Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have $120,000 they're not using?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 05:18 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 383 Posts

Colnago C 35 Ferrari 24 Carat Gold Campagnolo C Record Prototype No 0005 | eBay
Old 08-01-16, 07:32 AM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pass the eye bleach...!

that frame is beyond hideous.

$120K...? please, put down the crack pipe...
Old 08-01-16, 07:46 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I think this was Colnago's first carbon monocoque frame that came out in 1989. Pretty high tech for back then. But probably, heavy and out of date for today. Price does seem over the top. But if there are not many made, then it could be difficult to get if you really wanted it. Would be curious as to how many of these were made.

Steel Vintage Bikes - Colnago C35 Classic Carbon Bicycle 1989
Old 08-01-16, 07:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Fork's bent. Also, those tires don't look rideable.
Old 08-01-16, 08:51 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
That hunk of wall art is at twice as expensive as every piece of wall/shelf art I've got in my house right now and all the bikes
Old 08-01-16, 10:08 AM
plodderslusk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Still very very expensive but a much nicer bike:
Old 08-01-16, 10:18 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Just thinking out loud - what will they do better for that $450 shipping cost above and beyond the normal price it should be? Maybe the extra is to insure such a large amount. That must be it.

Old 08-01-16, 11:55 AM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
It's only gold plated, not solid, price not warranted. Eye candy only, not practical in the least.
Old 08-01-16, 12:25 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
Just thinking out loud - what will they do better for that $450 shipping cost above and beyond the normal price it should be? Maybe the extra is to insure such a large amount. That must be it.
Just thinking out loud: it takes some large ones to ask for additional shipping on top of a $120k price tag. Heck, the auto makers don't even do that

I'll disagree with the rest of you, though, it has very nice aesthetics to my eyes! The price is undoubtedly paying for its history, though, not its true value.
Old 08-01-16, 12:56 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Oh right, good point. I knew there was a reason I should be angry somewhere in there.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Just thinking out loud: it takes some large ones to ask for additional shipping on top of a $120k price tag. Heck, the auto makers don't even do that :eek .
Old 08-01-16, 12:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
That hunk of wall art is at twice as expensive as every piece of wall/shelf art I've got in my house right now and all the bikes
I paid less for the house I'm living in!!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-01-16, 01:05 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I paid less for the house I'm living in!!
Damn, I hadn't thought about that. Definitely way more expensive than any house I grew up in. My parents actually paid less than that for their house ~3 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico! Really puts a purchase like this into perspective... OR it expresses the type of person who'd have the money to throw at it.
Old 08-01-16, 01:30 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Pfffft. The plating is flaking off of the front hub. I wouldn't give 'em more than ninety K.
Old 08-01-16, 01:34 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
I knew a guy with a bike shop in Novato (north of SF) who had a jeweler friend. He had one of the ubiquitous Campy small parts box that one associated with a "quality" shop back in the day. He sent out a bunch of barrel adjusters, screws, springs, etc. to his buddy to have them gold plated for maybe $40 total, then sold them for 4-5X the "standard" price. He had a hard time keeping them in stock.

But there was some rational for having some parts gold plated, since they wouldn't corrode no matter what the riding conditions were, and would remain adjustable for years on end.

I'm following @southpawboston 's lead, using gold plated mini-banana plugs for all of my electrical connectors wherever possible. Under $5 for 10 pairs.
Old 08-01-16, 01:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Are those straight gauge spokes on a $120K bike?

Originally Posted by himespau
Fork's bent. Also, those tires don't look rideable.
Tires appear to be old sewups. Air them up and they may be just fine. Or replace for modern tubulars.

Originally Posted by -holiday76
Many bikes/frames I've received for less than $100 shipping cost have come with damage.

For a $120K bike, the slightest scratch would be unacceptable. I'd expect wheels to be removed and shipped separately.

Then everything else needs to be bubble wrapped, then shipped in a huge box with lots of packing popcorn. I could imagine shipping the bike to arrive without any damage could be expensive. Plus, the insurance???

Originally Posted by FullGas
that frame is beyond hideous.
I think it looks nice. And, it makes me think the C40 and C50 frames were a step backward (although with a bit more classic lines).

But, unfortunately the bike isn't really configured to be ridden, putting in the category of display only. Maybe a bike shop will snag it. Is the gold plating deteriorating?

Do you think the seller would accept an offer of $1000?
Old 08-01-16, 01:57 PM
vtchuck

Bikes: Romic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I knew a guy with a bike shop in Novato (north of SF) who had a jeweler friend. He had one of the ubiquitous Campy small parts box that one associated with a "quality" shop back in the day. He sent out a bunch of barrel adjusters, screws, springs, etc. to his buddy to have them gold plated for maybe $40 total, then sold them for 4-5X the "standard" price. He had a hard time keeping them in stock.

But there was some rational for having some parts gold plated, since they wouldn't corrode no matter what the riding conditions were, and would remain adjustable for years on end.

I'm following @southpawboston 's lead, using gold plated mini-banana plugs for all of my electrical connectors wherever possible. Under $5 for 10 pairs.
I still have a pair of gold plated Campy Crank dust covers on my Falcon, received as a gift 35 or 40 years ago. I think chainring bolts, seat post bolts and maybe NR derailleur pivot bolts were also available.
Old 08-01-16, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
The gold plating on the hubs and stem just doesn't look flawless to me. It could be a photography artifact, but I'm wondering if it is thin plate and actually not in good condition.
Old 08-01-16, 03:03 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
$120K...? please, put down the crack pipe...
I second that quote.

Originally Posted by plodderslusk
Notice the bike with Bartali is not the same as the one in the ad? The saddle is different, the brake levers are different, the tires are different and the cables are different. I am not convinced they are the same size, but it could be camera angle that distorts the size.

So unless there is providence, it is just another gold plated bike that has been done a multitude of times.
Old 08-01-16, 04:28 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 905 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I second that quote.

Notice the bike with Bartali is not the same as the one in the ad? The saddle is different, the brake levers are different, the tires are different and the cables are different. I am not convinced they are the same size, but it could be camera angle that distorts the size.

So unless there is providence, it is just another gold plated bike that has been done a multitude of times.
The description says it's "one of the few replicas of the gift bike For Bartali's career".
Old 08-01-16, 06:26 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
The description says it's "one of the few replicas of the gift bike For Bartali's career".
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't read the description but don't you think the title is misleading?
"LUXURY Ernesto Colnago Gift for Gino Bartali 24K GOLD CAMPAGNOLO CRECORD DELTA"
Old 08-01-16, 06:50 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I wonder if there is a bike worth 120,000...maybe a never ridden bike built by the wright brothers?

I'd offer that guy 120,000...assuming the downtube was stuffed with 117,500 or so. He rejected my offer of $1100.
Old 08-01-16, 06:58 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I used to like Colnagos,....... till the mid 80's when they turned into over pimped out, boutique bikes...... And this one takes the cake!
Old 08-01-16, 07:20 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I used to like Colnagos,....... till the mid 80's when they turned into over pimped out, boutique bikes...... And this one takes the cake!
[/URL]
Old 08-02-16, 08:54 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Many bikes/frames I've received for less than $100 shipping cost have come with damage.

that sucks you've had crappy shippers. It shouldn't cost $450 to ship a bike without damage.
But maybe they plan to ship it in a wooden crate.

My guess is it still shows up thrown inside a reused bike box with zero protection. Ha

Old 08-02-16, 09:26 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are those straight gauge spokes on a $120K bike?

Tires appear to be old sewups. Air them up and they may be just fine. Or replace for modern tubulars.

For a $120K bike, the slightest scratch would be unacceptable. I'd expect wheels to be removed and shipped separately.

Then everything else needs to be bubble wrapped, then shipped in a huge box with lots of packing popcorn. I could imagine shipping the bike to arrive without any damage could be expensive. Plus, the insurance???

I think it looks nice. And, it makes me think the C40 and C50 frames were a step backward (although with a bit more classic lines).

But, unfortunately the bike isn't really configured to be ridden, putting in the category of display only. Maybe a bike shop will snag it. Is the gold plating deteriorating?

Do you think the seller would accept an offer of $1000?
It better be shipped in a wooden crate AFAIC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.