Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

2018 Mac mini - 4K video

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

2018 Mac mini - 4K video

Old 10-07-19, 02:17 PM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: Cannonade Quick 4, Cannondale F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2018 Mac mini - 4K video

Various google searches haven't turned up anything useful so wondering if any of the good folks here can weigh in?

My current machine is a late 2012 2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini with 16GB RAM and 250GB SSD (plus external USB 3 SSDs). As I've started trying to edit some of the 4K60FPS footage from my iPhone in iMovie I'm finding that my Mac struggles to playback and even navigate the footage in the timeline.

I'm interested to know how the 2018 mini fairs with the same workload, do iMovie and 4K play nicely on the new machines? Any real world experience?
Old 10-08-19, 12:41 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
4k60fps! Good grief. Your just going to have to wait. Anything would be slow.
Old 10-08-19, 08:18 PM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
4k60fps! Good grief. Your just going to have to wait. Anything would be slow.
My iPhone 8 isn’t slow with the video it can record, and I believe the iPhone 11 Pro can handle simultaneous recording of two 4K videos, so I would hope that a 2018 Mac could handle it?
Old 10-09-19, 04:02 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7003 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 149 Posts
Just get a real computer.
Old 10-10-19, 07:46 AM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Just get a real computer.
I'll stick with seamless integration with the rest of my devices thanks!
Likes For chiefsilverback:
Old 10-10-19, 08:05 AM
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefsilverback View Post
...so seamless that you had to post this thread?
Old 10-10-19, 08:17 AM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
...so seamless that you had to post this thread?
The integration is seamless, I can film something on my iPhone whilst I'm on a ride, and by the time I get home and sit down in front of my Mac the footage is already sitting there ready to edit, no importing, no downloading, nada! Actually it's sitting there ready to edit on both my Macs, and my iPad, and I can watch it on any of the Apple TVs in my house. That's pretty seamless in my mind, and nothing to do with the fact that my 7 year old desktop isn't quite powerful enough to smoothly* edit 4K video.

*it can still handle the 4K footage, it's just jumpy and jerky in the timeline which makes frame-by-frame scrolling, and synchronising clips a bit difficult.
Old 10-10-19, 12:46 PM
genec
genec

Fine... don't use a "mini." It is not a "real" computer.
Old 10-10-19, 01:35 PM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fine... don't use a "mini." It is not a "real" computer.
I had a quick play on a demo 2018 MacBook Air as I was driving past Best Buy the other day, fired up iMovie and it had no problems with the sample 4K footage that Apple load on the machines. Based on their GeekBench scores, all versions of the 2018 mini are more powerful than the 2018 Air, and massively more powerful (more than 4x on the multi-core) than my 2012 mini.

At this point I think I'll order one, see if it performs well enough for my use, and return it if it doesn't.
Old 10-10-19, 05:36 PM
genec
genec

I had a quick play on a demo 2018 MacBook Air as I was driving past Best Buy the other day, fired up iMovie and it had no problems with the sample 4K footage that Apple load on the machines. Based on their GeekBench scores, all versions of the 2018 mini are more powerful than the 2018 Air, and massively more powerful (more than 4x on the multi-core) than my 2012 mini.

At this point I think I'll order one, see if it performs well enough for my use, and return it if it doesn't.
Try a pro, and quit playing with the toys...

Jeeze, like trying to use a "Surface" for CAD.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-10-19, 10:31 PM
genec
genec

Of course, if you want some REAL computing power... get a Hackintosh.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8...rade-community

Mazzarolo is right that there is a wide sect of Apple’s customer base is upset with the fact that it hasn’t updated the Mac Pro since 2013, and new MacBook Pros are both unupgradeable and have only USB-C ports to expand with. Last year, Apple went on a press tour to let the pro community know that the Mac Pro is not dead—but a new model hasn’t yet been announced. In response to this gap in the market, the Hackintosh community has thrived and the Mac Pro Upgrade community has risen.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-16-19, 09:46 AM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Mac was delivered the other day, i5, 6 core 3GHz, 8GB RAM. For a quick comparison, simply playing a 46 second clip of 4K60FPS on my 2012 mini has the VTDecoderXPCService using 150% CPU. The same clip on the new machine has that service utilising 3.4%.

I've got 32GB of RAM and a 1TB ThunderBolt 3 SSD turning up tomorrow which should hopefully set me up nicely for the next 7 years...
Old 10-16-19, 03:33 PM
genec
genec

New Mac was delivered the other day, i5, 6 core 3GHz, 8GB RAM. For a quick comparison, simply playing a 46 second clip of 4K60FPS on my 2012 mini has the VTDecoderXPCService using 150% CPU. The same clip on the new machine has that service utilising 3.4%.

I've got 32GB of RAM and a 1TB ThunderBolt 3 SSD turning up tomorrow which should hopefully set me up nicely for the next 7 years...
Finally, a REAL computer. Congratulations.
Old 10-16-19, 09:05 PM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally, a REAL computer. Congratulations.
Exactly, a 2018 Mac mini!
Old 10-17-19, 02:43 AM
genec
genec

Exactly, a 2018 Mac mini!
6 years newer, i7 vice i5 and probably much better GPU. And loads more memory... a real computer. Not that "toaster" you were trying to use. Radeon GPU?

Of course the irony is it has the same components as any PC... slightly different MB and BIOS, and a fruit label.

OS is vastly better. Windows is a virus.
Old 10-28-19, 06:57 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Try a pro, and quit playing with the toys...

Jeeze, like trying to use a "Surface" for CAD.
Or using a Netbook PC for heavy audio processing workflow. A Workstation class machine with a FirePro or a Quadro gets it done. Dell Precision anyone? Sometimes tools instead of toys are necessary. Big difference between rendering power, and content consumption power.
Old 11-02-19, 12:00 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry to be a bit late to the party. The MacMini always gets a lot of hate, but it's pretty good considering its targeted toward the entry user who don't need a lot of power or people who are recent Mac converts or want a Mac for specialized tasks that don't require a lot of power (i.e. running specialized Mac software.)

With that said, I've had fond experiences with MacMinis. My first taste of Mac OS X was on the original 2005 MacMini G4, which I used at an internship back in high school. It was waaay faster than the equally-ancient IBM ThinkCentre Pentium 4 that I originally used there. At the same time, the hard drive in my Windows 7 machine died. Instead of upgrading to Windows 8*, I persuaded my parents to try a Mac. So our first Mac - my first Mac - was a late 2014 MacMini. I did a lot with that machine: I edited a huge video project using iMovie, I did a lot of graphics work in Pixelmator (my first experience with a decent photo manipulation program - couldn't afford Adobe's CC or Photoshop at the time.) That machine did all of those tasks fairly well, despite being the lowest-end MacMini ($499, Intel Core i5 @ 1.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB mechanical hard drive.)

But for the reliability of that machine, it wasn't the best. Even when it was new it was having problems with it not wanting to turn on, etc. I should've taken it back to the Apple Store (which was 100 miles away) when it was still under warranty. I eventually purchased an early 2014 MacBook Air so that I could finally have a laptop - which was a great idea since later that year my monitor randomly died. The MacMini got so slow to the point where it'd take 30 minutes to boot into Mac OS. Now it doesn't even boot at all. Call me an Apple Sheep - but I actually don't let the reliability issues of that one computer hold me back. That MacBook Air has worked flawlessly since I purchased it. My iPad has also been really good. I'm looking at replacing my ThinkPad with a new MacBook Air or lower-end MacBook Pro sometime soon.

It was a really good move to switch to the Mac. I tried and tried teaching my dad (who never used a computer before) Windows 7, but he could never grasp it. He spends an hour on the Mac and could already check his email, browse the web, get on Facebook, etc.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I just don't like it when people constantly hate the MacMini, but rarely consider the target audience. (BTW, I'm not targeting anybody here. I'm just wanting to throw that out there...)

If you edit a lot of 4K video, it may not be a terrible idea to get an eGPU. The late 2018 MacMini has four Thunderbolt ports, which allows you to add an external GPU. When you edit video in FCPX or Premiere Pro, it will use the power of the eGPU to process much faster. Maybe not as fast as an internal GPU that you'd find in an iMac or upper-end MacBook Pro, but it's still a significant upgrade.

With that SSD, the upgraded memory and that processor you'll have a really decent setup with that eGPU.

Last edited by fullergarrett; 11-02-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 05:57 AM
chiefsilverback

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my third mini and I really like them. I’m not doing any serious 4K editing, just iPhone and GoPro footage in iMovie, but like I stated in my opening post my late 2012 struggled with playback. The new 2018 has no such issues. The TB3 SSD is amazing, 2000+MB/s speeds!

The only quirk so far is that my Photos library file appears to be twice the size it is. ‘Get Info’ on the library shows it at nearly 800GB, but it is only using 450GB on the drive!?!?!
Old 11-10-19, 01:46 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts
This is my third mini and I really like them. I’m not doing any serious 4K editing, just iPhone and GoPro footage in iMovie, but like I stated in my opening post my late 2012 struggled with playback. The new 2018 has no such issues. The TB3 SSD is amazing, 2000+MB/s speeds!

The only quirk so far is that my Photos library file appears to be twice the size it is. ‘Get Info’ on the library shows it at nearly 800GB, but it is only using 450GB on the drive!?!?!
That's may be usable storage since a portion of the drive is always left free. Anyway, that would store photos in the hundreds of thousands. Also, if you like Mac then spend the extra money and get a Mac. But you certainly don't need one to edit 4K.
Old 11-10-19, 07:07 AM
genec
genec

I wonder if it is possible you somehow copied/restored the files twice when you moved to the new machine?
Old 11-10-19, 09:16 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 137 Posts
I wonder if it is possible you somehow copied/restored the files twice when you moved to the new machine?
Without further information of how the files were copied and his cloning procedure its impossible to say. It could be in accessible or simply that he's not reading it right.