Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Are Pros Getting Too Powerful?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Are Pros Getting Too Powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 09:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
It's depressing that endless iterations of the same argument consistently gain far more attention on this subforum than any actual discussion of race results. Except maybe during the TdF.

I wish you guys would give it a rest, but it's your picnic, you get to choose your mains and your sides.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-13-24, 12:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
It's depressing that endless iterations of the same argument consistently gain far more attention on this subforum than any actual discussion of race results. Except maybe during the TdF.

I wish you guys would give it a rest, but it's your picnic, you get to choose your mains and your sides.
and then there's fantasy pro cycling which gets to harness whatever whenever forever. at the end of the day, it's entertainment for the masses. bona-fides, accuracy and legitimacy co-opt a certain amount of latitude depending on perception, ca$hi$h, media, performance, jingoism, cynicism and sympathy. choose the sport.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-13-24 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-13-24, 07:44 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts

Yes.

Didn't this forum used to have a warning about PEDs? Heck, I think there used to be a Drugs forum here at BF for a while, and all that talk got moved over there. Which would make this Pro Cycling forum even more of a ghost town, but in a good way. Whether it is doping or legit performance science, it is annoying when the sporting aspects take a back seat to speculation and opinion, no matter how well (rarely) or un- informed. I would love to see there be a physiology and performance discussion place which could house all the science and felonies. And a pony for Christmas, too.

IDK that BF is the venue for it. It certainly isn't for any legit racing discussion. But it's a comfortable spot to sit on the porch with a few old e-friends and chat about the weather. In between throwing rocks at the whipper-snappers with an axe to grind on Strava or Lance or, dag nabbit, just get off my lawn.
Old 03-13-24, 08:40 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
"Are the pros getting too powerful?"

One way to bring them down to earth would be to simply make them ride Eddy Merckx-like schedules. Race twice a week, all year. CLassics, Monuments. Two Tours. 6-days. Cyclocross. Won't ever happen. Any rider who chooses such a path would be committing to a lost year. CPA, the teams and and UCI would never stand for it. Merckx rode 1800 races. Over a 12 year stretch, the number of classics, grand tours he rode was staggering and were only maybe a third of his year's diet. With that many races, peaks are near impossible to manage. Altitude training simply does not happen. That three weeks in the Azores - nope. Muscle re-charging 8 weeks off in late fall - nah.

What riders do now vs a few years ago is apples and oranges. I suspect a real part of this was drugs. The EPO days lent themselves to sequestering at altitude or Atlantic islands to drug and train far from the drug controls. But the reality that targeted training instead of weekly racing works has stayed. And is not going to go away.
Old 03-13-24, 11:06 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts

For the record, this thread was posted in the General forum (by me), then moved here by a moderator. No my choice.

Old 03-15-24, 05:57 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Just watched a great interview with mr cheat himself - Lance.

He covered in depth is training with Dr Ferrari, his methods and the results.

Interesting to say the least.

One key takeaway - at his peak, his best ever - right at 7w/kg for 30 min. His best power ever. Didn't reach that level every year, couldn't reach that level every year - while being doped up to the max.

Anyone close to those levels has to be looked at with some level of skepticism.
Old 03-15-24, 09:14 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
I have been listening to the Performance Process podcast from Escape Collective https://escapecollective.com/introdu...ocess-podcast/ . One of the stated goals is to examine how today's riders are equaling or exceeding the performances/speed of the EPO era. There are some who believe that the drugs/doping were preventing riders from exploring the gains available by better nutrition/training/aero/technology because they could always just turn to an injection instead.

I have no idea how prevalent doping is among the peloton today, but it does seem like a number of positive tests can be attributed to mistakes by athletes being unaware of trace amounts of substances in food and actual medicine. Maybe Im just a Pollyanna. But I really hope Pogacar is clean.
Likes For force10: