Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 09-27-09, 08:19 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
$300 for an entry level mid 80's ladies Peugeot?

https://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PURPLE-P...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-28-09, 12:57 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim

So ridiculous. Some people try to get away with murder. And I've seen these advertised plenty of times as "mixtes".
Old 09-28-09, 05:37 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
BE sure and get a bike with a Cromolic frame and fork.,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1395068027.html
Old 09-28-09, 06:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim

Somewhere there is a very happy seller.

I don't get it, but nobody made the bidder bid that much for it.

Old 09-28-09, 08:43 AM
Marrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Somewhere there is a very happy seller.

I don't get it, but nobody made the bidder bid that much for it.
Sold to someone with more dollars than sense.
Old 09-28-09, 08:45 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Antique Schwinn Classic Road Bike For Sale - $1800
--------------------------------------------
Up for sale is this awesome and classic antique Schwinn road bike.
The bike was made around 1920-25 and was at the cutting edge for those days. It is a size 21" and it's in very good to super good condition. A true classic, the components are all labeled Frederich Schwinn and everything is in good working order. You could go pound out a century ride if you wanted to.
It's that good, no rust at all anywhere except on the rims, hubs, chain and a couple of smaller spots on the frame. Leather seat in top condition. Been stored at my grandparents garage for years. This vintage bike will only be sold to "a good home". If you're looking to convert it into a fixie, pleae don't respond. Email for more pics. Thank you.

Old 09-28-09, 08:54 AM
takingcontrol
Mass Mover

Bikes: KHS XXL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I's there something odd about this geometry?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1396093940.html

I built this fixed gear from a vintage 10-speed Bianchi frame in great condition. The frame is either 47 cm or 49c m. It's great for a short lady (I am 5'3). Flip-flop hub, really nice MKS-GR--9 pedals, nice wheelset. I love this bike and have only ridden it for 10 months, but it's priced to sell because I'm moving cross country. $360 dollars or b/o.

Old 09-28-09, 09:18 AM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to tell with the perspective in the picture - it may be just that the stone the rear is on is actually higher than it looks. Either that or the front wheel is the wrong size.
Old 09-28-09, 05:42 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
Sold to someone with more dollars than sense.
I dunno. There was someone else within $5 of that dollar to sense ratio, so that's telling us something. Of course the fact that third place was a hundred down says something else. All that adds up to a split the difference calculations so I'd suggest the top bidders weren't more than fifty high.
Old 09-28-09, 08:50 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope I get $300 for my Peugeot when I decide to sell it someday.
Old 09-29-09, 05:08 AM
Bikedued

If you're going to claim an original price, don't forget to remove the MSRP from the bikepedia copy. Oops!!,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1397288967.html
Old 09-29-09, 05:10 AM
Bikedued

Another murdered out fixie gets the axe, hehe.,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1397219509.html
Old 09-29-09, 05:11 AM
Bikedued

This bike is starting to get reasonable finally. It started at $650 or some ridiculous price, back in 08?,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1397147843.html
Old 09-29-09, 09:24 AM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
don't buy the "stripped 70s road frame"
Old 09-29-09, 11:26 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Our local flipper/spammer extraordinaire/rant guru really has his finger on the pulse of cycling culture:

Fixed Gear Bike

Latest craze in bicycles The fixed Gear Bike known as a Fixie Check out this one at only 150 dollars call Scott 954 520 4666

Old 09-29-09, 11:51 AM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Our local flipper/spammer extraordinaire/rant guru really has his finger on the pulse of cycling culture:

Fixed Gear Bike
That makes my brain hurt.
Old 09-29-09, 11:56 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
Antique Schwinn Classic Road Bike For Sale - $1800
--------------------------------------------
Up for sale is this awesome and classic antique Schwinn road bike.
The bike was made around 1920-25 and was at the cutting edge for those days. It is a size 21" and it's in very good to super good condition. A true classic, the components are all labeled Frederich Schwinn and everything is in good working order. You could go pound out a century ride if you wanted to.
It's that good, no rust at all anywhere except on the rims, hubs, chain and a couple of smaller spots on the frame. Leather seat in top condition. Been stored at my grandparents garage for years. This vintage bike will only be sold to "a good home". If you're looking to convert it into a fixie, pleae don't respond. Email for more pics. Thank you.

No rust anywhere but EVERYWHERE!!!!
Old 09-29-09, 12:08 PM
dgrenthum

Bikes: 2010 Hardrock Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He has come down on the price by $100 over the last 3 weeks but come on.....

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bik/1389216964.html
THIS IS MY SPECIALIZED HARD ROCK (26'' TIRE SIZE) MOUNTAIN BIKE. $200
IT WAS STOLEN FROM MY APARTMENT COMPLEX AND LATER I FOUND IT WITH SOME DAMAGES.
THE PAINT OF THE BIKE IS SCRATCHED AND CHIPPED WHILE THE FRAME DOES NOT HAVE ANY DAMAGES TO ITS SHAPE.

THE GRIP SHIFTING HANDLES HAVE SOME DAMAGE BUT THEY FUNCTION PERFECTLY.

WHILE THE REAR BREAK NEEDS TO BE RE-ATTACHED ALL OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE BIKE WORK GREAT AND THE BIKE RIDES LIKE A DREAM.

THE TIRES ON THE BIKE ARE IN NEW CONDITION.
THE BIKE OFFERS 24 SPEEDS WITH SHIMANO GEAR SHIFTING SYSTEM AND ALSO COMES WITH "RS SUNTOUR" FRONT SHOCKS.

I AM GETTING MYSELF ANOTHER BIKE SO I WILL BE SELLING IT TO SOMEONE WHO CAN WORK ON IT AND GET IT IN PERFECT CONDITION.

THIS BIKE IS GREAT FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS A SERIOUS WORLD CLASS MOUNTAIN BIKE FOR A WAL-MART PRICE.

FRAMES FOR THIS GRADE OF MOUNTAIN BIKES ALONE WOULD EASILY COST OVER $400.
Old 09-29-09, 12:42 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 74 Posts
Not so much a FS ad as an amusing essay (though there is apparently a bike for sale):

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1398314087.html

Bike: An American Tale - $100 (Bridgeport)

Date: 2009-09-29, 1:25PM CDT
Reply to: sale-mq8zh-1398314087@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

In recent decades, Western culture has taken an increasingly critical stance towards the phenomenon of arranged marriage. In large part this stems from a rejection of patriarchal dominance, but there is another source of this antagonism: the incomprehensibility of the concept of two people who don't even know one another being forced to spend the rest of their lives together (this attitude persists even in spite of the fact that extensive research by romanceologists Sandra G. Bullock and Megary H. Ryan has demonstrated that two wildly incompatible people can fall in love, usually culminating in a madcap cross-town taxi, ferry, or horseback chase). If we are so loathe to marry people we do not know, how could we consider purchasing a bike we don't even know?
My bike--affectionately named Petunia--does not come from what most people would call a stable home, but that doesn't mean she's incapable of opening up to the right owner, with time and patience. Sometimes, you've got to risk everything, just to hold on to what you have. That saying is kind of irrelevant here though, since we're talking about a bike. And what a bike!
According to lazy internet research, Petunia was born to the Schwinn Bike Company as early as the 1970s, certainly the '80s. She was uncovered 1 and a half years ago in a large subterranean cavern by two youngsters who had separated from their larger gang of teens visiting an abandoned summer camp. Although Petunia had fallen into a state of disrepair, the youths were able to discern two wheel-like appendages, which she presumably used for locomotion, as well as two curved antlers projecting from her front, which either served as handlebars or as bait to attract small fish. They rushed it to a local bike-arium, where the resident bike-meister gave her two injections of new tires and tubes, 20 cc/s of derailleur cable, and generally cleaned it up. Five days later, he announced that the bike was in stable condition.
For the next several months, Petunia adjusted well to her new surroundings. Then on June 7, 2008, an event happened that it would change her life. According to eyewitness reports, Petunia and her rider visited a local drinking establishment. The weather prognosis indicated rain, but the two of them, drunk on Okocim and the recklessness of youth, foolhardily went for a joyride northwest up Milwaukee Ave. Here there is conflicting testimony, but investigators established that one 'mega-douchy taxi driver' in the Wicker Park area cut off the victim and its rider, causing the two of them to take evasive maneuvers. Contact with the taxi was averted, but an umbrella that had festively been rested on the handlebar of the bike became lodged in its wheel, causing Petunia to flip over. Emergency personnel were on the scene in moments.
For the next several months, the bike lay in a comatose state, irresponsive to attempts to ride it. In August, a local bike surgeon proposed an unorthodox and highly risky operation: a dual fork-and-front-wheel transplant. After a heated discussion between the bike's legal guardian and his ATM card, the operation was approved. For days, the world watched and waited: a week later, the operation was declared a success. The bike returned to the family it loved.
However, inside sources suggest the bike was never the same again. The bike doctors say physically it's ok, the problems are all up here (said while pointing towards my head).
Following her accident, Petunia began expressing the trauma of her experience through music. Due presumably to the accident, her brakes do that edgy shrieking thing that bike brakes are known to do. A few days ago, according to sources that asked to remain anonymous, a brand new spanking wheel made of aluminum or admantium or whatever was affixed to Petunia, such that now she's got totally new wheels and yeah so there. Theoretically Petunia has some 9 gears, but shifting is not as smooth as it was in her youth. But could any of us claim to shift that well with all those gears?
Petunia's private life has also continued to generate controversy. In late 2008, she was photographed outside a Chicago nightclub with awkward red bumps of tape on its handlebars after a heated tape exchange with its owner, fueling speculation that she was a victim of domestic clumsy handlebar-taping abuse. In 2009 Petunia again attracted media attention when she temporarily disappeared on what it described as a 'visit to R.E.I.' and returned conspicuously sporting a Planet Bike aluminum bike rack, with at least one tabloid insider suggesting it had undergone enhancement surgery.
Today Petunia lives in Bridgeport, where friends and neighbors say it frequently goes on trips to downtown, and has gone as far as Oak Park and Indiana. She is considering coming out of retirement for one last outrageous and daring biking scheme. But you'd have to make it worth her while, say, with $100.

(Pictures are forthcoming, but first I wanna make sure there aren't too many bike perverts who are going to print them off, blow them up, and sleep with them. That's what cutouts of characters from star trek are for, you sickos!)

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1398314087
Old 09-29-09, 06:57 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Man, I hope that brake cable doesn't get caught in the crank:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/1398893512.html
And hey, the seat's already been sold!

And the eighty bucks for a Huffy w/o a seat doesn't seem too outrageous... pricing here on the low end is just nuts.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-29-09, 08:27 PM
ZeRinger
Panasonic Nut

Bikes: 2000 Pinarello Paris | Panasonics: '88 DX-5000 / '88 DX-4000 / '88 MC-5500 (sold) / '86 Team America / '86 Team Japan (2) / '85 Team / '84 DX-4000 (sold) / '91 PR-6000 / '89 PICS Team Custom / '83 AR-6000 Aero / '89 DX-1000 / '89 Team MC Custom (sold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I've seen plenty of gas-pipe-ish Panasonic Sport 500 models listed as "racing bikes" but this one had me laughing out loud. Dry this stuff out and fertilize the lawn. ;-)

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/1397881980.html

"26 INCH PANASONIC VINTAGE 10 SPEED 500 SPORT. EXTRA SHARP ROAD BIKE RARE AND NICE, 165.00 OBO CHECK CRAIGS LIST YOU SEE THE ARE MOSTLY 200 and ABOVE FOR THE SAME BIKE AND MINE IS LIKE NEW I KNOW I AM CRAZY BUT I HAVE BEEN OFF WORK WITH A INJURY FOR 3 WEEKS SO I REALLY NEEED THE MONEY THIS WQAS A SPECIAL EDITION ROAD BIKE MADE IN JAPAN FOR A ROAD RACE IN THE LATEE 70's. YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO MAKE AN OFFER BUT LETS KEEP IT REASONABLE AS THIS IS HARD TO FIND AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION!!"

Special edition eh? I wonder what race they were made for? :-)
Old 09-29-09, 10:57 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Man, I hope that brake cable doesn't get caught in the crank:
https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/1398893512.html
And hey, the seat's already been sold!

And the eighty bucks for a Huffy w/o a seat doesn't seem too outrageous... pricing here on the low end is just nuts.
Yeah, noticed that when I was out there last month. Part of my routine when going somewhere is to check CL for the destination and along the route just in case something is listed that I can't live without.

After checking the richmond and charlottesville CL, I was seriously tempted to load up on some bikes before I left.

Planning another trip this winter, and I may do that this time.

Ken.
Old 09-30-09, 12:32 AM
melonbar123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Behold, a Varsity in disguise:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1399248799.html
Bike Porn! Fixed Gear 56cm Black and Green Beauty - $625 (mission district)

Date: 2009-09-29, 11:17PM PDT
Reply to: sale-9us22-1399248799@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

If the post is up then YES it's available. This setup gets compliments every time I take it out. It's in superb condition and built with quality components and care. I'm selling the complete bike for this price. It's a 56 cm vintage 70s frame. The paint job is a professional powder coating. It's black and it's beautiful. The wheelset has deep, neon green rims. I can also include neon green drop bars and toe clips (no extra cost) if you want those options. Email with questions. I am happy to send you several much larger photos of the bike. Here are thumbnails you can click for more pictures.

Old 09-30-09, 12:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by melonbar123
Behold, a Varsity in disguise
Heeheehee. Well, it does have some expensive components, including the 3-piece crank conversion kit.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-09, 11:18 AM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bik/1399300105.html
Schwinn Le Tour DeLuxe Bicycle 1980's Collectors Item - $750 (Clackamas Co Oregon)

1980's Schwinn Tour Deluxe Bicycle

Color Metallic Silver

Conditon -Used as is

Like new condition in my opinion but it's used of coarse

Price $ 750 Cash Only SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY

If you want to purchase a colletiable bike to ride or display here it is. 1980's Schwinn Made in Chichago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.