Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seeing the truing stand gap easier

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 03:25 PM
Bicycle Guild

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a decent Park truing stand. It's got the white strip on the bottom and I stick paper or something white where I need the angle.
If I'm looking at vertical and horizontal truing, I'm gradually making finer adjustments with the wheel rim coming closer to the pieces on the stand. I wouldn't mind seeing that gap better though.
Question -- Is there any way to 'zoom in' or enlarge the visuals on that gap? but it seems like there's probably some way to make that gap easier to see.[/QUOTE]

Dial gauges. You can choose the level of accuracy which is effectively to make that gap easier to see. Yes you will spend $150 on a full kit and you will gain a lot in ease of use of the truing stand.

With more advanced training, you can reduce your labor time about 80% to be 1/18 and increase your wheel quality. Better acceleration, stays true longer, better handling characteristics.
The training is not hard to learn, the concepts are just not in the knowledge base of schools, books or on the internet. We have used fancy math (computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis) to understand how a rim works in a wheel structure. Then how to make it easier for mechanics to do more complex work in much less time. There is something new being taught.
Old 11-20-18, 09:12 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
So did you read the recent thread here? If so then did it register that it's not how many clicks on a dial that make a good wheel? It's the wheel's relative straightness and it's stability over the miles. Both arenot dependent on absolute straightness. Both are a result of the skill of the builder, not the fanciness of the tooling. Andy
Old 11-21-18, 04:52 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
So you created a new thread to quote the OP from another thread and respond? Maybe just respond to the original thread next time.
Old 11-21-18, 10:28 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I built a system with red Led's for less then $5 in parts ( a little more if you don't have the longer arms) which I posted in the other thread. Pictures don't do it justice, it makes a nice red line between the tip and the rim that is easy to see, you can build it with what ever color LED's you like but the red works for me. It requires no mods that can't be reversed to the stand.

Glenn