Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Got burgled today

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Got burgled today

Old 02-05-19, 04:55 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Got burgled today

This is one experience I have not had before. My wife and I were away from home on separate errands for 65 minutes. She returned shortly before I did and smelled cigarette smoke when she unlocked the back door. Since we don't smoke, she left the house and phoned me from our detached garage. I was driving and did not see the call until I arrived about 10 minutes later. At that point, I didn't need to listen to the message because I got it from her.

I went into the house and it reeked of tobacco smoke. I found some cigarette ashes at the base of the stairs and the master bedroom ransacked - went through the house and found no one. I did a lap around the house looking for an obvious entry point and found none. The second lap revealed that the front door had been jimmied and closed as the crook left. So we called the cops.

As it stands (we're still inventorying) we are missing a few thousand dollars worth of silver coins, jewelry, and a laptop. More annoying is that we have had our passports, SSS cards, marriage license, and other non-monetary papers stolen. The most annoying artifact is that our house still smells like cigarettes.

BTW: No bikes were harmed or stolen in this incident.
Old 02-05-19, 04:57 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this.
Old 02-05-19, 05:06 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Sorry to hear and hope the crooks get caught.

I have an ADT alarm as backup to my 2 pitbulls.

Last edited by malcala622; 02-05-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 05:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
The papers will be used to create new identification paper trails. Watch your credit reports. Fake identities and false tax returns on your number are a fact of life.

so sorry to read you have added this type of misery to your life experiences.
Old 02-05-19, 05:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Were there any cig butts around the house? Does the police do DNA on cig butts for home invasions?
Old 02-05-19, 05:22 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Extremely Unfortunate. Fortunate they were gone, an altercation would not be good. The good guys only win on TV.
The missing documents are the most unnerving. Time to place a credit freeze with all the agencies, and there is a service that will also monitor your house title. Don't want to have a thief take out a huge loan against your house.
Now I know why my wife has Three safe deposit boxes.
Old 02-05-19, 06:08 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would get some surveillance software to keep an eye on your stuff while you're gone. I use this open source program, it's free and it works great. Takes a short video clip whenever movement is detected and saves the clips for later viewing. I have it connected to a $20 webcam.

https://www.ispyconnect.com/

Supposedly you can have the program upload the saved video clips to the cloud, in case the computer itself is stolen, but I have not gotten that adventurous yet. I think if you have the program running on an old desktop computer sitting in the corner, it would likely go unnoticed, especially if the computer screen is locked, and the webcam reasonably well hidden.

I doubt people steal old desktop computers much these days, or that's my hope anyway. You can connect multiple webcams if you want, I love this software, it's the best freeware I have found in quite some time.
Old 02-05-19, 06:14 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Holy crap.
Old 02-05-19, 06:32 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Ugh, awful. So sorry to hear about this. I don’t have any advice to add, just glad you’re ok.
Old 02-05-19, 06:38 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
So sorry to hear, but glad you are all safe.

In addition to what others have said when things calm down talk with the local police and sheriff's office about there Neighborhood watch program. Then invite them to come into your neighborhood to set one up.

Sadly even if we live in an urban/suburban setting, we all seem to live alone these days. No one knows anyone they live next door to. This is a mistake. The greatest security isn't a security camera or security company, the greatest security is a community of people who know each other, each other's cars, kids cars and learn from law enforcement how to keep a watch on their neighborhood. Burglary and in general crime depends on no one noticing. That little blue "Neighborhood Watch" sign entering and leaving your neighborhood tells a criminal people are watching and there's a risk to canvassing and hitting this neighborhood. Also being part of a neighborhood watch takes away the sense of helplessness and empowers you and your neighbors.
Old 02-05-19, 06:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,930 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I would get some surveillance software to keep an eye on your stuff while you're gone. I use this open source program, it's free and it works great. Takes a short video clip whenever movement is detected and saves the clips for later viewing. I have it connected to a $20 webcam.

https://www.ispyconnect.com/

Supposedly you can have the program upload the saved video clips to the cloud, in case the computer itself is stolen, but I have not gotten that adventurous yet. I think if you have the program running on an old desktop computer sitting in the corner, it would likely go unnoticed, especially if the computer screen is locked, and the webcam reasonably well hidden.

I doubt people steal old desktop computers much these days, or that's my hope anyway. You can connect multiple webcams if you want, I love this software, it's the best freeware I have found in quite some time.
Be very, very cautious with any webcams. A good many are designed to send images off shore without you knowing and even if you think you've restricted the camera.
Old 02-05-19, 06:53 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I use IP cams and an open source app, "ZoneMinder", it's set up to email and text me based on criteria I've entered. I'm paranoid about privacy so I can speak to it's compliance on that - Us linux guys are paranoid by nature, and I'm a Linux pro. That said, ZoneMinder is pretty easy for the layman to set up. Main thing is what others have said above re your credit and identity. However, the intruders have seen what you have and you should take precautions against a repeat visit. I live in Memphis - I've had three burglary attempts on my house in the 15 years I've lived here, and I live in a nice neighborhood. Combination of a monitored alarm system, very good locks and cam surveillance has made the difference, and I get an insurance rate break due to all of that.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 02-05-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 07:00 PM
Gary64

Bikes: 2005 Trek 7.5fx,2015 Trek domane 2,2008 Gary Fisher hi fi deluxe,1985 Miyata 610,1981 Trek 710

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear.Have to keep on alert for identity theft!
Old 02-05-19, 07:13 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Be very, very cautious with any webcams. A good many are designed to send images off shore without you knowing and even if you think you've restricted the camera.
Probably true, that's why I only use the program on computers not connected to the net. Which should work, unless someone placed a tiny cell phone in there to "phone home" and steal my video clips, which I kind of doubt would happen with such a cheap piece of hardware, but who knows. You can never be too paranoid these days, I suppose.
Old 02-05-19, 07:21 PM
xetaprime

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
So very sorry to hear that! My home was robbed years ago. I still have nightmares about people breaking in. Wishing you all the best.
Old 02-05-19, 08:29 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,930 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Probably true, that's why I only use the program on computers not connected to the net. Which should work, unless someone placed a tiny cell phone in there to "phone home" and steal my video clips, which I kind of doubt would happen with such a cheap piece of hardware, but who knows. You can never be too paranoid these days, I suppose.
LOL, well you can be but if your camera's are hardwired in and your off the net you should be safe.

Now excuse me while I go make a new tinfoil cap.
Old 02-05-19, 08:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,251 Posts
It's a real violation to have someone be in your house and steal valuables. So sorry this happened to you. Kudos to your wife for getting out of there to make the call.

Sounds like someone was watching you leave. Nothing worse than a thief.
Old 02-05-19, 08:56 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
So sorry, and I'm glad you're OK.

Hopefully you can get the credit stuff stopped- and hope you can recover your valuables.

Last year, or the year before, I was spraying for bugs outside- it was around dusk... The neighbor (a 6'6" big guy) from across the street says "hey, can I help you" and he's doing the full-on drill sergeant walk across the street- then he realized it was me... I watch out for my neighbors' packages, (I'll take them to the back door and send texts to them) and do keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-05-19, 10:29 PM
dmp
'84 and '09 Pinarellos

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Record Equipe rebuilt with Campy Chorus/ Record; 2009 Pinarello Paris/ Campy SR 11sp; Litespeed Tuscany w Campy SR 11 speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear this- thankfully you were not home and are safe. The best of luck to you in dealing with the missing documents. This is just horrible.
Old 02-05-19, 10:40 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
So sorry to hear, but glad you are all safe.

In addition to what others have said when things calm down talk with the local police and sheriff's office about there Neighborhood watch program. Then invite them to come into your neighborhood to set one up.

Sadly even if we live in an urban/suburban setting, we all seem to live alone these days. No one knows anyone they live next door to. This is a mistake. The greatest security isn't a security camera or security company, the greatest security is a community of people who know each other, each other's cars, kids cars and learn from law enforcement how to keep a watch on their neighborhood. Burglary and in general crime depends on no one noticing. That little blue "Neighborhood Watch" sign entering and leaving your neighborhood tells a criminal people are watching and there's a risk to canvassing and hitting this neighborhood. Also being part of a neighborhood watch takes away the sense of helplessness and empowers you and your neighbors.
Truth. I know most of my neighbors and they know me and my wife. Most of them are retirees so they look after the neighborhood.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-05-19, 11:17 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Were there any cig butts around the house? Does the police do DNA on cig butts for home invasions?
They can and should. I would look in the house and garage as well as outside the house for any butts.

The master bedroom is usually the focus point of a burglary, because that is where people are most likely to have valuables. The burglars want to get in and out fast, so they usually make a beeline right for the master. It's a good idea to consider storing valuable items in other areas of the house.
Old 02-06-19, 12:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
This has happened to me. It's an awful feeling to have your valuables taken and to have your sense of safety violated. It's the worst.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-06-19, 12:22 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hard to say what the police will/would/did do.

Several thousand dollars worth of items stolen. Plus apparently targeting identity theft. This could be part of a pretty serious crime spree.

But, "prints" may be tracked, but DNA may not be tracked for non-violent crimes. Gloves? Still, if any butts were left... they should be collected by the police.

I'm glad to hear that nobody was physically hurt. It sounds like you may have just missed the thief.

Leaving the house and calling you was probably appropriate. But your wife should have also called the police once she determined something was wrong and was afraid to enter the house herself.
Old 02-06-19, 01:35 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The papers will be used to create new identification paper trails. Watch your credit reports.
I would go further and suggest you freeze your credit files, if you haven't already done so. I think this is a pretty common feature of the credit reporting landscape since the Equifax snafu. In fact, such services might be required by law now.
Old 02-06-19, 10:34 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
But, "prints" may be tracked, but DNA may not be tracked for non-violent crimes. Gloves? Still, if any butts were left... they should be collected by the police.
Burglary is considered a pretty heavy crime. In most, if not all, states, homeowners are even justified in the law to use deadly physical force against a burglar in their dwelling. There's now a nationwide DNA database for convicted criminals (just like the fingerprint database) and there's always a good chance that somebody committing a burglary already has a criminal record. So if DNA is found at a crime scene, it can help find a suspect, as well as provide evidence at trial that the suspect was at the scene.

Additionally, since we are all living in a Big Brother universe, DNA 'services' (such as 23 and Me) provide access to law enforcement to search DNA results. This can allow for DNA hits on service-using relatives of a suspect, which can then be used to hunt down the subject.

About twenty years back, I came home from work and had a burglar still in the house, he broke out my back window to get away. He didn't get much, but trashed the house rifling through drawers and closets. It was a heavily raining day and the guy had hit at least six other houses in the neighborhood during the work day. He got arrested for shoplifting a few months later and admitted to doing burglaries too, the detectives drove him around and he pointed out all the houses he hit. The guy was a one man crime wave, all to buy drugs.

Since then, I've taken to leaving an old, broken laptop in an old laptop bag leaning against the TV cabinet, to provide an incentive to make a quick score and leave. Haven't gotten hit again though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.