Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Right Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 07:00 AM
airpower81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right Size

I’m 5’8 and usually ride a 54cm bike. I have come across a Trek ALR 4 in a 52cm. Will that bike work or would it be too small?
Old 03-17-24, 08:07 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
You must mean the Checkpoint? If so and it is a 2023 the geometry is odd when compared to others. You may need to downsize from your normal top tube length size. Best to test ride. I feel the Trek sizing charts is off for the Checkpoint but does apply to the Domane.

It also depends on what you have planned for it. The stand over for like size of the Checkpoint compared to a Domane is about 3 cm or so larger. Frame reach is longer but the stem is shorter. Sizing down drops the stack height so one bends over farther. But flipping the stem up can compensate for this. It just not look as sporty.

Suggest to look at the stand over
Old 03-17-24, 08:35 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I have a strict policy to not buy any bike that needs the stem flipped positive as soon as I get it.

Last edited by nomadmax; 03-17-24 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-17-24, 10:25 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by airpower81
I’m 5’8 and usually ride a 54cm bike. I have come across a Trek ALR 4 in a 52cm. Will that bike work or would it be too small?
You'd be very hard-pressed to even tell the difference, if they weren't labeled. Specifically, the reach on the 54 is 4mm longer than the 52, and the stack is 18mm higher. The reach difference is totally inconsequential, and the stack difference is way less than you can adjust for with spacers and stems.
Old 03-18-24, 08:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by airpower81
You usually riding a 54cm bike is of little help here. You need to compare the geometry of your bike to the geometry of the bike you are looking at.

Compare these things...
- stack height
- reach length
- stem length
- stem angle
- spacer stack height
- front center measurement(least important since it may not be easily known)

A 54cm bike by one company can ride like a 58cm bike by another company.