Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Arthritis impact on cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 09:14 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

I am 57 but have 2 older sisters. My oldest sister is 63 and is having a lot of trouble with rheumatoid arthritis in her hands. I have had dreams about retiring to a heavy cycling lifestyle but suddenly realized that arthritis in my hands might put a real damper on my distance biking plans if it develope in me as well. Do any of you have experience with rheumatoid arthritis and biking? Are you still able to bike a fair amount if you have it? What can you do to control it?

Thanks,

Don
Old 12-29-16, 05:07 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My oldest sister is late 60s. In the past 15 years she had most major joints replaced due to RA -both ankles, both elbows, both knees, so far one each hip and shoulder-something. I think a wrist too, IIRC.

She never was a cyclist at all, but very avid outdoors person - hiking, camping, birding, most of all hunting and fishing. She takes one of those biologic drugs (humira I think), methotrexate and other junk that knocks her down at times.

She's taken a buck during rifle season, 2 does by crossbow (with special permit for disabled hunters) since deer season started here in October and is still out there in the woods almost daily through this weekend when the season ends. Also did a number of pheasant hunts this fall. Got a lab puppy in July and is training him now to hunt. I don't know her stats this year but she always finishes in the top 5 or 10 birders in the state every year. Etc.

She never let it stop her. There were days so bad her husband had to brush her teeth because she couldn't move an arm. Keeps going.

Point is - despite severe disadvantages medically, willpower, desire, and motivation give you the mindset to continue, technology throws out work-around solutions to the roadblocks. I'm sure that you could find ways to keep riding.

Finally, this - a current Michigan Supreme Court Justice has been blind from birth - and a competitive triathlete. I have no clue how the blind ride a bike under any circumstance, let alone race, but obviously there is a way ...

I think it's mostly mindset. If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you probably won't.

I worried about RA too, so I got tested for it - fortunately I don't have it. If you haven't been, get tested - if negative it will ease your mind, if positive you can find a good rheumatologist now and work to slow progression and minimize symptoms.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 12-29-16 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-29-16, 10:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Brava for your sister. She follows my own main formula for life - Do as much as you can as long as you can.
Old 12-29-16, 10:38 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
In Berkeley, Ca. by the Marina, there is an adaptive bicycling project. I see folks out there biking all the time in various adapted cycles; these folks are hard-core and whatever their physical issues, they make it work. Some use just their feet to pedal, brake, as well as steer (recumbents). It might take some adjustments in your gear and your head to keep riding, but you can do it. If my body parts crap out on me, they can just weld me to a bike ;-). More seriously, if this is a concern, then check around where you live for services that can help you "re-design" a bike so you can continue to ride. Don't stop riding.
Old 12-29-16, 11:19 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 3,060 Times in 1,893 Posts
This isn't an answer to your question, but I have similar thoughts about my own osteoarthritis in my hip. I'm 55 and as of now, it is a minor annoyance - I control it chiefly with acetaminophen - but I suppose that I am headed eventually for worse problems and eventually surgery. I also have occasional problems with my knees. I fantasize about retiring and riding significantly more than I do now, which is 5000-6000 miles/year, but I wonder if my joints will let me.
Old 12-29-16, 12:59 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
This isn't an answer to your question, but I have similar thoughts about my own osteoarthritis in my hip. I'm 55 and as of now, it is a minor annoyance - I control it chiefly with acetaminophen - but I suppose that I am headed eventually for worse problems and eventually surgery. I also have occasional problems with my knees. I fantasize about retiring and riding significantly more than I do now, which is 5000-6000 miles/year, but I wonder if my joints will let me.
DISCLAIMER -- I have no medical training whatsoever, so take this for what it is - anecdotal information from someone who has been on the receiving end of a LOT of medical treatments over the years.

Last August, the orthopedic doc told me my left knee is totally shot, and I could qualify for a total knee replacement at any time I wanted it. Personally, I want to put it off as long as possible, I'm too young (51) and frankly, at this point, I'm going to keep doing what I want to do = including running and triathlon. Fortunately, I have a really high pain tolerance. I also went back to him in November and got a steroid shot in the knee, and he is going to do that every 3-4 months as needed. That did help a lot in terms of mobility, and so far is hanging in there - will go back mid to late Feb for another.

BEFORE replacement surgery, it's going to depend on your personal pain tolerance, your overall health and fitness, your attitude and outlook.

AFTER you go through a joint replacement, I think overall you will find you have a new lease on life, and cycling will be easier than it was pre-surgery. At least that seems to be what I've heard and read from people who have been through it.

Being told I could have knee replacement NOW did kind of freak me out a little bit, so I did a fair amount of reading online about endurance sports -- specifically running --after joint replacement. The data isn't extensive, because the traditional medical advice is to NOT run anymore, ever. However, the studies that have been done, which aren't too many, actually seemed to contradict that entirely -- endurance athletes who went back to running post-knee replacement actually had FEWER long-term complications. The one major concern not addressed, of course, was lifespan of the replacement joint - like anything, they wear out. The studies I found were conducted from 2001 to about 2007 - there has been 10 plus years of technological advancement in artificial joints, so I'm pretty optimistic long term.

But the above was all about weight-bearing exercise. Non-weight bearing exercise like cycling, swimming are seen as a great PLUS to long-term success with artificial joints, from what I've read. That seems to be consistent with what I've read on this forum from people who have been there. I don't think having a hip replacement would do anything but make it EASIER for you to keep riding long-term, once you get past the short-term pain and recovery process of the procedure. At least that is my opinion based on what I know at this time.

Oh - edited to add this -- I asked the ortho doc his opinion about joint supplements - good, bad, helpful, worthless. He said he thinks that in osteoarthritis patients (which is what I have, not rheumatoid) they really help to prevent or at least slow down cartilage deterioration, and he said he would strongly encourage me to take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 12-29-16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-29-16, 02:21 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I am lucky to only have arthritis in my hands. Hurst when I shake hands, but no problem with cycling, so far. My only concern is braking. I worry about squeezing to hard on the brake levers. If i starts bothering then, I my resort to another type of lever.
Old 12-29-16, 03:13 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I am lucky to only have arthritis in my hands. Hurst when I shake hands, but no problem with cycling, so far. My only concern is braking. I worry about squeezing to hard on the brake levers. If i starts bothering then, I my resort to another type of lever.
Give it ten years, we'll probably have on-board 360 degree radar with integrated automatic shifting, automatic braking, collision avoidance and warning systems, etc.
Old 12-29-16, 04:34 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Give it ten years, we'll probably have on-board 360 degree radar with integrated automatic shifting, automatic braking, collision avoidance and warning systems, etc.
Amen.........
Old 12-29-16, 07:33 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rheumatoid arthritis -- killed my father, indirectly I might add. I assure you that I have an intimate understanding of what it does to a person. ;-(

I am 75 yrs old (as of yesterday) and have a moderate amount of osteoarthritis. My 'bone doctor' tells me that I am better off than most others my age.
Still --- I have to turn over in the night to present another shoulder and hip to the assault of irritation/pain from said arthritis.

I have incomplete information about the causes of RA. But, I believe that my father's was due to a virus (insert long story here).
In any case, it is debilitating and persistant.

I cannot possibly feel your apprehension and concern. However; I can offer you the hope and promise off contemporary medicine; my father had only Aspirin -- there is so much more now.

Best Wishes,
Joe
Old 12-29-16, 09:04 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
I have RA and osteoarthritis and I ride as much as I can. Mine is mostly in my wrist, elbows and my left part of my neck. I was kind of having a rough year. Not just the arthritis, but life in general and I managed to get just under 2800 miles in. I really think I could have gotten in 4000 miles, but things came up that had to be takin care of. I had RA and osteo before I started riding at 66 years old. I'm 76 now, so I guess I'm not doing to bad. Some people I've met here have it pretty bad and they are still riding and my doctor told me to keep riding as well.
I just put new components on my bike and I'm looking for some new wheels now.
Anyhow, good luck and safe riding.
Old 12-29-16, 09:14 PM
Catsharp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have RA; was diagnosed about 2 years ago. It took the experts a while to figure out why my hands (mainly wrists) were killing me. Having ridden road bikes for as long as I can recall, I kept trying different riding setups, flat bar etc. Once it was diagnosed and they got me started on medicine, its under control more or less. Cannot ride the miles I used to but can definitely stay active. Now have it in ankles and one foot joint as well. Most of the experts have convinced most of us sufferers that early diagnosis and treatment with DMARDS (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) really slows the disease progression and whatever one does, gotta keep moving. I've spent long stretches swimming instead of riding and that is a great way to stay active (obviously not too popular on this board). There are a number of causation theories, I'm not convinced that anyone really understands these autoimmune disease processes real well. I cut out all flour products and generally feel better but cannot say it helped a great deal with the RA.
Old 12-29-16, 10:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 3,379 Posts
I believe in keeping moving. I have had achy knees for some time, and think that the more I ride, the better they get.

Rheumatoid arthritis scares me. However, it often hits a little younger, so you're doing well if you've hit 57 without it.

I have mixed feelings about NSAIDS. For ordinary pain, I'd prefer to avoid it. Mild inflammation is part of the healing process. On the other hand, anti-inflammatories are vital for treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Old 12-31-16, 07:11 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ive had RA now for 8 years. It started in my hands , then to my feet. Now it is in both of my shoulders per x rays I had taken last week. I've been on DMARDS also for 8 years. I also have osteoarthritis in my hips, neck and back.
Pretty much sucks, but you have to keep moving forward. I still ride, but not as fast as I use too. Actually much slower now. I use robe an active weight lifter but not anymore. I see my Reheumatogist this coming week and I probably will be put on a biological injection. The flare ups and pain can be pretty horrendous. I guess my only point is you have to keep moving forward and don't give up.
Old 12-31-16, 07:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Rheumatoid arthritis is a toughie. One of my neighbors has a severe case, and her hands have gradually become claw-like over the years, among the other complications. I have occasional bouts with psoriatic arthritis but it's nothing compared with rheumatoid and osteo arthritis.

Among the few adjustments I've made is to try to reduce my use of ibuprofen. While it's an effective OTC analgesic for me it's potentially harmful over the long run. For several years after a car wreck busted up my back and neck I was taking 600-800 mg of ibuprofen a day.

When I read that ibuprofen may aggravate psoriatic arthritis I tried to cut back to only when absolutely necessary, usually 200-300 mg some days. I've substituted plain aspirin at bedtime, hoping the anti-inflammatory effect will prevent the need for anything else. And I use a lot of topical analgesic creams, alternating hot and cold packs, soaks in a tub with epsom salts, etc. Usually it's enough to get me through the day and back on the bike or walking.
Old 12-31-16, 08:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have mixed feelings about NSAIDS. For ordinary pain, I'd prefer to avoid it. Mild inflammation is part of the healing process. On the other hand, anti-inflammatories are vital for treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Mild inflammation is part of the healing process for acute injuries, but arthritis (rheumatoid or osteoarthritis) is a chronic condition. I feel use of NSAIDS prior to activity is justified in that it allows me to maintain a general high level of fitness that might not otherwise be possible.
Old 01-02-17, 08:23 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I am 72 and have OA in my spine, advanced in neck and lumbar areas. Last year I had a Cordisone shot in lumbar region so I could walk again. I can ride pain free but walking is difficult, I have pain after only a few hundred yards. I live on Nsaids but nothing helps my neck.
Now recovering from hip fracture repaired with titanium rods and screws, doing well, riding again.
I have ridden 6,000+ miles every year for the last ten years and refuse to give up!
Old 01-02-17, 08:53 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 3,060 Times in 1,893 Posts
Good for you. Inspirational even.

Originally Posted by a77impala
I am 72 and have OA in my spine, advanced in neck and lumbar areas. Last year I had a Cordisone shot in lumbar region so I could walk again. I can ride pain free but walking is difficult, I have pain after only a few hundred yards. I live on Nsaids but nothing helps my neck.
Now recovering from hip fracture repaired with titanium rods and screws, doing well, riding again.
I have ridden 6,000+ miles every year for the last ten years and refuse to give up!
Old 01-05-17, 02:07 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
Doc says I have arthritis in my neck.

As the neck hurts more I tend to get higher bars. I currently use upside down mustache bars. Works for me.
Old 01-06-17, 12:06 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i want to thank those who posted here because i needed a shot in the arm.

i've broken said arm (again)and the pain i can face, what has terrified me is osteoporosis. i love to be active as are the rest of you but when even casual falls result in fractures, i think - is this it, is this the end? i can't skate any more? and biking of course but it is non weight bearing.

but you guys are managing. not easily, but you are. oh, but hope is a wonderful thing.

thank you, i can get past this.
Old 01-06-17, 08:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54
i want to thank those who posted here because i needed a shot in the arm.

i've broken said arm (again)and the pain i can face, what has terrified me is osteoporosis. i love to be active as are the rest of you but when even casual falls result in fractures, i think - is this it, is this the end? i can't skate any more? and biking of course but it is non weight bearing.

but you guys are managing. not easily, but you are. oh, but hope is a wonderful thing.

thank you, i can get past this.
Sometimes a post brings home to me how real the people you meet online actually are.
I am not sure what I mean here except to say,you touched me. Keep up the good fight. I'm in your corner.
Old 01-07-17, 06:39 AM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
and I in yours!
Old 01-07-17, 07:10 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I have OA in the index finger and thumb on both hands, right hand much worse than the left. I also have OA in my knees, and spine. I can easily shift and brake using my other fingers so there really isn't an issue there. For my back it feels better riding in the drops or on the hoods as stretched out as possible. My knees are another story, sometimes it takes a two or three day break between rides to give them a rest.

*EDIT* For myself, I would hesitate to do any pre-symptom RA testing. With the direction healthcare in the US is headed, the pre-existing condition coverage denial will likely return.

Last edited by 02Giant; 01-07-17 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-07-17, 07:11 AM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mother suffered from severe rheumatoid-arthritis for most of her life. Seeing her suffer and watching her hands and feet turn into deformed and twisted and practically useless appendages was part of the reason I gave up eating meat 44 years ago. I am 64 and, so far, I have not developed RA.

44 years ago there was hardly any evidence that giving up animal products could reduce the incidence of RA - I acted on intuition and internal logic. There is now some evidence that my intuition may be correct...

Why Do Plant-Based Diets Help Rheumatoid Arthritis? | NutritionFacts.org
Old 01-16-17, 12:25 PM
Tusky

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.viralviralvideos.com/201...iving-bicycle/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.