Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2015 BMC SLR02 for $1000 a good buy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 05:26 PM
rkalak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm looking to get a new race bike and found a 2015 BMC SLR02 for $1000. Is this a good buy? I don't know much about BMCs so I'd appreciate any advice. Build is Ultegra with Dura-ace front mech and brakes.

If not this I'll most likely get a 2018 caad12. Which is the better option?
Old 09-25-19, 06:19 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I like the BMC bike but I have question why the miss-matched parts. Why is the front derailleur Dura Ace and the brakes? Just sounds weird. I am also leery of buying a used carbon fiber bike. Unless it is from someone you know, who can vouch for the integrity of the frame, I just wouldn't do it. You don't say if the Caad 12 is new or not but I would go for that one if it is.
Old 09-25-19, 07:23 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rkalak
I'm looking to get a new race bike and found a 2015 BMC SLR02 for $1000. Is this a good buy? I don't know much about BMCs so I'd appreciate any advice. Build is Ultegra with Dura-ace front mech and brakes.

If not this I'll most likely get a 2018 caad12. Which is the better option?
Yes I would say that is a good buy for a quality full carbon road bike with Ultegra and DA that is at most 4 years old!

Id say youre getting the much better value with the used BMC Slr02. The new Caad 12 will cost you at least $1600 or so, and likely come with 105 for that price.

If you are looking at a comparable mid range ultegra bike new, such as perhaps the Canyon Endurace CF SL (not slx), you are looking at $2800.
Old 09-26-19, 05:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Yes I would say that is a good buy for a quality full carbon road bike with Ultegra and DA that is at most 4 years old!

Id say youre getting the much better value with the used BMC Slr02. The new Caad 12 will cost you at least $1600 or so, and likely come with 105 for that price.

If you are looking at a comparable mid range ultegra bike new, such as perhaps the Canyon Endurace CF SL (not slx), you are looking at $2800.
just a calendar check.. the BMC could be at most 5yrs old (if 2020s now out).. the 2018 CAAD could be 2yrs old so I was presuming the Caad would be a used bike as well, and have a similar $1k price tag. IOW, is the question 5yr old BMC vs 2yr old Caad -- either for $1k ?
Old 09-26-19, 05:32 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
What's their MSRP? What does your local add website thinks (I'm referring to comparing the bike with similar ones that are being sold around your area)? Do YOU have any preference between the two? Do YOU have any preference between CF and Aluminum? Why is the bike equipped with a mix of Ultegra & DA?

Asking price is just one part of the equation.
Old 09-27-19, 02:01 AM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I like the BMC bike but I have question why the miss-matched parts. Why is the front derailleur Dura Ace and the brakes? Just sounds weird. I am also leery of buying a used carbon fiber bike. Unless it is from someone you know, who can vouch for the integrity of the frame, I just wouldn't do it. You don't say if the Caad 12 is new or not but I would go for that one if it is.
The bike doesn't come with cables (although seller has new ones), bar tape, or a chain. I'm assuming the seller has another bike and has retired the bmc, so spare parts (a mixture of ult and da) have been left for it. I'm going to be seeing the bike soon and will check for any mishaps in the cf. Is it possible for something to be wrong with the frame that isn't completely visible? I know how to do a thorough check of the frame - would it be a good decision in this case? The Caad is used as well and would be from TheProsCloset. $1500 bike with Ultegra (2018).

The CAAD I would get is from TheProsCloset. 2018 bike with ultegra for $1500. I am leaning towards the BMC as for now.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
just a calendar check.. the BMC could be at most 5yrs old (if 2020s now out).. the 2018 CAAD could be 2yrs old so I was presuming the Caad would be a used bike as well, and have a similar $1k price tag. IOW, is the question 5yr old BMC vs 2yr old Caad -- either for $1k ?
The CAAD is 2018 with Ultegra for $1500 from TheProsCloset. The BMC is local to me. Do you know if there have been any changes to the BMC frame from 2014-2017? I know the frames were the same and that carbon does wear down after a while, but I'm assuming those model year frames were manufactured the same?

Originally Posted by eduskator
What's their MSRP? What does your local add website thinks (I'm referring to comparing the bike with similar ones that are being sold around your area)? Do YOU have any preference between the two? Do YOU have any preference between CF and Aluminum? Why is the bike equipped with a mix of Ultegra & DA?

Asking price is just one part of the equation.
The BMC is listed at 1000 - I could probably get that down a bit. This is the only used BMC teamachine from this model cycle being sold in my area, otherwise there are several other carbon bikes of similar component makeup that are listed at much higher costs. I prefer the BMC considering it's cheaper and local and don't have a preference between carbon or aluminum. The bike doesn't come with cables (although seller has new ones), bar tape, or a chain. I'm assuming the seller has another bike and has retired the bmc, so spare parts (a mixture of ult and da) have been left for it.
Old 09-27-19, 04:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I've heard there are some issues with some BMC models with the seatpost clamp setup (not actually able to hold the seatpost from slipping).. I'd just check that area to ensure it works.
Old 09-27-19, 09:02 AM
maartendc

The bike doesn't come with cables (although seller has new ones), bar tape, or a chain. I'm assuming the seller has another bike and has retired the bmc, so spare parts (a mixture of ult and da) have been left for it. I'm going to be seeing the bike soon and will check for any mishaps in the cf. Is it possible for something to be wrong with the frame that isn't completely visible? I know how to do a thorough check of the frame - would it be a good decision in this case? The Caad is used as well and would be from TheProsCloset. $1500 bike with Ultegra (2018).

The CAAD is 2018 with Ultegra for $1500 from TheProsCloset. The BMC is local to me. Do you know if there have been any changes to the BMC frame from 2014-2017? I know the frames were the same and that carbon does wear down after a while, but I'm assuming those model year frames were manufactured the same?

The BMC is listed at 1000 - I could probably get that down a bit. This is the only used BMC teamachine from this model cycle being sold in my area, otherwise there are several other carbon bikes of similar component makeup that are listed at much higher costs. I prefer the BMC considering it's cheaper and local and don't have a preference between carbon or aluminum. The bike doesn't come with cables (although seller has new ones), bar tape, or a chain. I'm assuming the seller has another bike and has retired the bmc, so spare parts (a mixture of ult and da) have been left for it.
Well seeing as the BMC is local to you, and you feasibly could (and SHOULD) test ride it to see if it fits you, is comfortable, etc. I would go with that just for that reason alone. You can check the frame for defects visually, and by putting pressure on various areas and seeing if there is any weird creaks or cracking sounds. Also while test riding check for creaking sounds that could be coming from the frame. Carbon does NOT "degenerate" over time, that is a myth.

Not sure if BMC made any adjustments over time to the frame. They typically only make small incremental changes within the same model year over year, unless they completely redesign the frame. You could do some research online on this particular model.

Also considering the CAAD is $1500 versus only $1000, I'd say the BMC is way better value. Chain, bar tape, cables, etc. are cheap to buy. Just make sure you get decent groupset components (are the brakes, levers, etc. also Ultegra, or just the derailleurs?). Also consider what type of wheels the bike comes with, what type of handlebars, saddle, etc. These can be cheap or expensive components, depending on what you are getting. I would perhaps choose a CAAD with very good wheels over an SLR02 with cheapo wheels for example. (and a CAAD with expensive wheels could be lighter than the SLR02 with cheap wheels)

Good luck!
Old 09-27-19, 09:55 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Well seeing as the BMC is local to you, and you feasibly could (and SHOULD) test ride it
Without cables, chain, etc. It'll be difficult to test-ride. I'd be leery of a used carbon bike I couldn't test ride... Get the Caad12.
Old 09-27-19, 10:30 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Without cables, chain, etc. It'll be difficult to test-ride. I'd be leery of a used carbon bike I couldn't test ride... Get the Caad12.
True... you could always bring a chain though. As long as you ride on a quiet country road, the lack of brakes should be a big deal.. But you still could not test the gears, etc.

But yeah, kind of odd that the seller is not putting on a chain and cables to be able to sell it properly.
Old 09-27-19, 10:49 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
This would make me even more insistent on wanting a test ride. I took a chance once on a bike with flat tires and no pedals. Got it home and discovered the frame was cracked, something a test ride probably would have revealed. Seller of course ignored my request for a refund.
Old 09-27-19, 11:50 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
This would make me even more insistent on wanting a test ride. I took a chance once on a bike with flat tires and no pedals. Got it home and discovered the frame was cracked, something a test ride probably would have revealed. Seller of course ignored my request for a refund.
Yeah true, it is always a risk buying used. Then again, you are getting a bike that was close to $4000 new for $1000. So something has got to give.. If the bike was in tip top, ready to ride condition, he would probably be asking $1500 for it. You cannot have it both ways.

It all depends on your risk tolerance.. I bought a used BMC SLC01 carbon bike on Ebay sight unseen (apart from photos obviously), and it has been great, served me well the past 4 years so far. Although Ebay has buyer protections you can rely on if things go badly..

I'd say if you want the deal, bring a chain, slap that on, and ask the seller if you can take it around the block for 5 minutes. If all seems well, and if it fits you, buy it. If not, or if the seller doesn't want you to try it out, steer clear.
Old 09-27-19, 01:31 PM
eduskator

Lesson learned. Inspect items thoroughly before handing over money. I'm sorry to say, but I don't have any empathy towards that.

It's always a risk buying used, but there are a lot of wealthy people out there that are ''getting rid'' of their products. My bike was 10 months old when I bought it, and the 1st owner sold it to me for the equivalent of 3000$ above what he had paid. That's a lot of beer.
Old 09-27-19, 01:59 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

It should have been a clue, when on my way out after giving him his money, he was literally begging me to take several pairs of these old junk sew-up rims which I had no use for, and told him so. He simply would not let me leave without 'em.
Old 09-27-19, 10:05 PM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've heard there are some issues with some BMC models with the seatpost clamp setup (not actually able to hold the seatpost from slipping).. I'd just check that area to ensure it works.
Well seeing as the BMC is local to you, and you feasibly could (and SHOULD) test ride it to see if it fits you, is comfortable, etc. I would go with that just for that reason alone. You can check the frame for defects visually, and by putting pressure on various areas and seeing if there is any weird creaks or cracking sounds. Also while test riding check for creaking sounds that could be coming from the frame. Carbon does NOT "degenerate" over time, that is a myth.

Not sure if BMC made any adjustments over time to the frame. They typically only make small incremental changes within the same model year over year, unless they completely redesign the frame. You could do some research online on this particular model.

Also considering the CAAD is $1500 versus only $1000, I'd say the BMC is way better value. Chain, bar tape, cables, etc. are cheap to buy. Just make sure you get decent groupset components (are the brakes, levers, etc. also Ultegra, or just the derailleurs?). Also consider what type of wheels the bike comes with, what type of handlebars, saddle, etc. These can be cheap or expensive components, depending on what you are getting. I would perhaps choose a CAAD with very good wheels over an SLR02 with cheapo wheels for example. (and a CAAD with expensive wheels could be lighter than the SLR02 with cheap wheels)

Good luck!
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Originally Posted by eduskator
Lesson learned. Inspect items thoroughly before handing over money. I'm sorry to say, but I don't have any empathy towards that.

It's always a risk buying used, but there are a lot of wealthy people out there that are ''getting rid'' of their products. My bike was 10 months old when I bought it, and the 1st owner sold it to me for the equivalent of 3000$ above what he had paid. That's a lot of beer.

I ended up purchasing the BMC, The seller had several high end bikes and this one was sitting there. Ultegra shifters are ceramic bottom bracket are new. He gave me an extra stem, shifting/braking cables, a new chain, and swapped out the wheels for aluminum zipps. He races for one of the teams here in Austin and does the really popular weekly crits, so I'll be seeing him around as well. Overall very good experience for a purchase from craigslist. I bought a trek fuel ex 9.8 from craigslist a couple years ago and that experience was quite the opposite - frame cracked after a year or so (but it might have been my fault). Thank you all for the help!
Old 09-28-19, 09:09 AM
maartendc

I ended up purchasing the BMC, The seller had several high end bikes and this one was sitting there. Ultegra shifters are ceramic bottom bracket are new. He gave me an extra stem, shifting/braking cables, a new chain, and swapped out the wheels for aluminum zipps. He races for one of the teams here in Austin and does the really popular weekly crits, so I'll be seeing him around as well. Overall very good experience for a purchase from craigslist. I bought a trek fuel ex 9.8 from craigslist a couple years ago and that experience was quite the opposite - frame cracked after a year or so (but it might have been my fault). Thank you all for the help!
Nice, I hope you enjoy it!
Old 09-28-19, 12:47 PM
eduskator

Very nice! I hope you enjoy it. It's always nice to buy from someone who (seems to) knows his stuff. It has probably been well maintained, which is important.

Do you have any pictures by chance?
Old 09-28-19, 03:23 PM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm currently building/tuning it to my preference. I will post a picture here as soon as it's done
Old 09-28-19, 03:44 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I bought my SL02 in 2011, it's very fast, light, and extremely stiff. No problems with it, other than a bottom bracket "clunk", that some grease and a Shimano BB tool fixed. Frame has not asploded yet, so I consider myself fortunate.

Old 09-28-19, 04:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-28-19, 10:37 PM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh nice! I'm glad it has lasted so long. Surprisingly, mine has the same paintjob.
Old 10-07-19, 11:59 AM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ok the bike is done, but I don't have 10 posts, so hopefully this counts as one. I'll be back soon
Old 10-07-19, 06:46 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Have fun.
Old 10-07-19, 11:39 PM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh I will
Old 10-07-19, 11:41 PM
rkalak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here are some photos:

Likes For rkalak:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.