ in my office with 24TB. We use it with Veeam for storage of VM backups.
Old 12-05-18, 12:34 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Before I got into bikes, old cars were my main hobby. But they require lots of space, time and money, all of which is limited in my case. I still have a weak spot for cars, though. Especially Alfa Romeos. This is currently my daily driver:

Old 12-05-18, 03:07 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Before I got into bikes, old cars were my main hobby. But they require lots of space, time and money, all of which is limited in my case. I still have a weak spot for cars, though. Especially Alfa Romeos. This is currently my daily driver:

Ooh, I like that!
Old 12-06-18, 11:24 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Mostly just golf for now. I put the car thing on the back burner when the kids came along, Fiat Spyder and Miata. Six more years until the youngest one graduates college and I'll be looking for an older convertible for the fun car.
Old 12-06-18, 04:18 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
photography, woodworking/woodturning, 3d printing and art(painting and drawing).
Old 12-06-18, 11:20 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Lovely Spider @non-fixie ! I've been a big fan of the 159 (sedan/saloon or wagon) since I first saw them. Between that and watching Top Gear back around 2007-2010 in automotive design school, it was a wonderful era, primarily of innocence in design as well as cars looking like where they came from. Today's stuff is so much more blended and upturned and try-hard that, to me, brands have lost their look (and a heritage/ethos). A Spider or a 159, to me as an American, immediately and loudly says "European" at the very least and "totally an Alfa" more than likely.

Old 12-07-18, 04:46 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Ooh, I like that!
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Lovely Spider @non-fixie ! (...)
Thanks! It is/was actually mrs non-fixie's car. But she has confiscated my Jeep WJ for horse box towing duty and general winter driving, so I make do with it. With its 3.0 V6 driving the front wheels it's more of a fast GT than a true sports car. But for a a front wheel drive car it handles well, and it's a a nice place to be in.

It is actually a nicer car for the daily commute than I expected. I'm not complaining.

Old 12-07-18, 05:29 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by non-fixie
It is actually a nicer car for the daily commute than I expected. I'm not complaining.

Commuting, yes. If that is as nice to sit in and drive as it appears, it would be nice indeed.

For my commuting these days I have a choice of these two:

- or -

The second pic was taken last year but could easily have been today.

Unfortunately when the first real snow falls I will be parking both of them.
Old 12-08-18, 05:11 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

For my commuting these days I have a choice of these two:

- or -

The second pic was taken last year but could easily have been today.

Unfortunately when the first real snow falls I will be parking both of them.
Your pics didn't make it across the pond, I'm afraid.

EDIT: they just arrived. Thanks.

Last edited by non-fixie; 12-08-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 12:58 PM
Soylent 

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
My latest sink hole

Broken teeth

The odyssey begins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.