Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

E-Bike Recommendation

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

E-Bike Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 08:24 AM
Ken S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-Bike Recommendation

I do this with a bit of a heavy heart (and fat butt)...
I'm 62 and started riding again a few years ago. We then moved to the Berkshires in Massachusetts. I can ride the rail trail around here, but getting on the roads is tough (lots of hills). As the rail trail can get boring I'd like to do more on the roads, but, frankly, I've learned I'm no longer up to the challenge of a couple of hours of fairly tough ascents. Even dropping down to the granny gear on my Bridgestone RB-2 or Trek DS 8.6. I'm a big guy and even in the best of shape, I'm carrying over 210lbs.

So, I'm considering going to an E-bike. What would you folks recommend I look at for a road/hybrid style bike (roads, maybe some gravel paths). I'd like something with a decent range (50 miles?) so I'm not having to worry about turning around too early on a nice day.

I'd prefer to stay away from carbon fiber, and would like something where I'll be able to get parts down the road.

I'm not looking cheap, but I'm also not going to be allowed to go crazy.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Ken S; 10-04-19 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 08:57 AM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Trek has a trade-up program and has just released a new line of ebikes called Allant+ with the latest gen 4 Bosch motors, either Performance Line CX (Class 1 20mph) or Performance Line Speed (Class 3 28mph), you can spec any of the Allant+ with the Performance speed upgrade, and 500wh powertube battery or options for a 625wh powertube or a second 500wh range boost battery on which you'll easily be able to go 50 miles at higher speeds. The other way is to get something lighter and more energy efficient like the Class 1 20mph Yamaha ebikes that also have a 500wh battery and an excellent 3-year transferrable warranty, the Wabash and YDX Torc models are suitable for trekking and get good range.

Last edited by Dewey101; 10-04-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 09:26 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
You can put a quality kit on one of your bikes or stick with a known brand like Trek. I think a lot of e-bike vendors will disappear and proprietary parts will be an issue in the future, so sticking with a bicycle brand that's been around for decades makes sense.
Old 10-04-19, 10:37 AM
Ken S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, we test rode a 2019 Verve+ and it was okay. However, Trek really failed on the placement of the braze-ons as the only spot for a water bottle was too close to the top tube to hold most bottles. I believe they fixed that on the 2020 models. I will give one of the Allant+s a ride when they get into stock at our LBS.

Originally Posted by Dewey101
Trek has a trade-up program and has just released a new line of ebikes called Allant+ with the latest gen 4 Bosch motors, either Performance Line CX (Class 1 20mph) or Performance Line Speed (Class 3 28mph), you can spec any of the Allant+ with the Performance speed upgrade, and 500wh powertube battery or options for a 625wh powertube or a second 500wh range boost battery on which you'll easily be able to go 50 miles at higher speeds. The other way is to get something lighter and more energy efficient like the Class 1 20mph Yamaha ebikes that also have a 500wh battery and an excellent 3-year transferrable warranty, the Wabash and YDX Torc models are suitable for trekking and get good range.
Old 10-04-19, 10:38 AM
Ken S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
You can put a quality kit on one of your bikes or stick with a known brand like Trek. I think a lot of e-bike vendors will disappear and proprietary parts will be an issue in the future, so sticking with a bicycle brand that's been around for decades makes sense.
Is there any kit you would recommend. I'd probably fit it onto the Trek DS I have if I can find one that would work well.
Old 10-04-19, 11:05 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Ken S
Is there any kit you would recommend. I'd probably fit it onto the Trek DS I have if I can find one that would work well.
Depends on what you need. If you will do a lot of climbing, go mid-drive. If mostly flat, you can get away with a hub motor. Any reputable kit company will be fine - Luna, Dillinger, Leeds, etc. If you're not handy enough to do it yourself, check with your local shops to see if they install and recommend a kit that they will then service. https://lunacycle.com/mid-drive-kits/
Old 10-04-19, 11:18 AM
Ken S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was mostly flat around here I'd stick with my current bikes. We're in the middle of the Berkshire mountains and outside of the rail trail even a short ride is going to mean at least 1,000 ft of climbing and some pretty steep little hills. When I was 30 I could eat the rides around here for lunch, but at 62 not so much.

Originally Posted by linberl
Depends on what you need. If you will do a lot of climbing, go mid-drive. If mostly flat, you can get away with a hub motor. Any reputable kit company will be fine - Luna, Dillinger, Leeds, etc. If you're not handy enough to do it yourself, check with your local shops to see if they install and recommend a kit that they will then service. https://lunacycle.com/mid-drive-kits/
Old 10-04-19, 03:30 PM
linberl

If it was mostly flat around here I'd stick with my current bikes. We're in the middle of the Berkshire mountains and outside of the rail trail even a short ride is going to mean at least 1,000 ft of climbing and some pretty steep little hills. When I was 30 I could eat the rides around here for lunch, but at 62 not so much.
Lol, I feel you, and it's not going to get better, if you're lucky it will just not deteriorate too much. Look at Luna's Bafang mid-drive. They have one that is an easy install for non-techies and one that is a less refined kit where you can pick and choose your parts. A good mid-drive will be perfect for you. And Bafang will be around so you won't have to worry about parts and stuff in the future.
Old 10-05-19, 08:08 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Another advantage of the mid drive is that you will get exercise that is more like riding an unplugged bike than you will on a hub drive. The Bosch mid drive in EMTB mode will sense the torque on the crank and multiple the input. Versus just detecting cadence (i.e. crank rotating) and then engaging the motor. In another thread here a poster mentions he can tell ebike riders because of their slow cadence. Using a Bosch in EMTB mode would look like you were riding an unplugged bike. You don't get the slow cadence thing like on a hub drive.
Old 10-06-19, 07:43 PM
Oldoarsman

Bikes: 2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale conversion

I have a 2003 Cannondale Adventure 400 that my wife gave me for my 44th birthday. It’s a good hybrid with decent components, but usually the last of my three bicycles that I’d choose to ride. It’s a “jumbo” sized frame (I’m 6’5”), and fits me well.

During my fifties, years of sports and general wear caught up with me. My orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist, and I are on first name basis after multiple shoulder, knee, and foot surgeries/procedures.

About two months ago, I started looking into ebike conversions and decided to bring my Cannondale to my LBS for their opinion. Their suggestion was a Bafang 750w mid drive so I ordered the parts and had them complete the conversion. What a great upgrade and new life for an under appreciated bicycle!

I upgraded the tires to Schwalbe Energizer Plus, added a Brooks B17 Imperial saddle, and added shift and brake sensors to smooth out the power and braking transitions, and now it’s a great bike. The hills seem a lot flatter now.

I still enjoy riding my recumbent and sport/touring bicycles, and there’s no longer any dust accumulating on my Cannondale. Although the conversion came with a throttle, I just don’t use it. I ride using my eight gears and use the first two of five power assist levels to moderate the power to maintain a 70-80 cadence.

I expect we’ll be looking for a folding ebike for my wife in the next few months.

Last edited by Oldoarsman; 10-06-19 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-06-19, 08:16 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
Another advantage of the mid drive is that you will get exercise that is more like riding an unplugged bike than you will on a hub drive. The Bosch mid drive in EMTB mode will sense the torque on the crank and multiple the input. Versus just detecting cadence (i.e. crank rotating) and then engaging the motor. In another thread here a poster mentions he can tell ebike riders because of their slow cadence. Using a Bosch in EMTB mode would look like you were riding an unplugged bike. You don't get the slow cadence thing like on a hub drive.
fly makes a good point. We have two bikes, one has a torque sensor (mid drive) and the other a cadence sensor (hub drive). The first is much more like riding a traditional bike and power when you need it. The second is always in a power assist. Example: the second is a Rad Rover. In power mode 5, you simply turn the pedals and the bike goes 20 plus mph.
Old 10-07-19, 11:37 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
50 miles can be quite a bit of range, probably at least 800 watt-hours of battery required if you want to be assisted the entire way. How much assist did you want?
Old 10-07-19, 12:37 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, we test rode a 2019 Verve+ and it was okay. However, Trek really failed on the placement of the braze-ons as the only spot for a water bottle was too close to the top tube to hold most bottles. I believe they fixed that on the 2020 models. I will give one of the Allant+s a ride when they get into stock at our LBS.
I love my Trek Verve+. No problems with water bottle. The bottle cage is a flexible nylon Bontrager model. I'm riding a size medium. Front and rear lights are nice and make me feel safer. Price was right. No regrets.

Old 10-07-19, 04:19 PM
tatkins

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking for peddle assist or throttle?
Old 10-08-19, 05:15 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 2017 TREK LIFT +, a very basic bike, and I use mine for topping hills. It is pedal assist, Shimano Steps. I swapped out the tires for narrower, lighter weight, higher pressure ones, fitted a suspension seat post and Jones Loop bars on it. It has NO fittings for bottle cages, so I fitted a Topeak rack and bag where I carry several bottles of water, spare tube and tools.
Pedaling on flats and downhills on 4 - 5, 25 or so mile rides per week - I charge my battery about once a week.
Old 10-08-19, 11:13 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
My wife and I have BBS02 equipped e-MTB's, and keep the assist level low enough that we get plenty of exercise when we ride them even though they have RPM-assist (no torque sensor). My kit is four years old, was easy to install, has never given me any problems and can easily go 20 miles, 3,000' ascent on a four year old 52V, 10 ah battery. That said, you'll probably be delighted with any of the Specialized, Trek Haibike or Giant e-bikes.
Old 10-09-19, 08:49 AM
Ken S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of the recommendations.

I'm looking for pedal-assist - not a throttle. Basically, I want something that will take (most of) the pain out of the mountains and allow me to provide the majority of the power on the flats. b

I'm going to take a look at the Bafang add-ons.

I guess we're starting to see the 2020 models with what seem like some nice changes.
Old 10-09-19, 04:27 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
I'm looking for pedal-assist - not a throttle...I'm going to take a look at the Bafang add-ons.
Bafang mid-drives are all cadence pedal assist + throttle, you can run them without the throttle, another mid-drive kit motor that offers more bicycle-like torque pedal assist is the TSDZ2, see https://www.electricbike.com/tsdz2-7...orque-sensing/

Last edited by Dewey101; 10-09-19 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 08:05 AM
YuriyLogvin

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you have hilly terrains, go mid-drive. Motors of this type are mounted on a bike’s frame and connected to the wheel by the chain as in normal bikes.
Due to the metal gearbox, they're quite reliable. Plus, there is also no need to interfere with the design of the wheel when installing such a motor if you'll go DIY route.
Also, you're saving yourself a hassle when changing a tire. If you'll need to change the tire, it’s very easy to do, whereas, if you have a rear hub drive, you’ll have to disassemble quite a lot do perform such a basic operation.
Old 12-04-19, 07:21 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
50 miles can be quite a bit of range, probably at least 800 watt-hours of battery required if you want to be assisted the entire way. How much assist did you want?
Lots of variables in range. My wife can get 75 miles or more on her Verve+, but our routes are essentially flat and she rides it in the lowest-boost "Eco" mode almost all the time.
Old 12-08-19, 12:40 PM
Knute2019

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thread, thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-19, 01:10 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I rode a 50 miler/3000 ft. of climbing with 2 middle-aged women, each on 2018 Trek Verve. They had 50% battery left at the end - kept the bikes in low-assist except for hills. I was impressed with the bikes - good fit and finish, a name-brand 250W motor with a normal-sized chain ring that means you can pedal the (52#) bike without having to overcome the friction of a reduction gear (that you get with the more powerful Bosch motors).

For you at 210#, 50 hilly miles may be a bit much for a 400 Wh battery but the 250W (20 mph bike) Active Line motor is easier on the battery than the higher wattage motors (Bosch Performance line, CX, etc.). Ask your LBS what they think about your safe travel distance between charges. It's important to have local support for an ebike - and a name-brand bike and motor.

I looked at the Trek website and I think the 2020 Verve+ 2 is a good deal - Bosh motor, built-in front and rear lights, fenders, rear rack, kickstand, chain guard, suspension seatpost, adjustable stem. It's ready to roll in all kinds of weather - and for errands, appointments, commute to work, etc. All this for $2400!

If you want to go faster and farther, then the Trek Allant is a nice bike. I just can't see spending significantly more $$ than for the Verve.

The Bafang mid-mount motors look like fun if you are a tinkerer or have LBS support. But, you get what you pay for.