Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nothing slows you down more than a guy with a map

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-30-19, 10:19 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts

On Sunday I was taking my usual loop through the East Bay town of Walnut Creek. I like to cross Ygnacio Valley Road at San Carlos and cruise through the neighborhoods. I'm pretty slow and the streets are wide and traffic very light, typical suburban area built in the 1950's. I know that because the swim club, Rancho San Miguel is celebrating their founding in 1959. A group of three riders passed me but then I soon caught up to them standing in the road looking at a map, they seemed to be deciding to turn left. I asked where they are going and got the reply "Diablo". My reply "you're going the wrong way". So I continued on, I could see the locally famous mountain straight ahead. After getting through the neighborhoods I came out on Walnut Ave and turned right heading up. Looking back to the left I could see those three riders. They came by and I said "told you so". I hope they had a nice ride but they could have done better and learned something by just looking around them and following the obvious route. I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun. Even worse is slavishly following some computerized route.
Old 07-30-19, 10:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
best to know where you are going and equally important is how to get home.

What aids you may need are rider dependent, and really unimportant.
Old 07-30-19, 10:25 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I wonder what it was that compelled you to inform them of their "error." I routinely ride to my wife's workplace for a lunch date-- the shortest route is just over 26 miles. But I might take 30, 40, or even 70 to get there.

How would you have responded if a complete stranger told you, out of nowhere, that you're "going the wrong way."
Old 07-30-19, 11:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
What's a map?
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-30-19, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
"You're going the wrong way" wasn't helpful. Good thing they were smart enough to have and consult a map. According to your description they were going the wrong way. Imagine if they didn't have a map.

When touring in unfamiliar territory I still prepare paper cue sheets. I call them my PGS: Paper Guidance System. The unit never needs charging.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-30-19, 12:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
What's a map?
As a former Wilderness Ranger, it's funny to see people 'kinda lost' and upset that there is no internet connection, or their battery expired.
Even funnier is people who expect directional signs to be posted in the Wilderness.

"Where's your map?" Always a Ranger's 1st question.

OK, back to cycling.
Old 07-30-19, 12:50 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I like maps...and charts...land or sea dependent.
Likes For Stormsedge:
Old 07-30-19, 02:39 PM
here hold my ha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Likes For here hold my ha:
Old 07-30-19, 03:14 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I can see things off in the distance right now, but I'm not sure I could determine a more efficient route to get to them by just continuing to navigate by line of sight as opposed to a map or guidance system of some sort. I'm no spring chicken but I do much better with my Garmin than anything.
Old 07-30-19, 03:22 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by literal trope
My guess would be envy.

The OP is trapped in the flatlands and inhabits the MUPs. He is unable to actually ride Diablo (a frisky climb that tops out at 3849’) and the bitterness associated with his limitations colored his response.
LOL, that cracked me up !!
Old 07-30-19, 04:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Living in the suburbs of a large metropolitan city I occasionally have to venture downtown somewhere, usually to pick up something I found in the classifieds, I try to plot out a route that avoids major arterial roads, and this always means there are dozens of turns into secondary and tertiary roads. As much as I can I try to commit the route to memory, but I, too, have a PGS, @indyfabz, that I have to consult from time to time to make sure I've made the right turns. It's not unusual that I might have made a wrong turn somewhere and have to stop to look at my directions.
Old 07-30-19, 04:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Similar situation in my locale. Madison is on a narrow isthmus between lakes, so the roads are not neatly laid out in a grid. And I just can't remember the geography for ****. Out of town, there are lots of winding roads due to rivers and hills, sometimes poorly marked. A couple weeks ago I took a wrong turn at roughly mile 35 with my daughter, roughly 90 degrees F in the shade. I wanted to be darn sure we knew where we were going, someone waiting for us at our destination. The cell phone came out. Upon arriving back home, there was my map, on the dinner table. Oops.

For longer rides, I usually print out a crude map that's good enough to recover from getting lost. I also find a compass to be helpful -- I consult it after every turn to confirm my bearings. It's a combination bell and compass that's typically found on kids bikes.
Old 07-30-19, 05:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked 3,442 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Even worse is slavishly following some computerized route.
I don't know about that, I like spending quality time with ridewithgps designing a cool route. Then while on the bike, a voice from the phone in my pocket tells me where to turn, leaving me to enjoy the ride.

Like this ride from last Saturday.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-30-19, 06:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Hey I still have a front handlebar bag with a map case. I take it on multi day tours so you know the map doesn't get wet if it rains.
Old 07-30-19, 11:46 PM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I know exactly where you are talking about and I’ll bet they were deciding because the “bike route” signs tell you to turn left when you can in fact go straight and still reach Walnut Ave. Not too dumb of them if they’re not familiar with the roads.
Likes For VRC:
Old 07-31-19, 12:08 AM
raffivegas

Bikes: Huffytoss Blackwater, Pure Fix OG Fixie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun.
I agree, however, it can get deadly really quickly in desert landscapes like Vegas, for example.
Old 07-31-19, 02:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I hope they had a nice ride but they could have done better and learned something by just looking around them and following the obvious route. I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun. Even worse is slavishly following some computerized route.
Some of us don't want to "follow the obvious route".
Old 07-31-19, 04:31 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun.
What’s the point of carrying a map if you’re not going to whip it out to irritate fellow riders from time to time?

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-31-19, 05:47 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't know about that, I like spending quality time with ridewithgps designing a cool route. Then while on the bike, a voice from the phone in my pocket tells me where to turn, leaving me to enjoy the ride.

Like this ride from last Saturday.
+1. If I’m riding in an unfamiliar place I use a combination of Strava, RWGPS and google street view to figure out where the locals ride. When we went to Girona I used the training routes from Robert Gesink and a couple others to plan our daily rides. Took us through some very obscure quiet paths (including a few gravel roads) that we’d have been unlikely to find without some advanced planning. I load it into my Garmin but it’s not that hard to keep the rough route in your head along with the key roads and turns. There’s usually 5+ riders so someone always has a map on their phone for backup.

If I see riders from out of town looking lost I’m inclined to stop and chat and direct them on the best route. The most direct route through a city is seldom optimal for cyclists.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-31-19, 01:51 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun. Even worse is slavishly following some computerized route.
Maps are so 1999.

You plan a route on ridewithgps.com selecting the most pleasant looking streets for riding, split it into 60 mile chunks so Garmin's bad software doesn't crash, download it to your GPS, and follow the turn directions when it beeps at you.

That avoids unpleasant surprises like a road that's smooth in Monterey county becoming a bone shaking lunar landscape crossing the San Benito county line.

Often the most obvious route is not the best.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-31-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 01:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Often the most obvious route is not the best.
Occam's Nail Clipper.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-19, 02:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
"I told you so" really wasn't necessary.

Its one thing to offer help and another to rub it in someone's face.

-Tim-
Old 07-31-19, 02:56 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by here hold my ha
You are spirit animal.

This is exactly what popped in my head when I read the OP
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-31-19, 06:24 PM
NewCyclist1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This post made me laugh thanks!
Old 08-01-19, 02:19 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
On Sunday I was taking my usual loop through the East Bay town of Walnut Creek. I like to cross Ygnacio Valley Road at San Carlos and cruise through the neighborhoods. I'm pretty slow and the streets are wide and traffic very light, typical suburban area built in the 1950's. I know that because the swim club, Rancho San Miguel is celebrating their founding in 1959. A group of three riders passed me but then I soon caught up to them standing in the road looking at a map, they seemed to be deciding to turn left. I asked where they are going and got the reply "Diablo". My reply "you're going the wrong way". So I continued on, I could see the locally famous mountain straight ahead. After getting through the neighborhoods I came out on Walnut Ave and turned right heading up. Looking back to the left I could see those three riders. They came by and I said "told you so". I hope they had a nice ride but they could have done better and learned something by just looking around them and following the obvious route. I'm a fan of keeping the map in my pocket and figuring it out on my own, it's way more fun. Even worse is slavishly following some computerized route.
So, at what point did they slow you down. Was it when you were "helping" them? Lol. Did you try to kick their bikes over too?

Maybe change the thread title to: Being an ******* to other riders will slow you down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.