Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rims: Hed Belgum + or Boyd Altamond Light

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rims: Hed Belgum + or Boyd Altamond Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-19, 06:00 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
THat's the compelling argument for the HED set up. Light weight in a tough rim at about half the price of carbon from name brand carbon rims. I have a couple of sets of carbon rims from Enve and Easton, and it's just hard to beat this set up - if you do the bladed spokes and quality hubs.
Just to clarify, I'm looking for personal experiences from anyone who has tried both the HED Belgium Plus and Boyd Altamont. It's really down to these two rims, which are close in weight, spec and price. I have a slight bias for the Boyd for cosmetic reasons (carbon black), and a shade less weight.

Carbon isn't really a consideration right now.

Last edited by Robert A; 09-01-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 08:10 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Just to clarify, I'm looking for personal experiences from anyone who has tried both the HED Belgium Plus and Boyd Altamont. It's really down to these two rims, which are close in weight, spec and price. I have a slight bias for the Boyd for cosmetic reasons (carbon black), and a shade less weight.

Carbon isn't really a consideration right now.
I guess that’s the point - I don’t consider 200-300g+ difference to be close in spec. If you think that is close, then buy on price or your favorite graphics.
Old 09-02-19, 12:20 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I guess that’s the point - I don’t consider 200-300g+ difference to be close in spec. If you think that is close, then buy on price or your favorite graphics.
If we're talking about the same rims, one is 465g, the other is 449g. I think the Boyd Altamont Lite is the lighter of the two by about 30g for the set.
Old 09-02-19, 12:37 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Chris King builds their own bearings which ar3 pretty much unmatched in quality and smoothness. Dtswiss uses enduro bearings which are the highest quality cartridge available. Bothe use a ratchet style freehub that provides better engagement and power transfer than WI 3 pawl freehub imo. I never understood the appeal other than the polished shell on WI hubs
“Dtswiss uses enduro bearings which are the highest quality cartridge available.”

Where do you get this from? From what I’ve heard, enduro makes some of the better bearings in the bike industry, but there are better bearings available from industrial companies like NTN and SKF.

Chris King and even DT Swiss to a much lesser extent use quite heavy seals and may not be the best choice for a fairweather rider who doesn’t mind swapping bearings at some point. Though of course, you can swap the bearings in the DT Swiss at any point.
Old 09-02-19, 01:31 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Finally, for your consideration:

Here's my chain stay clearance with 28mm Turbo Cottons and Kinlin XR22T wheels(24mm wide).
Little bit of flex and it'll be peeling the paint off the stay.
Add another MM for the Belgium and I don't think I would ride it that way. That's just asking for something to get stuck in there.
Haven't even checked the front yet.
If I ran Belgium+ for sure I would go back to 26mm tires. Maybe C2s?
Again, would be good to check the clearance on your ride.

I think you'll feel little difference between the two rims.
Ride the one that makes you happy.

You want a nicer ride? Blow some cash on some nice tires and tubes. Vittoria or Schwalbe with some latex inners should be nice.

Anyways, Good luck!
Old 09-02-19, 08:37 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
If we're talking about the same rims, one is 465g, the other is 449g. I think the Boyd Altamont Lite is the lighter of the two by about 30g for the set.
I was quoting their built weights for their wheel sets.

If memory serves, the last whee set Wheelbuilder built for me, the set weight was 1460 grams with the HED rims which I subsequently rode thru 30
mile rock gardens with fist sized rocks and then came home and set them back up with 25mm tires and they rolled fast and true on my road bike at same or better average times. They’re tough and light rims that I find impressive.
Old 09-02-19, 10:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
^This.

I have about 4 HED Belgium+ wheel sets laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs with Saphim X-ray bladed spokes and are all set up tubeless. My 28/28 set comes in at ~1400g. What always impresses me about this set up is how round they feel and how smooth they roll. We ride these in the mountains and we've beat them up riding gravel that is really more suited for MTB riding. They just keep on going with out complaint.

If you set them up road tubeless, they will come in around the weight of most general purpose carbon clincher rims but won't be as aero but they'll be about half the price or less of the name brand carbon wheels.

J.
This part much describes my experience with 240s too.
Old 09-04-19, 01:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
CK and DT240s=$700
WI T11 = $500

I've had CK and now go WI for my wheels. Been thinking about Alto though.
IMO CK is just over built. Fine I think for MTB where engagement is a must. T11 is pretty close, don't miss CK.
I'm also running DT350 which is the cheap version of the 240 and they okay.
You want weight weenie, there are lighter hubs than all of the above.
Sure, just seems like the OP was trying to go all out on a pair of aluminum rim brake wheels. We are really splitting hairs at this point between WI/DT/CK

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The King needs proprietary tools to service. The DT is a nice hub but the DT350 is just as nice as the 240 while costing much less....but you must pay for higher engagement on DT hubs as stock they only come with 18T drive rings (AKA 20 degrees of engagement).

It also needs noted that part of the appeal of White is it is MUSA and comes with a titanium FH body that will resist notching...unlike the aluminum that comes on King and DT last I knew. Also the Whites don't need proprietary tools to service.
The bearings are not MUSA, they just assemble in the US, which I don't really care about personally. Good point on the FH body although I never really have major problems with aluminum notching when the locking ring is torqued properly. DT350 is also a good choice at a slight weight penalty

Originally Posted by smashndash
“Dtswiss uses enduro bearings which are the highest quality cartridge available.”

Where do you get this from? From what I’ve heard, enduro makes some of the better bearings in the bike industry, but there are better bearings available from industrial companies like NTN and SKF.

Chris King and even DT Swiss to a much lesser extent use quite heavy seals and may not be the best choice for a fairweather rider who doesn’t mind swapping bearings at some point. Though of course, you can swap the bearings in the DT Swiss at any point.
I guess to me that is what I prioritize, lighter weight overall, bombproof, fast engagement, and easily rebuildable and reusable with all endcap variations. probaby the most common race hub we see around here at cyclocross races and they keep chugging along through rain/mud/watercrossings etc so I'm biased.

^This.

I have about 4 HED Belgium+ wheel sets laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs with Saphim X-ray bladed spokes and are all set up tubeless. My 28/28 set comes in at ~1400g. What always impresses me about this set up is how round they feel and how smooth they roll. We ride these in the mountains and we've beat them up riding gravel that is really more suited for MTB riding. They just keep on going with out complaint.

If you set them up road tubeless, they will come in around the weight of most general purpose carbon clincher rims but won't be as aero but they'll be about half the price or less of the name brand carbon wheels.

J.
Yea pretty much. My comments kinda blew up more than I expected them to and I realize people can be pretty passionate about their hub choices. For me DTSwiss does it all and have never failed me and is a pro tour quality hub that I consider a lifetime investment for a bike.