Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on hybrid pedals clips vs flat pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 08:07 AM
elkym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always ridden with mtb or bmx pedals-- big platforms,super grippy.

Thinking about making a compromise/switch possible.

Personal experiences with touring, bike packing, commuting, gravel/cx rides etc appreciated.

Considering the Crank Brothers Mallet pedal, or perhaps something similar.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...e-pedals-cb-m3

Please comment-- what are your favorite clips or hybrid pedals and why?

I usually ride in hiking boots, but if I had pedals with clips, I'd be willing to consider getting some stiffer shoes.
Old 09-27-18, 08:36 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I have Shimano PD-A530 on my commuter bike. I use the SPD side 90% of the time. I like them. I keep a pair of tennis shoes at work to change into when I arrive.

The only times I use the flat side are when 1) I'm towing my daughter on her tag along, 2) Short trip to a store, or 3) I'm meeting someone after work and I don't want to carry a second pair of shoes in my bag. It's nice to have the option to ride with regular shoes and no retention.

The flat sides of the pedals are not particularly grippy, but they work well enough. If I'm riding with "regular" shoes I consider it a take-it-easy day.

I've never used any of the pinned, mountain bike, platform pedals. I don't know if I would like them or not. I know I like being attached with the SPDs. For me it's not so much a matter of efficiency or getting more power to the crank. I just feel more secure with good foot retention.
Old 09-27-18, 09:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
it's fun to try new pedals but it's a whole thing man ... pedals, shoes, adjustments, new skills & possible pitfalls (literally) shoe hot spots cuz there are different stress points now that you're cleated in & more adjustments. all for what gain? fight the boredom? good enough reason for me, that's why I tried them. I won't wear them on tricky dirt trails tho, maybe some easy ones

for years my go to pedal situation was regular or flat pedals w/ 1/2 clips. they work with big shoes & winter boots as well, but with some modification. I like some foot retention

you can get cleated pedals that have cleats on just 1 side & like what you described on the other side. I like my FUNN Mambas. but for now, they are only for the road bike
Old 09-27-18, 09:49 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I used to use clipless but went back to flats.

DMR Vault pedals are the most comfortable pedals I've used:
https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/P...lt-2/Vault-NEW

Five Ten makes flat bike shoes used in mountain bike racing that have a special extra-grippy rubber on pedals with metal pins (like the drm vaults):
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT07.h...07_color=Black

You can find cheaper pedals, but in my experience they're not as comfortable.
You can use cheaper shoes, but they don't grip the pedal as well. Five Tens grip the pedal down, forward, and back like clipless do, only direction it's different is up.
Five Tens are very comfortable to walk around in off the bike, they're pretty much just skate shoes with a different kind of rubber.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-27-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-27-18, 10:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I prefer platforms for everything but dedicated sport riding. To me there is simply no advantage to being clipped in for most of the riding I do.

When I ride in the city, sometimes I have to stop or slow unexpectedly and in those circumstances I prefer not being clipped in. On multi surface rides I sometimes wander into stuff that's pretty technical and have to dab a foot on occasion. In those circumstances I prefer not being clipped in. I also spend time out of the saddle and walking on most of my rides and I prefer regular shoes for that.

It all comes down to what you see as advantages and disadvantages of being attached to your pedals for the kind of riding you envision. One last consideration. If you go with non two sided clipless pedals and drive to where you start your ride, you run the risk of leaving your cleated shoes at home. I have done that a few times.
Old 09-27-18, 12:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
Just recently I changed from clipless to platform pedals on my touring rig simply for convenience. Much easier to live with out on the road. I use BMX pedals with the removable pins. Often ride in sandals, too!
The road bike, which is used for daily workouts, has clipless on it as it does make a difference when riding hard. Of course the grocery getter cruiser has platform pedals. From where I sit clipless pedals are really useful when the need to extract performance from the pedal stroke is desired. For casual riding platforms are best.
Old 09-27-18, 12:33 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use clipless shoes because I do a fair amount of long rides. My bike is a true hybrid - a road bike converted to a flatbar setup. I love it when riding in traffic. I have dual pedals. I like having the flat side for getting started after stops at red lights - it's faster than trying get clipped in. Once I get going, I clip in. I've also used toe straps and I like them pretty well. I still have the biking shoes made for toe straps that I bought in the 1980s. Very comfortable to ride in and to walk in. Kinda stylish too. I don't use the toe straps anymore because I prefer clipless when riding on longer rides. I have SPD cleats and the shoes are okay for walking in, such as in a grocery store for example.
Old 09-27-18, 01:01 PM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Get flat pedals with pins. There is zero need for being clipped in unless you are doing very fast road riding, and even then it could be questionable.
Old 09-27-18, 02:08 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I think Mallets are over kill for a touring/gravel/whatever bike. Those are intended more for downhill mtn bike. If you still want a bit of a platform with crankbrothers one of the candy models would make more sense.

The brand is personal preference. Most people including myself just stick to whatever they first start with which is usually SPD, I started with Time and 10 years later still on Time.
Old 09-27-18, 03:15 PM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to use bear traps but figured my shins are scarred up enough at this point. That and there not necessary for my hybrid so I swapped my clips for shimano platforms, IMO one of the best all around pedal there is, but do still hurt when you slip a foot and bash a shin.

Ironically while making a sharp left to stay on course I dragged my left pedal ever so slightly and it caught a lip on a concrete sidewalk. The rest is a bit of a haze. Anyhow the insert shows what resulted. Going under the knife for surgery 1 in a couple days.

The shimanos are a good bit wider than the stock pedals but I blame myself not the pedals.
Old 09-27-18, 06:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack

I used to use bear traps but figured my shins are scarred up enough at this point. That and there not necessary for my hybrid so I swapped my clips for shimano platforms, IMO one of the best all around pedal there is, but do still hurt when you slip a foot and bash a shin.

Ironically while making a sharp left to stay on course I dragged my left pedal ever so slightly and it caught a lip on a concrete sidewalk. The rest is a bit of a haze. Anyhow the insert shows what resulted. Going under the knife for surgery 1 in a couple days.

The shimanos are a good bit wider than the stock pedals but I blame myself not the pedals.
Bset wishes for your surgery. Unfortunately I can relate.
Old 09-27-18, 08:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I use these SHIMANO PD-M647 Clipless Pedal with Outer Cage
Old 09-27-18, 09:41 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Went from SPD pedals to platform/spd. Finally removed the spd part. Just using flats and tired of flipping them to get the right side. Anything less then crits/tt racing, I cannot find a reason to clip in. Good flat pedals and gripping shoes make a grand combo!
No hot spots with a nice wide pedal. No slipping with the pins. Good rotation for my knees. Favorite combo has become Tevas with them. Comfortable, cool, walkable. I’m good!

Last edited by gorillimo; 09-27-18 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 01:04 AM
KraneXL

With the M647 you get to clip in either side (aka USB C), and with the width of an off-road platform for added support. Although to be honest, I've never ridden road clipless, so I wouldn't know if it mattered.
Old 09-28-18, 06:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Last year I put Shimano A530 dual pedals on my old hybrid bike, replacing standard platform pedals with plastic toe clips. I have a pair of SPD shoes I use for spin classes that I can use on that bike when riding alone on rides when I won't be doing much walking, or I can just ride in sneakers when biking with my wife or where there will be a lot of walking - has worked out great. On my road bike I have SPD-SL pedals.

I find I definitely prefer being attached to the pedals in one way or the other, especially when starting from a standstill on an incline or standing, but definitely overall, too. But, having that ability to walk like a normal human being during a ride is a major plus...
Old 09-28-18, 06:40 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Wellgo makes a big downhill platform pedal with pins on one side and SPD on the other, WAM D-10. Inexpensive, lightweight and near bulletproof.
Old 09-28-18, 07:13 AM
jitenshajin

Bikes: Far too many

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shimano PD-M647 is a good choice, if you don't mind a resin outer cage. Resin is the posh word for plastic. Although the plastic resin is quite durable.
Old 09-28-18, 07:16 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Chester Race Face's

No contest for me. It's all I want on any bike.

SUPER grippy. No slipping off by accident. But easy to move your foot when you want to.

Personally I hate clipless. I don't like being tied to the bike and I have a hard enough time finding decent sneakers that fit my square feet. I don't need another hassle with a different kind of shoes. But that's me.
Old 09-28-18, 01:34 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I went clipless. Found it helps my right leg stay straight when pedaling. Had many surgeries on it a few years ago and clipless just helps me.

Plus got tired of looking down at my leg and seeing lots of dry blood streaks when using the DMR's. Weird how I never felt it strike but see holes in my leg from the spikes on the pedal.
Old 09-28-18, 09:21 PM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Bset wishes for your surgery. Unfortunately I can relate.
thanks for the well wishes dude.

My surg was moved from monday to today, it seemed to have went well, much of the pain right after diminished after a nap. I'n not sure what kind of metal they used but I'll ask in 2 weeks. I will request to have it as a memento once its removed.

Sorry to go OT.

As far as clips go, personally they are an accident waiting to happen on a MTB or hybrid.

Last edited by backonblack; 09-28-18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 10:02 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
These are my favorite: https://www.rei.com/product/116154/shimano-xt-pd-t8000-spd-pedals. SPD clipless one side, decently sized platform the other. Very versatile.

My Race Face Chesters are my favorite non SPD pedals, they work well for 99% of my riding.
Old 09-28-18, 11:37 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have a pair of Shimanos that have SPD on one side and platform on the other (see pic below). I find them a pain in the keister to flip around and get to the "correct" side, especially from a stop.

Like a few other forum members, I've gone from platforms to SPD and am back to platforms again. I see no real advantage to being clipped into the bike. Others will no doubt carry on about how clipless pedals are the cat's meow, as I once did. I got tired of hot spots and my feet going numb. This no longer happens now that I'm back to platforms.

I really like the Shimano Saint MX80 pedals, but they have been discontinued. The Shimano GR500 is practically the same pedal with slightly more weight.

Shimano A530 Clipless/Platform Pedal:

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 09-28-18 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-29-18, 01:07 AM
KraneXL

thanks for the well wishes dude.

My surg was moved from monday to today, it seemed to have went well, much of the pain right after diminished after a nap. I'n not sure what kind of metal they used but I'll ask in 2 weeks. I will request to have it as a memento once its removed.

Sorry to go OT.

As far as clips go, personally they are an accident waiting to happen on a MTB or hybrid.
If that were true I'm pretty sure it would be well known by now.
Old 09-29-18, 03:06 PM
backonblack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
If that were true I'm pretty sure it would be well known by now.
Thats why I said personally. I ride aggressively and dont like the thought of my feet being tied to the pedals in a situation where I might need to plant a foot on the ground in a hairy situation. Had I been using clips during my accident it may of gone much worse. Just the sense of being tied to the bike while riding urks me.

Last edited by backonblack; 09-29-18 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-29-18, 10:40 PM
KraneXL

Thats why I said personally. I ride aggressively and dont like the thought of my feet being tied to the pedals in a situation where I might need to plant a foot on the ground in a hairy situation. Had I been using clips during my accident it may of gone much worse. Just the sense of being tied to the bike while riding urks me.
You're not "tied" to the pedals. In the event of an accident you would instinctively dislodge from the bike. That is an irrational conclusion that I suspect may be the result of a phobia of some sort. Nevertheless, I understand p phobias, and recognize that it is your decision to make.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.