Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Liv Pique SX 2 vs Rocky Mountain Instinct C50

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-03-19, 10:17 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Hi. I'm looking for a mountain bike for Mrs. NoWhammies. I think we've narrowed it down to a Liv Pique SX 2 or a Rocky Mountain Instinct C50 alloy. Both bikes seem to fit the bill so I here I am, seeing what forum members might be able to add. Thank you.
Old 10-05-19, 06:50 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Of these two you have listed I would opt for the Rocky Mountain over the Liv. The Liv is 27.5 while the RC Instinct runs 29/27+ so to me having multiple wheel/tire size options is a huge win. The RC has slightly better fork. Also, I'm not a fan of Giant's proprietary components. I've actually never ridden or looked closely at a Rocky Mountain in person so I can't speak to that. My wife has a Liv full suspension bike. It serves her well but its heavy.
If your open to something else for the same price, I would consider the Juliana Joplin or Furtado. Santa Cruz makes great bikes and have an amazing warranty. Both these bikes have a solid build spec (no proprietary components). The Furtado has clearance for 2.8 tires. Pinkbike just posted a review also of the Tallboy (Joplin) which was great. Hope this helps.
https://www.julianabicycles.com/en-US/furtado
https://www.julianabicycles.com/en-US/joplin
Old 10-05-19, 02:26 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I agree that the 29 vs 27.5 is the biggest decision but in a different way. My wife is only 5’2” so 27.5 is much better for her both in terms of weight and maneuverability. She is also on the beginner side, so a better rider might be able to handle the 29/27+.
Old 10-06-19, 10:30 AM
NoWhammies

Thanks for the feedback. My wife took a couple bikes for a test ride on the weekend and decided a 27.5 is the wheel size for her. She is also on the beginner side (as am I) so an entry level bike might work best for her. Of course she is looking for a bike that she can grow in to as her skills develop too. Right now we're still in the looking phase. Someone suggested a Stumjumper so now that bike is on the radar too. But I think her heart is set on a Rocky Mountain. Plus their a local Canadian company

I'll let you know what the decision is.
Old 10-06-19, 10:02 PM
NoWhammies

Just to update the thread, Mrs. NoWhammies settled on the Pique SX 2. She took the bike for a ride and felt the bike just fit her better than anything else she'd ridden thus far. So Pique SX 2 it is. Now we just need to get out and go for a ride.
Old 10-09-19, 12:10 PM
Namnad510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good choice. Have fun!