Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aldi's Bike Stands on Sale

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 10:53 AM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced work stand, Aldi's stores (at least those in the metro Atlanta area) have their work stands on sale starting today for $24.99. Seems very sturdy and has a nice stable base.
Likes For richart:
Old 05-15-19, 11:37 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 12:01 PM
rebgen

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (retired), 2018 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Initially I was very skeptical that a stand that cheap would work well or be durable. That was three seasons ago. WRONG.

I have been very pleasantly surprised how excellent this stand has performed. I use it to service / maintain two heavier bikes and haven't had any problems. One of the better value bike-related purchases I've made. Have recommended it to several biking friends and all have been grateful for the heads-up.

Good luck
Likes For rebgen:
Old 05-15-19, 07:56 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
We finally got an Aldi's a couple years ago, and I love the place ! But, I'm pretty sure our little local store ain't gonna have any of these stands
But, I may be down there tomorrow, if they have them, at only $25, I'm gonna be real tempted !
Old 05-15-19, 09:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
I have bought 2 over the last couple years. You can't beat it for the price. I use my Feedback Pro for serious work, but on normal maintenance these work great.
Old 05-16-19, 08:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
We finally got an Aldi's a couple years ago, and I love the place ! But, I'm pretty sure our little local store ain't gonna have any of these stands
But, I may be down there tomorrow, if they have them, at only $25, I'm gonna be real tempted !
That’s what I thought would be the case here in RI. But I checked and the did carry them. I already had a Park stand so didn’t need/buy one. But I did see a nice floor pump there that I liked and picked it up for $10.00 U.S.

Dan
Old 05-16-19, 08:05 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
That’s what I thought would be the case here in RI. But I checked and the did carry them. I already had a Park stand so didn’t need/buy one. But I did see a nice floor pump there that I liked and picked it up for $10.00 U.S.

Dan
Cool, thanks ! I'm gonna be in town shortly, I'll swing by and take a look.. Might get lucky !
Old 05-16-19, 01:13 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Well, I ran by our Aldi's today, and went to the aisle I figured it would most likely be if they had it, and when I spotted the bicycle pumps (on sale for $12.95 !), I knew I was hot on the trail !!
Then lo & behold, I spot three bike stands, and on sale for $24.99 !!

"I love it when a plan comes together".
Old 05-16-19, 01:51 PM
civic04

Bikes: FX 2 Disc Stagger, jamis divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone knows the height of the clamp when fully extended, ground to clamp in inches
Old 05-16-19, 05:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I got an Aldi stand I think two years ago, for $35. There were many reports of stands not selling, and people picking them up for a clearance price of like $10, so keep an eye out for that too. $25 is already a great value, but for $10, pick one up for a friend.
Old 05-16-19, 06:15 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by civic04
does anyone knows the height of the clamp when fully extended, ground to clamp in inches
I just went to check my owners manual, but I managed to lose it already, LOL!!
But, I believe it does extend up to about eye level, so more than enough for any realistic need.
Old 05-16-19, 07:17 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I picked one up yesterday. The legs are wide but the thing is strong and sturdy. box says max is 66lbs, I put my mt bike in it with all the bags and stuff attached. I guess its about 45 lbs all loaded and it was great. didn't slip or anything. I have an Elite race stand I keep in the bike workshop in the basement of my house but always wanted one in the garage for other stuff and washing chores. And this one I can put the kids bikes and wifes step through on as well as my road, cross and mt bike in for basic tasks. this is defiantly worth the $25 I paid. I am actually tempted to get a spare just to have. I am happy with mine so far.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-16-19, 09:48 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Seems like a decent stand for $25! One thing to note, clamping the bike into the stand by the seat post is always a better option than the top tube. I made a video a while back with some tips to get the most out of a bike stand, as well as what features to look for when purchasing a bike repair stand:

Old 05-17-19, 08:12 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by richart
If anyone is looking for a reasonably priced work stand, Aldi's stores (at least those in the metro Atlanta area) have their work stands on sale starting today for $24.99. Seems very sturdy and has a nice stable base.
You can also try Lidl grocery stores. It looks to be the same stand with a different brand name. They only bring them in for a seasonal run but it is another source. I paid $30. or so and it has been a real find.
Old 05-18-19, 02:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Got one from a friend who bought several. It's much heavier and sturdier than I'd expected. She warned the handlebar stabilizer arm is a bit fragile but I'm not sure I'll even need it.
Old 05-18-19, 08:06 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I snagged the last one from our Aldi. they also had decent $10 saddle and top tube bags, which I also bought.

I already have a $100 Park stand, so that was more an impulse buy because it was a good deal. I like the quick release and the handlebar holder and tray included.

the downside compared to my Park stand:
- it can't be pushed against a wall due to the 5 legs (the Park one has 2 legs and can move all the way to the wall, where i store it). with my park stand i just slide it out from the wall and hang up my bike. This stand will require quite some space around, which i don't have in my garage.
- The turn-able clamp probably is more likely to slide or rotate on its own depending on weight distribution. I read some people put assembly past on the contact points.
- it probably will be less durable than the Park stand. But for a hobbyist it likely is fine

Overall I think it is worth like a $50 or $75 stand. So still a good deal. So if you don't have one yet and don't plan to become a professional bike repair person, this is a good deal.

I'm contemplating to return it, but will think about it more..... hard to justify owning 2 stands if you don't have a lot of space. But that is my personal problem, not a problem with the stand.
I'm contemplating returning it
Old 05-18-19, 11:04 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Just picked up the last one in the store yesterday. Have it assembled, put on the 30ish lb cruiser to work on it. Very impressed, especially when I only paid $25! I had figured worst case at least the clamp was worth it, but I am happy with the entire stand. Why oh why have I not had a decent stand instead of the hacked rigi had been using?
Old 05-18-19, 12:08 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Picked one up yesterday for the garage. It will be a lot easier than hauling the bikes to the basement or hauling the big stand to the garage.
Old 05-18-19, 02:13 PM
HerrKaLeun

I put my light hybrid on the stand and attached it at the seat tube. but the clamp would rotate, no matter how tight I made it. My park stand holds even my fatbike that way with no problem or fear.

I have a large frame bag, so attaching to top tube isn't practical.

Since I'm on the verge to return it, I didn't want to put assembly paste on to increase friction. And I think a stand should function without modifications. My hybrid may weigh half or even less than the stand is rated for.
Old 05-18-19, 02:39 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
These work great considering the price. They are not pro quality but they are completely functional for maintenance on normal bicycles. And hold up well too, decently sturdy. I have two of them from several years ago. Plus a pro-level stand, I use the two Aldi stands more often. They almost always have a bicycle up.
Old 05-18-19, 02:53 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Seems like a decent stand for $25! One thing to note, clamping the bike into the stand by the seat post is always a better option than the top tube. I made a video a while back with some tips to get the most out of a bike stand, as well as what features to look for when purchasing a bike repair stand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xRGvwuEusKQ

You need to get a better stand then. A stand with a grip clamp that would clamp the typical amount of seat post sticking out of many classic bicycles and many modern fit (compact frame) bicycles is too short to be used for the frame tubes and would be lacking in support. Clamps on the Aldi stand and my Pro stand are large enough they will not fit the seat post on my bicycles, especially those with Campy seat posts which have an oval or tapered section, and being large spread the working load over a sufficient area not to cause damage.

When clamping to the bicycle tubing, use a microfiber cloth between the bicycle and clamp to prevent damage to decals, make sure the clamp is positioned as close to a butted/junction area as possible where the tubing is thicker. The Aldi clamp and most stands I have seen with proper sized clamps for fixing to the tubing also have a relieved area for accommodating top tube routed external brake cables, so clearly they were intended for that purpose. I will say, clamping to the seat tube, where the seat post is within the tube, if you bend that, then you are doing something wrong and might want to stop doing that. A heavy section of tube, with a seat post inserted down in it, bend that, I do not think so. That would be my preferred clamping location.

It is completely acceptable to clamp to the tubing, you just have to apply some common sense. If one does not have common sense, all bets are off no matter where the bicycle is clamped.
Old 05-18-19, 07:07 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
2 left in Hackensack NJ @ $24.99.
Can't beat it for the price.
Old 05-20-19, 09:16 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
the downside compared to my Park stand:
- it can't be pushed against a wall due to the 5 legs (the Park one has 2 legs and can move all the way to the wall, where i store it). with my park stand i just slide it out from the wall and hang up my bike. This stand will require quite some space around, which i don't have in my garage.
I fold mine up and it takes up about a 6"-square footprint. And when I open it, I don't open it all the way, just enough so it's not tipping. So maybe the feet take up a 3' diameter circle? It takes a few extra seconds to open and close after and before use, but I feel like when it's put away it's pretty compact.
Old 05-20-19, 12:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I fold mine up and it takes up about a 6"-square footprint. And when I open it, I don't open it all the way, just enough so it's not tipping. So maybe the feet take up a 3' diameter circle? It takes a few extra seconds to open and close after and before use, but I feel like when it's put away it's pretty compact.
My stand has a fairly large tray with tools and supplies attached. So it wouldn't stand when folded up. Yes I noticed the Aldi stand can stand on its own on 10 square inches.

I ultimately returned mine since it isn't suitable to hold a bike level when on seat post. And I have my Park stand. I did like the quick release clamp and tool free adjustability my Park stand lacks.

Overall not bad for the money, but there are better options at higher cost.
Old 05-20-19, 12:37 PM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
the very wide legs are tripping hazard.

i like it at first, but after tripping a few times...i disliked it.
The leg angle is easily adjusted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.