Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Touring / Gravel tyre choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 05:07 AM
Gyfte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Touring / Gravel tyre choice

Hello,

I am riding a multi-day cycling trip of 1000km (+/- 100km/day).
For tire and wheel choice.

Currently I have 2 wheel sets
- Carbon 700C (Bontrager aeolus 3V) 11-34 + Bontrager R3 28mm slick tires
- Alu 650B (DT Swiss GR1600 ) 11-42 + WTB venture 47mm

The route we are riding (south france in may => dry weather) is going according to komoot :
unpaved 15%
hardened gravel 5%
hardened 19%
asphalt 60%

Everything has to come with the bike, but we are staying in airbnb's, so no sleeping equipment.
I estimate that the bike (10kg) will have to carry at least another 20kg of luggage.
The intention is to have a lot of comfort, we are not focused on speed.

Now I am wondering which wheels I should ride the tour with. I also have a set of Specialized pathfinder pro's 700/40 at home. and if necessary I will buy another set of extra tires if needed.

would like your advice on this.
Old 03-20-24, 02:28 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
I would go with the 650b wheelset. The wider gearing and wider tires will both add to the overall comfort of the ride experience.

Sounds like a fun adventure!
Old 03-22-24, 05:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If you're staying at Airbnbs, then 20kg seems like a lot of gear to carry. And I know the focus is not on speed, but it's still 100km per day so I might lean towards efficiency - 700c with the 40mm Pathfinders might be my choice.
Old 03-25-24, 02:32 AM
Gyfte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
If you're staying at Airbnbs, then 20kg seems like a lot of gear to carry. And I know the focus is not on speed, but it's still 100km per day so I might lean towards efficiency - 700c with the 40mm Pathfinders might be my choice.

I will try less kg, i still need to list everything i need to carry. We won't be cooking either, so i guess 20kg is indeed a lot.

bags are ortlieb backrollers + steering bag ultimate 6.

i guess relevant choise

700c + pathfinders 40

650b + WTB Venture 47

650b + Slick 45+ like schwalbe marathons?
Old 03-25-24, 04:44 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
I just wrapped up a 10,500 mile tour around the US perimeter and used the WTB Byways on a 650b wheelset, 3 sets actually. I went through all the terrain you're talking about and they were awesome, except for mud and sand. The nice and wide 47mm absorbed so much that it was like being in a Cadillac. Just my two cents.
Old 03-25-24, 05:23 AM
Gyfte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chief9245
I just wrapped up a 10,500 mile tour around the US perimeter and used the WTB Byways on a 650b wheelset, 3 sets actually. I went through all the terrain you're talking about and they were awesome, except for mud and sand. The nice and wide 47mm absorbed so much that it was like being in a Cadillac. Just my two cents.
Nice Setup,
I Hadn't concidered a tire like de byways, but i makes perfectly sense. i think i'll put those on.

any advice on saddles?
Old 03-25-24, 06:35 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Sure. I don't know about you, but I'm 58 and have tried every saddle under the sun, literally thousands of dollars, and still had saddle sores. I'd been fitted at different shops all to no avail. Plus wearing padded shorts just sucks. They are uncomfortable at best and can get pretty expensive.
I found a seat company based out of California founded by a chiropractor. It's called Infinity Bike Seat, website is infinitybikeseat.com. An intriguing design. Plus it's designed to be used without padded shorts. I bought the E1X for $387. It is by far, the best saddle I have ever used and I will never go back to anything else, it's that good. I did a 10,500 mile tour around the US perimeter with it. Average 50 miles a day for 323 days and never had a saddle sore or any discomfort. I know I'm gushing on the seat but it's that good. Plus just wearing a pair of Andiamo liners and a pair of Aerotech commuter shorts was just what I wanted, no more padded diapers!. I'm more into comfort now than how I look.