Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Old 09-27-19, 12:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
you can take your bike into the (Bedford) men's room at the station and don't need to lock it up. Great pit stop for me before the last 24 miles back to Nashua.
I know it well. used to think it was open year round, but last winter was disappointed to find out it isn't

what is your route to Nashua? from there I sometimes ride home in the Stow area
Old 09-27-19, 12:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I know it well. used to think it was open year round, but last winter was disappointed to find out it isn't

what is your route to Nashua? from there I sometimes ride home in the Stow area
Rte 4 to Middlesex Rd., becomes DW Hwy., at the NH border, Main St. into town.

Going south I take 3A out of NH because DW Hwy. going south out of NH is a cyclist's nightmare. There's a strategically located tilting stone wall that drives you into an impossible traffic lane.

I ride through Stow a bit on my way to Marlborough. If I go Nashua-> Marlborough-> Watertown (where my son lives->Nashua, it's exactly 100 miles.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-27-19 at 12:29 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-19, 06:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
The people I have encountered walking dogs have been responsible and usually pretty friendly. No problems here.
Old 09-29-19, 07:04 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Pretty much everyone I have encountered that has a dog with them, on an extendo-leash, reigns the dog in when they become aware of a bicycle approaching.
Old 09-29-19, 07:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Pretty much everyone I have encountered that has a dog with them, on an extendo-leash, reigns the dog in when they become aware of a bicycle approaching.
How? I thought the problem with the flexi leashes is that there is no way to retract the dog to you, unless your rip up your hands pulling on the wire? You either have to get the dog to run toward you, or you need to run toward the dog.
Old 09-29-19, 07:54 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
How? I thought the problem with the flexi leashes is that there is no way to retract the dog to you, unless your rip up your hands pulling on the wire? You either have to get the dog to run toward you, or you need to run toward the dog.
That's the way I see it done. The owner takes a couple strides toward the dog and locks the cable at that point, then pulls the dog with them to where they need to be.

Not everyone does that, of course.
Old 09-29-19, 09:18 AM
02Giant 

I don't know how the leashes work, and would never own one. But, in what ever form they work in combination with the walker calling the dog back to themselves, they find a way to control the animal.
Old 09-29-19, 09:25 AM
02Giant 

My rant about extendo-leashes, they have no place on public sidewalks, MUPs, etc.

My dogs are trained from the start to be by my side when out walking. I have a 4' leash, one end in one hand, my other hand is on the leash at a comfortable distance for the dog to walk along side. If the dog pulls, we stop, they sit, then we proceed. The dog will catch on really quick that they are not in control.
Old 09-29-19, 10:07 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I used to have a problem. There was this one dalmation puppy that wasn't on a leash. The dalmation would not only run after me but jump ahead almost in front of my front wheel. Obviously, I didn't want to run into the dog, nor could I steer away and bike off. All that time the owner would call out the dog's name as we were all the way up the trail. I could have kidnapped the dog and tied it somewhere.

After the third time, I wrote to the city to investigate. Didn't see the dog after that.

I don't have issues with any other dog. The big dogs, like dobermans and golden retrievers are well behaved. The small dogs bark at everything. Most of the time, I would slow down and steer my way as far to the other side as possible while owners hold their dogs down. And when I pass, I smile and say "Thank you."

Only one time was the owner sort of nasty to me stating something like, 'He's not gonna bite'. But how would any stranger know that?

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-29-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 09:51 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

This is a regular scenario for me, but this picture highlights other issues too.

For one, dog walkers often fail to stick to the same side of the path as their dog. They may be on the correct side, but that's not much use when the dog is on the grass the other side, and subsequently the lead (if it's on one) is gating the entire path...
Thankfully here we don't have the centre line, we have additional scope for common sense, so She doesn't need to drag the dog over to the correct side - she can just step over to the dog's side.

Also here we see the woman on the right looking quite unimpressed. Can't say i blame her, the cyclist isn't giving her much room! Well there she may be aware of the dog, but sometimes that dog is an on-coming cyclist she may not be aware of... So i'm having to head toward either the pedestrian or the cyclist, and i've gotta make that decision based on what they can also see from their perspective.
Old 09-29-19, 10:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
We need a lightweight but effective wire/flexileash cutter mounted to the front of our bikes like they did during WW2 on some motorcycles and/or jeeps so the rider/driver wouldn't be clotheslined. I had a very nasty tumble once when I ran into one of those very thin dark colour flexileashes that had a woman at one end and her dog across the trail and in the bushes at the other end of the fully extended leash.

Cheers
Old 09-30-19, 02:06 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Another little problem: the brake on the lead is only engaged when the owner squeezes the brake lever. If he only holds the handle, the dog can wander till he comes to the end of the lead.
Old 09-30-19, 03:32 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
They work like a tape measure .... if the lines extended, the locks not on and and there's no resistance they retract the lead very quickly .... you become very adept at moving your arm behind you with the lock on pulling the dog towards you, releasing the brake and very quickly moving the handle in the direction of the dog so a load more line gets retracted, quickly applying the brake and repeating the process several time s in very quick succession.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
We need a lightweight but effective wire/flexileash cutter mounted to the front of our bikes like they did during WW2 on some motorcycles and/or jeeps so the rider/driver wouldn't be clotheslined. I had a very nasty tumble once when I ran into one of those very thin dark colour flexileashes that had a woman at one end and her dog across the trail and in the bushes at the other end of the fully extended leash.

Cheers
Some people will walk their dogs on a flexi lead as a form of control possibly because they're likely to chase cyclists, runners or other dogs but they need a greater level of exercise than walking on a short lead provides .... you may find the result is you cut the lead and end up being chased and potentially the dog running under your wheels or being bitten ... not convinced that's the result you'd be hoping for .

Last edited by Witterings; 09-30-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 05:34 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
I was riding in my community yesterday and had a potentially serious issue. I came around a corner carrying enough momentum to get me up the far side of a steep hill.

A woman was walking her dog on a Flexi leash. She was on the left side of the road, her dog had the leash stretched across most of the road. The dog was moving toward my bike pulling out more leash. By the time I got to the point where the dog was I had about 1 foot of pavement to circumvent the ladies dog. The ladies husband grabbed the leash from her and stopped the dog before it got to my bike. I might have gone down in a tangle with the dog, leash & lady had he not stopped the dog.

I happen to be a “dog trainer” with a severe dislike of any kind of Flexi leash. The problem I have with that leash is they teach the dog to pull on leash. The “brake”, which is suppose to stop the dog, frequently does not work when needed. The thin nylon line often defies the brake, especially when the line is moving fast and you actually need it to work.Trying to grab the thin line often results in “a rope burn”.

‘The woman walking the dog tried to blame the incident on me which surprised me. She took the position that they could not hear me coming. She thought I should “ring a bell, sound a horn” constantly while riding. I think the law states that any dog less than 6’ from the owner is “out of control”

I am wondering if others have had similar incidents with dogs “walked” on Flexi leashes? I suggest that my clients walk their dog on a 4-6’ leather or fabric leash sturdy enough to actually stop the specific breed/size of dog.
It seems pretty obvious that you took the turn too fast, have dog/dog owner issues in general because you are a trainer, and you are blowing one incident way out of proportion.
Slow down next time
Old 09-30-19, 08:29 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It seems pretty obvious that you took the turn too fast, have dog/dog owner issues in general because you are a trainer, and you are blowing one incident way out of proportion.
Slow down next time
Old 09-30-19, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Slow down next time
Yes, obviously the OP is some kind of dog-handling fanatic. I mean, who among us doesn't encourage their dog to play in the road at a bend or string a thin, hard to see leash across nearly the entire width of the road?

If he managed not to get tangled up with the leash or the dog under those circumstances, I have no idea how you could fairly conclude he was going "too fast".

Oh, and "it seems pretty obvious" is a phrase containing two weasel words. If you have to use that many, it's not obvious at all.
Old 09-30-19, 11:05 AM
downhillmaster

Yes, obviously the OP is some kind of dog-handling fanatic. I mean, who among us doesn't encourage their dog to play in the road at a bend or string a thin, hard to see leash across nearly the entire width of the road?

If he managed not to get tangled up with the leash or the dog under those circumstances, I have no idea how you could fairly conclude he was going "too fast".

Oh, and "it seems pretty obvious" is a phrase containing two weasel words. If you have to use that many, it's not obvious at all.
It seems pretty obvious that you feel your interpretation of someone else’s account is irrefutable
Ohh, and I fairly concluded that he was going too fast because he made a point of stating that he was carrying enough momentum into the turn to make it up a hill. Pretty simple conclusion.
Btw Sherlock, how did you infer that the owner encouraged the dog to play in the road?
Encouraged?
Playing, and not just walking?
Good stuff lol.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 09-30-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 11:25 AM
redfishnc

Bikes: Univega Viva Tech 1050, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Haro Extreme

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
I hear you Pickle!
”One could do worse than being a swinger of birches”-more Robert Frost
I too have a professional field trial dog. I get what you are saying about training pressure. The flex leashes should be allowed on MUP. You would have to give them about 100' or more notice for them to get them reeled in. A dog that walks with one is training to be out front where they want to be.
Old 09-30-19, 11:38 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
They work like a tape measure .... if the lines extended, the locks not on and and there's no resistance they retract the lead very quickly .... you become very adept at moving your arm behind you with the lock on pulling the dog towards you, releasing the brake and very quickly moving the handle in the direction of the dog so a load more line gets retracted, quickly applying the brake and repeating the process several time s in very quick succession.

Some people will walk their dogs on a flexi lead as a form of control possibly because they're likely to chase cyclists, runners or other dogs but they need a greater level of exercise than walking on a short lead provides .... you may find the result is you cut the lead and end up being chased and potentially the dog running under your wheels or being bitten ... not convinced that's the result you'd be hoping for .
I can understand that. What irks me is when the flexileash is completely across the trail and the dog can NOT be seen by the approaching bicyclist and the darn leash is so thin as to be invisible and then you ride into and take a nasty tumble.

Cheers
Old 09-30-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It seems pretty obvious that you feel your interpretation of someone else’s account is irrefutable
Ohh, and I fairly concluded that he was going too fast because he made a point of stating that he was carrying enough momentum into the turn to make it up a hill. Pretty simple conclusion.
Btw Sherlock, how did you infer that the owner encouraged the dog to play in the road?
Encouraged?
Playing, and not just walking?
Good stuff lol.
So let me get this straight, you think that speeding up to go up a hill, rounding a corner slow enough to perceive and avoid a leash across the road (a circumstance I've never encountered anywhere) is abnormal dangerous behavior, but walking your dog across the street connected by a leash extending across that street is normal? Seriously?

Tell me, great Judge, what difference does it make whether the owner was encouraging the dog to play in the road vs. walk in the road? The dog shouldn't have been on the road out of the direct and instant control of the owner, and certainly the rope to hang the poor critter shouldn't have been draped on the road to be snagged by any passing vehicle.

I find it ironic that someone with the screen name "downhillmaster" would jump to a conclusion that someone who avoided an accident in a ludicrously dangerous situation with a non-obvious and completely unexpected hazard was going too fast. Those must be some pretty tiny downhills.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-19, 12:28 PM
downhillmaster

So let me get this straight, you think that speeding up to go up a hill, rounding a corner slow enough to perceive and avoid a leash across the road (a circumstance I've never encountered anywhere) is abnormal dangerous behavior, but walking your dog across the street connected by a leash extending across that street is normal? Seriously?

Tell me, great Judge, what difference does it make whether the owner was encouraging the dog to play in the road vs. walk in the road? The dog shouldn't have been on the road out of the direct and instant control of the owner, and certainly the rope to hang the poor critter shouldn't have been draped on the road to be snagged by any passing vehicle.

I find it ironic that someone with the screen name "downhillmaster" would jump to a conclusion that someone who avoided an accident in a ludicrously dangerous situation with a non-obvious and completely unexpected hazard was going too fast. Those must be some pretty tiny downhills.
Sorry bud but you can deflect all you want and it won’t change anything. You tried to make specific points and you couldn’t back them up.
Now it was a ‘ludicrously dangerous’ situation?
Great stufff. Keep it up as you are on a roll.
Either way I’m out.
You hang around though and argue it more. You already argued with one poster in this thread to the point that you said you put him on ignore.
You also apologized to another person in this thread after arguing with them lol.
Rock on Rambo
Old 09-30-19, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sorry bud but you can deflect all you want and it won’t change anything. You tried to make specific points and you couldn’t back them up.
Now it was a ‘ludicrously dangerous’ situation?
Great stufff. Keep it up as you are on a roll.
Either way I’m out.
You hang around though and argue it more. You already argued with one poster in this thread to the point that you said you put him on ignore.
You also apologized to another person in this thread after arguing with them lol.
Rock on Rambo
LOL! Talk about deflection! Maybe your screen name should be Deflecto because I don't think you've ever ridden on a hill..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-30-19, 01:13 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Well, did you give some warning? Bell? Voice? If you didn't, I'd agree with her.
I will always ring my bell when approaching dog walkers. Especially when approaching from behind, I will give advance warning as far away as I can.

Most laws, where there are any at all just specify "in control". I have a few I regularly encounter who are off leash, but the owner has such control as to direct it to sit from 20 yards away and the dog does. These well controlled dogs seem to mostly be hunting dogs.

But yes, I don't care for the retractable leashes the allow the line to span the trail as a tripwire.
Seems clear (based on OP story) that the owner was being silly in not controlling their dog. Besides, a properly trained dog and competent owner should not even need a leash.
Likes For m3tal070:
Old 09-30-19, 01:15 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Well, did you give some warning? Bell? Voice? If you didn't, I'd agree with her.
I will always ring my bell when approaching dog walkers. Especially when approaching from behind, I will give advance warning as far away as I can.

Most laws, where there are any at all just specify "in control". I have a few I regularly encounter who are off leash, but the owner has such control as to direct it to sit from 20 yards away and the dog does. These well controlled dogs seem to mostly be hunting dogs.

But yes, I don't care for the retractable leashes the allow the line to span the trail as a tripwire.
That ordinance applies only when riding on the sidewalk.
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Agreed. I have owned dogs, of various breeds, for most of my adult life.

Flexi-leashes are a nuisance and a bad dog walking tool.

Otherwise I have no problem with people walking their dog. It is good for the owner and it is good for the dog.
The problem is they're not walking the dog, the dog is walking them.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
The majority of dogs, partly due due to their dispositions and partly due to their training, will never be 100% "under control" via voice commands, or even tugging on a leash. However some dogs are extremely obedient, even under the most trying of conditions. These are mostly working dogs, with a lot of training, but occasionally a relatively untrained dog can exhibit these traits.

The problem is that everyone seems to think their own dog is one of these exceptional animals, but very few of them actually are. Dogs will be dogs, I worry more about the owners.
Dogs must be under control when it public. If you can't control them, keep them on private property away from the public. For the record, all dogs can be trained.
Originally Posted by kingston
If I made a list of the things other people do that annoy me, it would be a very long list. I try to be nice to people anyway.

I assume you weren't in a race. Just slow down, say hello and excuse me. Even the most oblivious of dog-walkers will reel in their dog so you can get by.
And what if he was in a race?

Maybe that works in Backwaterton, KS, but in the real world most of them will not reel in the dog. Besides, being "nice" works both ways, and in the case of the dog owner, that means keeping your dog at your side, where it belongs.
Old 09-30-19, 02:48 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
And what if he was in a race?
In that case I would not have any sympathy for someone who wandered onto a racecourse with their dog and got hit or yelled at by the bike racers.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Maybe that works in Backwaterton, KS, but in the real world most of them will not reel in the dog. Besides, being "nice" works both ways, and in the case of the dog owner, that means keeping your dog at your side, where it belongs.
Being nice to other people works everywhere. Yes there are bad dog walkers, as there are people who are bad at just about everything. Getting mad at them rarely improves their performance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.