Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

That's it. I'm moving to Amsterdam!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-18-19, 08:11 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 850 Posts

https://imgur.com/gallery/uJixr/comment/1587694509

^This!

This is how things should be.

This is the realistic, safe choice of mode of transportation we should all enjoy.

This is the respect which should be afforded to anyone who chooses to go by bike.

The rainbows and butterflies are just a bonus...

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 02-19-19 at 01:24 PM. Reason: GC compatible.
Old 02-18-19, 05:28 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Could you take me with you?
Old 02-18-19, 05:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Especially with the economy and political goings-on, the Netherlands has never looked so attractive.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-18-19, 05:49 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
The bikeway around New York is impressive.
Old 02-18-19, 08:04 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I visited Amsterdam once...my memory of it is pretty vague...I visited Amsterdam once...
Old 02-19-19, 06:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I visited Amsterdam once...my memory of it is pretty vague...I visited Amsterdam once...
Good thing you didn't visit three times like I did. I cannot remember why that's a good thing. Which is why that's a good thing.
Old 02-19-19, 06:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
The weed and hookers are just a bonus...
Get a good lock. Bike theft is rampant in the city. And if you ride elsewhere in the country I hope you like wind.
Old 02-19-19, 07:39 AM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Below sea level next to the ocean. What could go wrong?
Old 02-19-19, 08:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
They could legalize magic mushrooms next.
Old 02-19-19, 08:28 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo

Below sea level next to the ocean. What could go wrong?
Unlike us, they're prepared to deal with it.
Old 02-19-19, 08:46 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Oulu Finland does great bike paths too, but alas, no weed or hookers. Reindeer steaks, and various forms of salted preserved fish though... and the world air guitar contest are there though, so not a total loss.

And they DO have saunas.
Air Guitar World Championships takes place on August 21-23rd already for the 24th time!

National Championships start during the spring and entry for the Dark Horses' Qualifications (August 22nd in Oulu) will be opened in summer. Stay tuned for more info.
https://www.airguitarworldchampionships.com
Old 02-19-19, 08:57 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Ahh Finland. The depressed man's Netherlands. There was a great 60 Minutes piece on Finland many years back, but I'm sure most people who would be interested have already seen it.
Old 02-19-19, 12:32 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
https://imgur.com/gallery/uJixr/comment/1587694509

^This!

This is how things should be.

This is the respect which should be afforded to anyone who chooses to go by bike.

The weed and hookers are just a bonus...

If you get nearer to the weed and hookers it's more like this, with lots of tourists on rental bikes added who don't know the rules, the unwritten rules and often don't know how to ride either. Most 'coffeeshops' are for the tourists anyway, the Dutch smoke less pot than anybody else in the Western world. There's discussion about removing the window hookers too, it remains difficult to keep human traffickers from Eastern Europe out and it has become like a zoo due to overtourism. It used to be a nightlife area with lots of normal bars too, if you walked past the hookers on your way to the next bar you just wouldn't pay much attention and don't bother the girls as you're not interested in their services. With many tourists that decency isn't so obvious. When it comes to the dignity of the women and girls, it worse than it has been for 5 centuries. The whole area is suffering.

I think cycling in Amsterdam is fun, but it's not very cycling friendly, probably one the least cycling friendly places in the Netherlands. It's got a video game appeal to it because it's hectic but you can't just go anywhere as fast as you want like some shots of the infrastructure suggest.

Originally Posted by late
Unlike us, they're prepared to deal with it.
Yes, there is already climate change that is dealt with. But if sealevel rises more than a meter it can get very complicated. If a levee (outsmarted the censor there) is raised it gets much wider too, and the space is also needed for the water coming downhill from Switzerland, Germany and France. And a lot of the North Sea defence relies on the dunes, which are manipulated and managed but are still mostly natural.

Old 02-19-19, 01:16 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer

Yes, there is already climate change that is dealt with. But if sealevel rises more than a meter it can get very complicated. If a levee (outsmarted the censor there) is raised it gets much wider too, and the space is also needed for the water coming downhill from Switzerland, Germany and France. And a lot of the North Sea defence relies on the dunes, which are manipulated and managed but are still mostly natural.
If the sea goes up a meter, it will obliterate dozens of cities. It won't take a lot more to obliterate Manhattan, which would badly damage the American economy.
Old 02-19-19, 01:25 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Moved to General from Foo.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-19-19, 02:26 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The OP has only just discovered this about Amsterdam?

Several things in my experience as someone who has been there on several occasions.

The bike path situation, while looking grand, can result in serious downgrading of level quality. And if you want to ride on the road with a bike path running parallel to it, be prepared for really aggressive driving skills and attitudes towards someone not wanted on roads. The density of bike usage is so bad in some parts that, as some of the pictures illustrate, it is almost impossible to get anywhere with any level of efficiency. And the bike parking becomes intimidating on footpaths for ordinary pedestrians.

On the whole, the visit to Amsterdam was not something I particularly enjoyed as a bike rider, compared with a few other Netherland places once out of there.
Old 02-19-19, 04:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
They WILL enforce cycling speed limits.
Old 02-19-19, 04:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
The bikeway around New York is impressive.
The one on the west side of Manhattan along the Hudson River is lovely. It's now my favorite place to ride in NYC, and it was my commuting route in my two most recent jobs, so that was great. But it doesn't go around anything. The east side path is not complete, and it's in bad repair. There are long term plans to have a route that goes around the harbor, including the New Jersey site. That's good. And NY State wants to have a bike route from NYC to the Canadian border. We already have a bike route along the old Erie Canal, from Buffalo to Albany.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-19-19, 06:00 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Ah yes, the pasture is always greener on the other side of the fence...until you realize you're looking through green glasses. I've been to Amsterdam, have no desire to go back. Give me a ticket to Berlin any day!
Old 02-19-19, 06:20 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Get a good lock. Bike theft is rampant in the city.
I'm sure anyone who needs to lock their bike in the city will take the "beater".....
Old 02-19-19, 06:36 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The OP has only just discovered this about Amsterdam?

Several things in my experience as someone who has been there on several occasions.

The bike path situation, while looking grand, can result in serious downgrading of level quality. And if you want to ride on the road with a bike path running parallel to it, be prepared for really aggressive driving skills and attitudes towards someone not wanted on roads. The density of bike usage is so bad in some parts that, as some of the pictures illustrate, it is almost impossible to get anywhere with any level of efficiency. And the bike parking becomes intimidating on footpaths for ordinary pedestrians.

On the whole, the visit to Amsterdam was not something I particularly enjoyed as a bike rider, compared with a few other Netherland places once out of there.
So 32 kpm may want to ride here is so sorry?
Old 02-19-19, 07:00 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
No debate about helmets there.
Old 02-19-19, 07:04 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
My experience is when you have something really good...eventually it will be ruined by outside people finding out and moving in.
Of course, there are a fair number of posters in this thread -- and serious cyclists, what's more -- who have little to no desire to go back there. As far as I can tell, none are drug users. which seems to play a significant role in the visitor attendance based on my most recent observations in the city.
Originally Posted by Gyro
So 32 kpm may want to ride here is so sorry?
Maybe if you could find a decent way to express your English, we could understand exactly what you mean by kpm.

Last edited by Rowan; 02-19-19 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 07:09 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Of course, there are a fair number of posters in this thread -- and serious cyclists, what's more -- who have little to no desire to go back there. As far as I can tell, none are drug users. which seems to play a significant role in the visitor attendance based on my most recent observations in the city.

Maybe if you could find a decent way to expressed your English, we could understand exactly what you mean by kpm.
"Expressed" your English??
Old 02-19-19, 07:18 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts

Maybe if you could find a decent way to expressed your English, we could understand exactly what you mean by kpm.
Sorry for the typo km/h

Kilometers per Hour

that better? Or do you need more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.