Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Help choosing Gravel Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 12:26 PM
airpower81

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help choosing Gravel Bike

I am just getting into gravel cycling and am looking for my first bike. I am torn between the Trek Checkpoint AL5 and the Speacialized Diverge Comp E5. Both have things I like. I would be using it for a mix of gravel and paved.
Old 03-03-24, 12:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by airpower81
I am just getting into gravel cycling and am looking for my first bike. I am torn between the Trek Checkpoint AL5 and the Speacialized Diverge Comp E5. Both have things I like. I would be using it for a mix of gravel and paved.
Those have pretty different geometry, at least in my size. If those are the final 2 you are considering,then I would say you should base your decision on which you like the feel of more since riding geometry will logically feel different.
...but that's me and my size and what I value.
Old 03-03-24, 02:07 PM
airpower81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 5’8 so in most bikes I’m a 54. I am definitely looking for comfort for longer rides. I’m also open to anything in the $2,000 range.
Old 03-03-24, 03:36 PM
Samac

Bikes: ‘23 Salsa Cutthroat, ‘12 Cannondale Synapse, ‘09 Cannondale Rize, ‘00 Jamis Tangier, ‘87 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
As mstateglfr stated the geometries are different enough to make an appreciable difference. The Diverge has a taller stack and shorter reach. You’ll be a bit more upright and not as stretched out. If you’re like me you’ll find that much more comfortable especially for longer rides. Good luck in your search.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 03-03-24, 04:09 PM
airpower81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so I know what you’re saying…the diverge will be a more comfortable ride? Thanks for the patience.
Old 03-03-24, 04:22 PM
Samac

Bikes: ‘23 Salsa Cutthroat, ‘12 Cannondale Synapse, ‘09 Cannondale Rize, ‘00 Jamis Tangier, ‘87 Trek 1000

Just so I know what you’re saying…the diverge will be a more comfortable ride? Thanks for the patience.
Yes, I believe the Diverge could be more comfortable for you. I know it would be for me. I like a more upright less stretched out riding position. Your best bet is to take a ride on each bike you are considering to know what would be most comfortable for you.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 03-03-24, 06:14 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You're going to get a million leads. Just to add a couple I used when looking at a good value a year or so ago:
Check out the Salsa Journeyer options at REI. They have a bunch of options/price points. I bought the two cheapest options ~$1k each for my wife and my "travel bikes" which we leave in the RV in another state. One is a 2x8 Shimano the other 1x9 Microshift. Both work very well and were good values. If I had a $2k budget There's excellent, upgraded options. One reason I went with the REI option is that it gave the benefit of ordering online and having it delivered and assembled at REI. But they're just good bikes for the price.

Also, check out Poseidon. They have great value and have a good reputation - search the forums on that word and you'll find a bunch of owners. If you're comfortable assembling and tuning a bike, you might check them out.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-03-24, 06:51 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You're going to get a million leads. Just to add a couple I used when looking at a good value a year or so ago:
Check out the Salsa Journeyer options at REI. They have a bunch of options/price points. I bought the two cheapest options ~$1k each for my wife and my "travel bikes" which we leave in the RV in another state. One is a 2x8 Shimano the other 1x9 Microshift. Both work very well and were good values. If I had a $2k budget There's excellent, upgraded options. One reason I went with the REI option is that it gave the benefit of ordering online and having it delivered and assembled at REI. But they're just good bikes for the price.

Also, check out Poseidon. They have great value and have a good reputation - search the forums on that word and you'll find a bunch of owners. If you're comfortable assembling and tuning a bike, you might check them out.
I’ll add REI does do test rides. One can go online and check the inventory to see what is available to test ride.

OP on your choices be sure to compare different sizes. The number sizes vary. I’m 6’-1” and would ride a 56cm Checkpoint.
Old 03-03-24, 07:23 PM
Samac

Camilo makes a good recommendation with the Salsa Journeyer. I really like Salsa bikes. I’d recommend that you take a close look at the Salsa Fargo also. It’s a fantastic gravel bike with substantial clearance for larger tires and when the ride gets muddy. It can handle rougher roads and singletrack as well.

Cheers,

Scott
Likes For Samac:
Old 03-03-24, 09:40 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Samac
Camilo makes a good recommendation with the Salsa Journeyer. I really like Salsa bikes. I’d recommend that you take a close look at the Salsa Fargo also. It’s a fantastic gravel bike with substantial clearance for larger tires and when the ride gets muddy. It can handle rougher roads and singletrack as well.

Cheers,

Scott
A friend has a Fargo - it's a very strong and versitile bike. He rides with ~2.5" tires on it.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-03-24, 10:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Have you ridden the 2 bikes that you have narrowed your search down to?
If you have, what do you like/dislike about the bikes?
If you haven't, go do that. You will actually experience the bikes and get more valuable feedback that what you will get here.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-03-24, 10:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pretty sure REI sells the Cannondale Topstone. Good bike. I use this with a 2nd wheelset with 28mm slicks, it’s my easy spin road bike, I can run less air in these tires on wider rims, makes it pretty comfortable,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-05-24, 04:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Do you have an existing road bike that you like? If so, it can serve as a frame geometry reference against which to compare both the Trek Checkpoint AL5 and the Specialized Diverge Comp E5, so you can tell which one you would likely feel more comfortable on.
Old 03-05-24, 04:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Do you have an existing road bike that you like? If so, it can serve as a frame geometry reference against which to compare both the Trek Checkpoint AL5 and the Specialized Diverge Comp E5, so you can tell which one you would likely feel more comfortable on.
Good advice. Matching known good geometry is a really good way to find a new bike.
Old 03-07-24, 06:04 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I tried to buy a Trek Checkpoint AL5 during the pandemic as a second gravel bike. I thought it was a good package for the money, but the wait list was stretching out to almost a year, so I passed.

As others have pointed out, ride each one and see how they feel. Personally, I am not a fan of the Specialized Future Shock. I tend to hang on to my bikes for a long time and I have been burned in the past when a manufacturer no longer supported a "proprietary" part. I don't know how much maintenance this thing needs, but I would ask the shop about it. I may be nitpicking, but I have had bikes tied up in a shop for weeks while they tried to find proprietary wheel spokes (in one case), or a third-party shop that would service a "Brain" unit when the Specialized stopped offering service on them after only five years.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 03-13-24, 10:55 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
Personally, I am not a fan of the Specialized Future Shock.
This ^^^. I am not a fan of the future shock either. I would avoid the Diverge. I would look into an alloy topstone 1 with 2x grx group set. It can double as a nice endurance road bike with two wheel sets.
I have seen a few places that have the topstone on sale.

https://www.google.com/search?client...shock+problems
Old 03-14-24, 09:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I’m 5’8 so in most bikes I’m a 54. I am definitely looking for comfort for longer rides. I’m also open to anything in the $2,000 range.
Take a look at the Giant Revolt.